Kayaks for the kids...

smokedcuda

Kayaks for the kids...

Post by smokedcuda »

I am excited that both of my young ones are wanting kayaks to fish from and take on camping trips etc, with me. However I am not super excited that the Jackson cruise 10 is what they are both liking. I will need 2 yaks and that gets pricey quick. Any of you fishing dads out there have experience with some small kids transitioning into yaks. I have an 8 year old boy and an 11 year old girl. I run a cuda 12 myself so I love the Jackson brand but am looking for alternatives for the kids to explore all out options for youth sized kayaks and maximize their experience and enjoyment. Its a good problem to have I guess bu I may actually need 3 yaks as the wife is feeling a bit left out now with al the talk about yaks for the kids. So if anyones wife is totaly satified with a particular yak for the ladies I'd love to hear about that boat as well. Any input here is appreciated thanks
DumpTruck

Re: Kayaks for the kids...

Post by DumpTruck »

My daughter has had good luck with the Perception Pescador 10. It's a nice yak for the price. 4-$500. When she was younger she was in a cheap ~12' sit inside. Very light and easy for youngins to maneuver. But definitely trickier getting in and out.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

I found a deal for a couple 8 ft SOT pelicans for my kids- they range in age from 5-12.... I thought I'd see if they liked it, and if we got enough use to justify upgrading. So far we have used them 2-3 times in the past few months, so the jury is still out. I am hopeful that I can get out more with the kids now that weather is getting warmer and fishing is picking up. I'd encourage you to get em started young and you'll have a fun family activity ro share for years to come.
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Watch craigslist. Always someone moving/upgrading/getting out and selling reasonably. Then when they outgrow them, resell them and use the funds toward the upgrade.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Wilderness, pescador, Malibu etc have a good resell and r goof yaks

Both my kid started at 6 us old with a WS Ripper, then T100 when they were 12 and no water my daughter 19 fishes a T120and my son T140 and T160

Looks like they now want Hobies like dad!

Moral of store they will love the sport get them a decent kayak
Pescador are old tarpon molds keep it simple

So I would suggest a 8ft and a 10 ft kayak for kids and a 12 ft for wife
As smaller child gets older graduate him to the 1O' sell the 8' and get a 14'

Give 12' to daughter and new 14' to wife
You probably keep initial kayaks 4-5 yes depending on use and kid growth
As you can see by my experience and processor will only need to resell one kayak Or keep as buddy yak

I did that and now sitting on 7 yaks! :lol:

If you like Jackson kayaks get them later on as the get the bug!

Hope this helps

Let's go fishin....Coco
Z-man
flyboy718

Post by flyboy718 »

I just picked up a Future Beach 124 from Dick's on Friday evening. They are on sale for $249. A boy scout was selling a discount card outside the store and it had a coupon for $10 off a $50 or more purchase plus my military discount and I got the yak for $209 and a nice paddle that was on sale for $38 and a life jacket from Bass Pro for $20. My girl is 10. I was very impressed with this yak and the features it has. They are made in USA as well. http://futurebeach.com/explorer-124-so.html
bullet.catcher

Post by bullet.catcher »

Buy all the other kayaks that you want. When my kids showed interest in going out with me. That was the perfect excuse to get the other kayaks I wanted. Now I have one for just about every situation. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Chiken97

Post by Chiken97 »

Both my son (11) daughter (15) started on a Emotion Stealth 10 that I picked up at Academy during Black Friday for $299. While not the greatest, it still catches fish. I've used a couple times myself. My daughter liked my Tarpon 120 so I have since moved here up to a Pescador 12. Found this cheap on craigslist. The Pescador definitely tracks better & seems slightly faster .
birddog28

Post by birddog28 »

I have just listed a Malibu Mini X for sale on this forum. My daughter started in one of these, my eight year old son currently has one. They are very stable and plenty good for adults also. Call me if you are interested. 832-216-2 013
GoneFishing78

Post by GoneFishing78 »

I am in the same boat with my kid of similar age. Will have to check into these options as well.
Dustpan86

Post by Dustpan86 »

I have a 12 year old son in a Pescador 12 and a 10 year old son in an Ocean Kayak Caper. If I was looking o buy more kayaks for kids I would get more capers stable enough that I don't have to worry about him flipping and light enough he can paddle all day without issue. he fished his first tournament Saturday and loved it
cbump

Post by cbump »

Ordered my 11 year old daughter a WS Tarpon 100. Still waiting on it to come in so we'll see how it works out. Was only $650 so pretty good deal I think.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

birddog28 wrote:I have just listed a Malibu Mini X for sale on this forum. My daughter started in one of these, my eight year old son currently has one. They are very stable and plenty good for adults also. Call me if you are interested. 832-216-2 013

I regret getting rid of my mini X .... great boat for the kids and useful for when I didn't feel like loading the trailer to tote my Tarpon 160.

Have pics of my youngest two standing together in a miniX , great stability.