Wading Galveston Island Bay???

SmileDoc

Wading Galveston Island Bay???

Post by SmileDoc »

I'm coming over from Austin this weekend but will not be bringing my yak. I will only have 1/2 day this weekend to hopefully do some wade fishing in the bay. Are there any places that my wife could drop me off so I can wade a relatively firm shoreline?

Years (and years!) ago I used to wade the pocket by Seawolf Park. Is that an option?
What about GISP?
My other thought would be far down the west end.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!
WhiteRice

Re: Wading Galveston Island Bay???

Post by WhiteRice »

GISP at Lake Como has some decent wading from there to Dana Cove and you can wade either side of Jamaica beach as well (just watch out for the rays). They have not been overly productive for me as of late but if you don'y have your yak (like I haven't since the days I have been down have been very windy) it's an easy wade. GISP would be $5 but the parking, park patrol and access are worth it to me.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

GvISP has some hard wading sand in Dana Cove but where mentioned above can be a bit of a mud-bath. Sportsman's Road is another option except that I think there is some wetlands restoration work going on there that could be disruptive to the fish populations. There are a few others, one of which I will send in a PM.

But, as I will always recommend; before all other plans, if the surf is green and only has breakers over the first and second sand bars, AND there is bait out there, wade the surf out to the second sand bar.
Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov »

Would you like to use a kayak while you are down here? I'm not too far from the area and can run mine down and meet yall, let you borrow it and then just call me about an hour before you want me to pick it up. OK Kayak Big Game 2, lowrance elite 4 dsi, couple rod holders, landing net, rudder, bending branches carbon fiber paddle, fish bag etc... You would just need to bring your poles and lures or you can use mine although they aren't the best.

Free of charge, just shoot me a message and I can send you my phone number. I work a couple miles from Louis Bait shop or Fat Boys so if you want to fish tiki island or Pierce Marsh that would make it a bit easier for me, I can just go hang out at the shop and get some work done on my project cars while you fish.
SmileDoc

Post by SmileDoc »

Geez Kalashnikov, talk about dangling candy before my drooling eyes!!!!
But thanks anyway; you are extremely kind and generous. But I'm just being a bit lazy in not bringing mine down, and I'm not at all comfortable leaving it on my car top at the motel I am staying at or Moody Gardens while my daughter competition dances for her school this weekend.
I'm just looking for a 3-5 hr wade.

But I can't thank you enough for your offer!
WhiteRice

Post by WhiteRice »

YakLash... you are right about the mud at the inner Lake Como cut. I have found that if you wade in at the first kayak launch and continue around the bend towards Dana, you can avoid a lot of the "oatmeal" if you stay about 20 yds from the shoreline and continue West. I just about lost my first pair of wading shoes by going straight out att he second kayak launch about 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the clarification.
Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov »

SmileDoc wrote:Geez Kalashnikov, talk about dangling candy before my drooling eyes!!!!
But thanks anyway; you are extremely kind and generous. But I'm just being a bit lazy in not bringing mine down, and I'm not at all comfortable leaving it on my car top at the motel I am staying at or Moody Gardens while my daughter competition dances for her school this weekend.
I'm just looking for a 3-5 hr wade.

But I can't thank you enough for your offer!
No problem, I bought it from a very generous guy on here and got a great deal, along with all that I have learned on here the least I can do is offer to help out a fellow kayaker when they come into town. The offer stands anytime you are in town and need a yak to use.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Curious how your trip ended up going….any luck?
SmileDoc

Post by SmileDoc »

It was a BUST! But not for any other reason but logistics. At the last moment, we found out from my daughter at UT that she was being assigned as a Young Life Leader to one of the Austin High Schools. So instead of leaving Austin at 8am Friday, we stayed till the event end at 10pm! So instead, we left early Saturday morning for my younger daughter's dance competition that lasted all day and evening Saturday and began early again on Sunday. After visiting family Sunday late afternoon, it was time to return to Austin. Bummer!!!!

BUT... OMG, did I find some fish! Her events were at Moody Gardens and in between a couple of dances on Saturday, I walked along the canal that is on the east of the Moody complex and goes into Harve Lafitte & Lake Madeline. I could not believe its grass beds and the frequent mullet on top. The canal looked to be hard sand bottom. My rod in the car I know started twitching. Then on Sunday after all the awards were given, I pleaded with my wife for 10 minutes to walk to the very back (N) of the property, just to the west of the western most mooring pier on the back side of Moody Gardens. Again, mucho grass beds, but this time with mullet jumping like crazy. I have never seen an extended length streak-splash that traversed at least 15 feet in a matter of a second or two. There were trout and/or reds ripping through there.
Well, big note to self, try there next time.

But I want to thank your info. You have been an awesome contributor of knowledge to all of us other guys throughout the years. Thanks!