ADIM- PLEASE DELETE THIS POST

Cityfisher

Re: Voice your Opinion - The Perfect kayak

Post by Cityfisher »

This is a question I have been asking myself for 3 weeks now and have done a lot of research.
My choice is going to be the Feelfree Lure 13.5. Everything you listed received good reviews with the exception of 3 things. It is heavy, and from what I have read it's slow (but I do not care about it being slow), and requires the rudder to track good. I went and looked at one at ACK last weekend and this thing is a beast! I love it and am going to get it as soon as I secure a storage unit. Probably this week. A cool feature is the sonar pod. Attach fish finder to the pod, transducer to the bottom of pod and inside the pod stores your wires and batteries. Take the pod out all in one piece when traveling. Love that. And later this year you will be able to buy a peddle drive for it or a trolling motor that fits where the sonar pod goes I think. (Not that I'm interested in that though.
Attachments
IMG_1051_grande.JPG
IMG_1051_grande.JPG (37.61 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
Sonar-Pod.jpg
wardtodd2

Post by wardtodd2 »

I started out with a basic 10 ft heritage angler. The only upgrade I made was the seat. Then I recently sold it and made a choice between a fast but no frills yak vs a more stable yak that was "nicer". I went for length and speed over stability and fancy features. Aside from speed I would say have a comfortable seat. I bought the Pescador 140 which I think you can only get at academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

No such thing as a perfect kayak, unless you bend the laws of physics; that's why I own 4 kayaks. Depending on where I'm fishing I'll grab a certain kayak which attributes make it excel in for that particular body of water. I've got my coast yak (Rockport/BTB), my lake yak, my big river yak (Brazos/Colorado & overnight camping trips) , and my small river/stream yak (Hill Country Rivers/rivers where a lot of portaging is required).
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Neumie wrote:No such thing as a perfect kayak, unless you bend the laws of physics; that's why I own 4 kayaks. Depending on where I'm fishing I'll grab a certain kayak which attributes make it excel in for that particular body of water. I've got my coast yak (Rockport/BTB), my lake yak, my big river yak (Brazos/Colorado & overnight camping trips) , and my small river/stream yak (Hill Country Rivers/rivers where a lot of portaging is required).
Haha, You got it all covered prety good Neumie! And I agree with you.
To balance my fleet a Viking would be my next choice.
The Feelfree Lure, a Viking profish probably and my little 10ft Heritage I have now would be a perfect fleet for me. It's fun to dream!!
Yakety-Yak

Post by Yakety-Yak »

Ok maybe I should have used a different title and be more specific. This is directed towards "ones dream kayak for the bay/ marsh" not River or BTB. As I am aware that river yaks and BTB yak are designed differently with certain things in mind.

Edited post
Cityfisher

Re: Voice your Opinion - Your dream bay/ marsh kayak

Post by Cityfisher »

I haven't paddled to many different ones, but I went with a guide on his Viking profish and that was really nice in the bay and marshes. They are really light for the size and stability it had.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

But with that said, your not gonna get everything on that list with 1 kayak.
It's not possible. Conditions can change and make your dream yak not that great on any day. I'm hoping this new one i get and my heritage covers most waters and conditions good.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I agree that no kayak does it all. It depends how you fish and style of fishing. For stalking fish while standing and casting, it's hard to beat a WS Commander.

I went to the fishing show and saw some kayaks, but none looked nearly as good as the Commander for standing and fly fishing. Everything I saw had too many hatches and stuff to snag fly line. Standing is such a plus if you are into sight casting, fly or conventional. Having a high bench seat to get up to standing position and down from is a huge plus. Standing enables one to see bait activity and predator action and makes fishing more like stalk hunting. I paddle while standing and the Commander is very stable for that. I wish more kayaks were made, designed with that attribute in mind. The seat needs to be pretty high to make getting up and down from a standing position easier.
JMS

Post by JMS »

I love my Cuda 14, would only change a few things; 20lbs lighter, on 2014 version to remove the center hatch lid you have to move your rods off the holder to fully open it, I love the pull out tackle pod like the Viking reload and wish my Cuda had one. Not the fastest or most stable but very good at both.

Yakety-Yak

Post by Yakety-Yak »

Okay I feel like yall are missing what I'm trying to get at here. I was never asking if there was a kayak that could do it all what would you want. I am simply asking what would YOU want on your dream kayak for the type of fishing you do. What ever it may be. Not an all in one kayak. If you mainly fish bays and marsh, what do you look for? What would you like in a kayak that you don't see on any other kayak.
Yakety-Yak

Post by Yakety-Yak »

JMS wrote:I love my Cuda 14, would only change a few things; 20lbs lighter, on 2014 version to remove the center hatch lid you have to move your rods off the holder to fully open it, I love the pull out tackle pod like the Viking reload and wish my Cuda had one. Not the fastest or most stable but very good at both.
Thanks. Good feedback. Keep it coming.
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

I have one of the original cuda s and couldn't be happier. I fish marshes and bays and am able to stand if needed. The chair is comfy and I do have a rudder. Yes it is a bit heavy and a tad slower than a ws 140. Another bay yak I would get is a ws 160. They are supper fast but no standing. Easy to cut across the bay and work shore lines. My buddy yak or kids yak is a predator 13 and it is good to but the cuda seat is more comfy.
jeff89

Post by jeff89 »

Yakety-Yak wrote:Okay I feel like yall are missing what I'm trying to get at here. I was never asking if there was a kayak that could do it all what would you want. I am simply asking what would YOU want on your dream kayak for the type of fishing you do. What ever it may be. Not an all in one kayak. If you mainly fish bays and marsh, what do you look for? What would you like in a kayak that you don't see on any other kayak.
So we're talking about dreams?

I want a Nucanoe Frontier 12 with a thicker, tougher mold. Maybe add some gelcoat. Slap a 15hp jet drive outboard on the transom that weighs 50lbs (we're still dreamin)...then i want a SUP paddle where the paddle end can roll up like a burrito and morph into a pushpole. And then, in my dreams, i'd have a bilge system that sucks up saltwater and converts it to Pacifico...sweet, sweet dreams :)
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I have had and/or used a number of different kayaks during my lifetime. They range from my first...,a canvas covered 18 ft., wood framed yak...,to my recently sold, Native Ultimate 14 footer.

In 2003, I purchased a SEDA revenge. It is a 17 1/2 foot long, 25" wide, kevlar SOT that weights about 40 lbs. When you end your first paddle stroke, it is apparent that you are in a real, well designed kayak that is all about paddling.

I have fished the open bays, shallow flats, and, narrow channels of the Gulf coast. I have run several of our rivers, cruised down the inner coastal, and, have used it on many overnight camping excursions.

I have trolled fresh water lakes, used heavier tackle for bull reds, extensively fly fished out of it, and, even used it on a couple of trips to the Chandaleaurs (sp).

As a minimalist kayak fisherman, and, an avid kayak paddler, I can easily proclaim this kayak as my dream kayak. It is presently the sole remaining boat in my fleet.
Cityfisher

Re: ADIM- PLEASE DELETE THIS POST

Post by Cityfisher »

Yakety-Yak wrote:Since no one is taking this seriously or is missing the point completely. Admins, please delete this post. Thanks.
I thought we all understood and answered your question seriously. I know I was being serious. My dream kayak (stability, comfortability and able to stand) is exactly what I showed you that I want for bays and marshes, with the exception I wish it was about 20lbs lighter.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

my dream yak would have a bar.
crusher

Post by crusher »

what would YOU want on your dream kayak for the type of fishing you do.
A magical redfish detector with a pointer. I'm in a slump.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I want one that flies and helps me fight crime.
Also it should talk and make daiquiris.

EdK

Post by EdK »

One that does not wear me out because its slow. ... T160's.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

My dream kayak for the marsh or inland areas I fish needs to be light weight, stable enough to stand up, have decent speed, excellent tracking, lots of tracks for accessories, a comfortable seat that can be set-up high enough to stand easily and a transducer mount. A small storage hatch for personal items near the seat would be nice also. My Native Slayer non-propel has so far been the closest I could get to my dream kayak. I had a Cuda, but did not like the center hatch as I found it confining and not really suited to my needs.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Sure is funny how a post to be deleted is getting more attention than any other thread. LOL

The "perfect" kayak is the one that you can use anytime anywhere with as little effort and gear as possible. A big screen portable TV is always an added benefit in my yak.
EdK

Post by EdK »

kickingback wrote:Sure is funny how a post to be deleted is getting more attention than any other thread. LOL

The "perfect" kayak is the one that you can use anytime anywhere with as little effort and gear as possible. A big screen portable TV is always an added benefit in my yak.
Ha! With a Lazy Boy.
jakehardgrave

Post by jakehardgrave »

We need a kayak with a galley an twin berths. Reverse osmosis water filtration would also be nice