Post by Salty Bum »

LUISJG wrote:bass flies
Nice :clap: :clap: :clap:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by kickingback »

Yes very nice colors for bass. Well done.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I meant to just make a couple of crappie jigs, then a clouser and just kept going with no real plan.

And do not get Zap a Gap on your tongue and lips. Scary and weird at the same time.
Attachments
IMG_20170131_201154144.jpg
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

LOL

Flies look good
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Darn, Piscatori, you've tied up some darn good bonefish flies. I might have to give up watching this program for a while. Been spending too much time lately at the fly desk trying to copy everyone's flies.
ATXflyguy83

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

A buddy and I are hitting up Colorado Bend State Park for the white bass run next month and being the excited school girl that I am, I decided to tie some clousers. We are kayaking from the park toward Buchanan and camping somewhere along the way to head back up the next day. I cannot wait.
Attachments
20170203_090040_01.jpg
20170203_085356 (1).jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Tying up some Stillwater patterns for a trip to Utah in late April.
[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... f7ae17.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Also some chub and leech imitating zonker style wraps.

Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

nice
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

That leech made me think of a sand eel type fly. Wonder is there is such a thing.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Piscator wrote:That leech made me think of a sand eel type fly. Wonder is there is such a thing.
If you can imagine it, it exists. If not, it can. Something like a tarpon bunny perhaps.

Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

Cuervo Jones wrote:
Piscator wrote:That leech made me think of a sand eel type fly. Wonder is there is such a thing.
If you can imagine it, it exists. If not, it can. Something like a tarpon bunny perhaps.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Tied up some of Del Canty's Giant Grizzly Shrimp in #4. This is the pattern he used to catch the Utah state record rainbow trout (26 lbs and change) at Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Joe Butler also used it to catch his record brown trout (27 lbs and some), also at Flaming Gorge. It should fool some of our local bass too since it looks more like a crawfish than a shrimp.

Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

nice - I will post mine from to day tomorrow - next door neighbor had a sink back up and at 84 and 88 I did not want them or him crawl under the sink to try and fix it - great couple and the woman can cook
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Nice ties CJ. Is that a feather for the backs or some kind of "skin"? I like the looks of them!

Bought some .5mm thick 3M VHB double sided tape to use as a "fish skin" or like the gummy minnow skins. Works great! Little hard to deal with the double sided issue but I used some iridescent film I have to add a sheen to the outer skin. I used store bought tapes of different styles for the inner body and used "homemade" eyes on one (yellow eyes) using those small colored "price" labels you can buy for garage sales. I use Sally Hanson hard as nails to cover the sticky body if i don't add the flashy film and it does not make it stiff or hard. Works well and is much cheaper than buying all those "gummy" skins at $4 a pack and can only tie two or three patterns with them. This roll of tape can do about 50.
The first one below has a little feather in the tail to give it more detail. I will work on making a few with natural looking lines and features using as many materials as I can to get a better looking fly.
They may not look as nice and tailored as the gummy minnows that you see out there but I will get better at making these and have a good stock on hand to fish with.
If anyone else has ideas of materials they use and want to share that would be cool!!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

The shellback is squirrel tail same as the tail. Very simple tie with only 3 ingredients: squirrel (or other long hair for back and tail), dubbing (your choice) or chenille, and a grizzly hackle or two. Add enough weight to keep it near the bottom and presto! Done!
Del Canty first tied it in the early 1970's based on his theory that trout in waters with lots of scuds (freshwater shrimp) get so focused on the general shape and image of the shrimp, that they'll even eat one that's far bigger than any live scud. He fished from a float tube at night and used to pull in some real monsters like this record rainbow (on the shrimp):
The fly was a local secret on Flaming Gorge in the '70's and early '80's until the rainbows and browns declined and lake trout took over. Being such a secret, the fly never gained much press aside from some mentions in magazines that never showed it or detailed its construction.
Del's friend, Joe Butler had a Grizzly Shrimp (#4) tied on one evening in April, 1978 when he was walking the shoreline near the dam and cast towards where he saw a big fish porpoising and chasing chubs. The result was his record brown that was on the books for over 20 years:
He theorized that the Grizzly Shrimp mimicked a crawfish and Flaming Gorge does have plenty of those. For whatever reason, big trout seem to go for this fly in Stillwater.

Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I like that grizzly shrimp. I could see how they resemble a crawfish at least on the strip. How do you fish them? Cast out, let them settle a little, strip in? I guess you could vary the pace and length of the strip. Sounds like a sinking fly line would be the way to go.

Those record fish don't even look like trout they are so big.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

What did you tie today?

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Exactly right. Cast it, let it settle to the bottom, then use strips about 1' and quick to look like a fleeing crawdaddy. I suspect the advent and widespread popularity of the wooly bugger partly stole the limelight of the Grizzly Shrimp. They are, after all, VERY similar in design, with the bugger being more wiggly thanks to the marabou. Not coincidentally, a bugger stripped along the bottom ALSO looks a LOT like a crawfish.
Edited to add:
It seems that Del's Giant Grizzly Shrimp is essentially the same as Jack Horner's (the inventor of the Humpy) Brown Shrimp fly that originated in 1938. Horner's fly was tied for estuarine salmon and steelhead on the California and Oregon coast. It's possible that Del Canty came up with his pattern independently, but it's equally likely that he modified Horner's Brown Shrimp to suit the freshwater trout he was hunting. Fascinating stuff (to me anyway)!
Here's Horner's shrimp variations:

Last edited by Cuervo Jones on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I really like those ties. I keep trying to see the silhouette but all I see is maybe the legs with the hackle and the tail is the squirrel. Enough to fool a fish for sure but I guess my mind always visualizes it with big eyes up front or claws for a crawdad.
I am visualizing with lead wire up front it should "float" to the bottom and when you strip it 1' it kicks it's "tail" and lunges forward and the head makes it drop head first to the bottom again. Am I right? That will surely catch some big ones like those in the antique photos you posted above. Very nice ties indeed!
cesarmedina

Post by cesarmedina »

Image first one ever. Not too bad

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk