Went to arrow a spike and came back with extra antler...

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Went to arrow a spike and came back with extra antler...

Post by Prof. Salt »

After 16 years with the same bow I decided to upgrade to a new one. At the shop I fell in love with the Mathews Halon and its combination of speed and quiet. I was fortunate enough to win second place at the Extreme kayak series event in Corpus during the Summer, and that money was now burning a hole in my pocket. I took my new Halon home and after sighting it in, waited for a chance to head to the woods to introduce it to a deer or two. I really did go out looking for a spike - Nobody else in the family wants them, they were the only bucks I had seen all year. Since I mostly hunt deer for the meat and spikes taste great, I was ready and willing. I got to my favorite ladder stand Friday after work (the college closes at 12:30 on Fridays :D ). I haven't hunted this spot all year because winds have been wrong, and after sitting for three hours and seeing nothing things got interesting. I had a doe come in, followed by two more, and then a fourth came running down a trail to the feeder with an 8 point hot on her tail. The buck was a two year old, and I would normally let him walk ...but tonight I wanted to bring home some vineson. With four deer inside of 20 yards, I sat patiently waiting for the buck to give me a broadside shot and the does to cooperate and be careless for just a second. While I was waiting, I noticed a good buck step out about a hundred yards away. Now here was a candidate for the ice chest I could feel good about! He was not coming to the feeder, but seemed interested in the does. He milled around and took forever to get close. Finally he skirted the brush staying outside the other deer and came to within 10 yards of my ladder. He was down wind of the gals and was sniffing the air, getting an idea if any of them might be in the mood for some love. It's too early still, so once he was satisfied that he wouldn't be getting any action tonight he decided to hang around for a minute and try the corn special. At 18 yards he finally gave me the break I was waiting for, and the other deer were now settled enough that they didn't notice that clump up in the tree had started moving. I drew and had to hold for at least thirty seconds waiting for a broadside shot. When it came I released the arrow and it hit just behind the shoulder, took out both lungs and SMACKED the far shoulder. To my amazement, the deer crumpled while letting out a loud growl/burp sound. Everyone else vacated the area, and after a couple of seconds my deer started trying to get up. I knew the hit was fatal, but with darkness coming fast (and being on a solo hunt) I did not want to chance losing this deer in the thick cover. I quickly nocked another arrow and looked up ...the buck was up on his knees now and staring back at me with that "Oh crap, I really messed up!" look in his eyes. The second arrow hit as he was quartering away and trying to stand up. It hit right where I aimed (seen in the top photo) and skewered his heart. He jumped up and struggled out of view, but I heard him crash just around the corner. I had never had a racked buck go less than 15 yards while bow hunting until now. The tracking job was easy, lol. Now maybe one of those spikes will show up again and learn the same lesson. :D

Check out the initial hit. I am really impressed with those Rage two blade heads. Blood was everywhere on the ground, and even without the second shot he would have been bled out pretty quick.

Squidward

Re: Went to arrow a spike and came back with extra antler...

Post by Squidward »

Great buck and nice patience.

I went out looking for some hogs this weekend and ended up cold and wet the whole time without ever getting a hog in my sight.
Took a mature doe home with me to start filling up my new deep freezer. It looks great right next to my king fish and cobia.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

...or course it does! :lol: I love hunting as much as kayaking - either way bringing home fish or deer doesn't make the time a success. Just being out there in the quiet and enjoying nature while it does its thing is a nice reward. Bringing home meat is a bonus.

Nice job on the doe, but the way.
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Nice lil buck! :clap: Spent all day sat. butchering and bagging a 10 pt.(low fence) in the mom in laws kitchen (she not happy !). Good hunting.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

on a mission wrote:Nice lil buck! :clap: Spent all day sat. butchering and bagging a 10 pt.(low fence) in the mom in laws kitchen (she not happy !). Good hunting.
I'll never catch a marlin from my kayak, and I'll probably never see a buck that most folks would consider "big". These days having a shot at a big deer seems to require a budget well beyond any I will ever have or to be born into circumstances I was not. Bow hunting whatever deer happen to come across our little property is the opportunity I've got, and I love having the chance to harvest a few of them for the table. It's all about having fun and bringing home some great tasting red meat for me. :D
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

Prof. Salt wrote:
on a mission wrote:Nice lil buck! :clap: Spent all day sat. butchering and bagging a 10 pt.(low fence) in the mom in laws kitchen (she not happy !). Good hunting.
I'll never catch a marlin from my kayak, and I'll probably never see a buck that most folks would consider "big". These days having a shot at a big deer seems to require a budget well beyond any I will ever have or to be born into circumstances I was not. Bow hunting whatever deer happen to come across our little property is the opportunity I've got, and I love having the chance to harvest a few of them for the table. It's all about having fun and bringing home some great tasting red meat for me. :D

You are right on. I too have always bow hunted for meat. We are not lucky enough to have the big Iowa type bucks here. Unless you pay big money for pen raised specimens, which I will never do. My great uncle who got me hooked 50 years ago would be mad and rolling in the grave if he could see what became of Texas hunting(high fence recliner hunting). Approx. where do you hunt? I will be near Santo this weekend to hopefully watch a dirt nap. Good hunting to you.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

My in-laws have 50 acres at Papalote, about an hour from my house which makes it pretty convenient.
LOOKN4REDS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LOOKN4REDS »

Nice chunk of venison right there. Looks like you and your new Mathew are well matched. Good shoot'n. :clap: