Skimmer 140 users?

toofaraway

Skimmer 140 users?

Post by toofaraway »

Time for a new kayak and I would like to lighten the load a little. These are about 50 lbs. Any users out there to relate pros and cons?
toofaraway

Re: Skimmer 140 users?

Post by toofaraway »

Really, no one with a skimmer 140? Maybe that says everything I need to know.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Ty Sutherland did a review on them about a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLxMV9fc3r8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Great boat for the pool!

JK, I think it is fairly new so not much review yet. But the prices is pretty high, kinda looks like Pelican kayaks.
Ninja
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sweeny. Quit Wishin...Go Fishin and take a Kid with you

Post by Ninja »

I know one of the guys that fishes the various kayak tournaments has one and loves it. May be he will weigh in.

I'm now a Hobie guy, buy my favorite kayak prior to the Hobies was the Hurricane Phoenix 140 the predecessor to the Skimmer 140 and if I ever went back to strictly paddling or wanted to add a paddling kayak to the fleet I would look at the Skimmer first. My suggestion is to demo one or better yet rent one for weekend and take to your favorite places. Most places will apply the rental to your purchase if you decide to buy.

Also the thermoform plastic in the Hurricanes is a lot different than the Pelican. The main gripe in the day when I had my Hurricane was the customer service, however I was fortunate and never had an issue with mine.
Duweezy

Post by Duweezy »

I have a 140 and absolutely love it. It's a real efficient paddling boat which equals fast! The weight on it is also a major plus. The boat is super quiet with no hull slap so you can sneak up on those tailing reds. If you are in the Corpus area give me a holler and I can let you try it out.

If I could gripe about something, any scratch on the boat sticks out like a sore thumb with the thermoformed material. It was a bit uncomfortable too at first but I took the lumbar pad from the Jackson line and slapped it on the skimmer. With that lower back support I can paddle all day if I wanted.
Attachments
IMG_4653.JPG