Access/Launch spots in/around Galveston Bay

oduinn

Access/Launch spots in/around Galveston Bay

Post by oduinn »

Have read the forums for info for awhile now (thanks all btw), but new poster...

I've only been going out with the kayak for about 6 months now, and am really enjoying it. I've been exploring mostly the south Galveston west bay areas (sportsman, sattegast, etc.), and am eager to find new spots. It's really enjoyable to get back into areas where there's no boats, traffic, etc.

I'm not asking for anyones secret spots, just areas I can access to learn some of my own. I have the Hook-N-Line maps, which I use a lot. My kayak is a simple 10' Pelican, but it's a starter my wife got me as a present, and I will be upgrading as soon as practical.

Couple of questions if I can ask:

East bay - is there a launch spot that's close enough to the marshes to paddle to? It appears everything is either a good distance or/and across the ICW.

North shore lines - both west bay and east bay?

Caney Creek - Whats the dangers in this area? I scouted it out the other day to see how far my truck (4X4) can get me before launching, but have never been in that water. I assume theres a pretty stiff current...

East Matagorda - I'm looking into making my first overnight trip to this area, maybe stay on the beach? Kids would enjoy this and I'm excited to get my kids involved as much as possible.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to getting to know you all!

TD
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Access/Launch spots in/around Galveston Bay

Post by Yaklash »

South shoreline of East Bay is only accessible by crossing the ICW - Stingaree Marina is the most commonly used launch. The north shoreline of East Bay is mostly private, but the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge has several areas one can launch from. The one furthest west, where there is a boat ramp and a major irrigation canal drains out is the most popular amongst kayakers and also boaters because of the ramp. That launch is also closest to the natural bayou drain that feeds back to Robinson Lake. The road that goes down to the east portion of the refuge has several places you can launch, from right when the road hits the water all the way out to Frozen Point.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

For West, which technically starts at the TCD, north shoreline access is available on the eastern half include launches mostly around the Causeway. The western half has little to no public access.

South shoreline of west, there are a few places other than what you listed. Check out ACK's website for a map.
YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Get on Google Maps -
There is a lot of detail in those images. Find a marsh that looks interesting then scan around for a potential launch site. Or alternatively - find a launch site and evaluate what is around it. If you see a housing development there is often a boat ramp associated with it. These may or may not be available to the public.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by JimD »

I posted this up on winter fishing but worth looking at other times of the year

There are a bunch of places in west bay area.

Mike McBride told me about Eckhards bayou way back.

Protected from winds and deep water where the houses and canals are. Place to launch a small john boat or kayak right there ck google earth. In summer and some water and you can get into the back of Starvation cove or you can go the boat channel and get into the next cove down.

Confederate reef is a give if the wind is not too bad.

Offatts is a great place with the launch off 101 street down right next to the airport on the south side? there are multiple reefs all over with shallow and deep water and long reef in the middle with deep water surrounding it.

On the way in you cross the bridge that drains the golf course lake/ bayou. This is great fishing on an out going much of the year. BE DARN careful as you can wade some of the area but it drops straight off too. Fish tend to hang right on the east drop off so do not anchor or stand there among the fish. :) Buddy used to fish this around all the old Christmas freezes and tear up limits of fish. The basin on the other side of the bridge is 12-15 ft deep too.
Another place is on 61st at the back of Offatts in the old days fishing an out going under the bridge has put some big fish in the boat.
Launching and kayaking the ski lake is good too to the left going toward the beach on 61st.. Not been in there in years but the lake is about 10 ft deep except for the edges with the east and west being the most shallow.

I was told that mullet free lined under either bridge esp the golf course bridge can put big fish on the line. Lots of cr-- in the water by the bridge. NOT fished this but told it was good on the 61 bridge.

Looking at google earth at Offatts and where just west of long reef is shallow water from shore till it runs out to what look like a butt crack and mud in one side and sand on the other drops 3 ft to 9-10 ft is another place for winter big trout. WATCH THESE AREAS and look at them close if your are wading out from the shore.

It is easy to just park next to the water and wade the shallow and throw out into deep water.

If you go straight or right off this road before the golf course bridge you go to the other side of Offatts and you can park and launch there.

Things change and I have not fished many of these areas in years- access may have changed and the last storm might have changed the shore line and reefs but if you look at these areas there is a lot of water to try and I did not list all the areas that there are to fish.

Some people take the first right off the causeway and go launch under the bridge and fish the bridge lights at night. Again know what you are doing and looks at all these areas in the daylight first.

The golf course bridge and the beach by the airport are both wade in areas too but know the areas and the drop offs before you go.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by JimD »

Here is the old px I was sent 10-12 years ago on the above.

If you look at the article you can see the bridge the airport access and where the buddy used to catch fish.

If you went straight you can see 8 mile road in the difference. In the old days lots of people gigged from this access back to 8 mile and it also gives you another access into the bit bayou next to 8 mile but that access is a lot closed from 8 mile but there is a lot more oyster from the bayou to 8 mile road. There is kayak access into this bayou and it is deep till where the old dam washed out and not wadeable and the back lake is mainly 2 ft in the back but deep around where the dam/old road washed out.

I have not kayaked or really fished this area in years so be careful and ck as things change over time and storms. Also look at this in detail on Google earth.
Attachments
Offatts_PinPoint-1.JPG
Coachsmills
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Coachsmills »

Lots of launch points here by clicking the "Upper Texas Coast" link. Be sure to double check to make sure they are still accessible to the public. I put this together several years ago and haven't had a chance to update it lately.

https://tailtailsigns.com/launch-points/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Coachsmills wrote:Lots of launch points here by clicking the "Upper Texas Coast" link. Be sure to double check to make sure they are still accessible to the public. I put this together several years ago and haven't had a chance to update it lately.

https://tailtailsigns.com/launch-points/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Double clicking didn't really do what I'd hoped it would. I have checked, and as far as I could tell on a drive-by to the Bay Harbor boat ramp, it is not open to the public. Damn shame too.