Paddle vs Mirage Drive

dmanars

Re: Paddle vs Mirage Drive

Post by dmanars »

I have a xfactor, Outback and a PA14. I love them all. They all catch fish, but if I had to pick one, Id pick mirage drive over paddling. There are just too many advantages. To answer your question though, I can peddle further, then I can ever paddle. Im a wee guy though. 5'6" 145lbs. Its all in what feels comfortable to you. But then again I think someone already stated this... :horse:
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

Mirage Drive vs Paddle
- I cover more water distance, with little regard to wind or water current.
- While covering those distances, I can actively fish (eg. cast) the entire time. This equates to more time with a line in the water.
- It is much easier to chase birds. When I see bird activity off in the distance, I often go that way to check it out without a second thought. In my paddling days, I would sometimes opt not to chase as it added time and distance and effort.
- If the wind starts to kick up later in the day while I'm far away from the launch, I have no worries or dread about a grueling paddle back
- I don't mind drifting with the wind. In my paddling days, I always remained cognizant of how far the wind had carried me as I knew I had to paddle back into the wind when I was finished. With a Mirage Drive, I don't worry about the wind anymore.
- I fish marshes and I often incur water that is too skinny for the mirage drive. I flutter kick in skinny water and I use the paddle when needed.

Other Considerations
- Get a depth finder with GPS. With a Mirage Drive you will cover greater distances than before. I leave my depth finder on while traveling to trace my path and I explore bottom contour, looking for guts and depth changes. Within a couple of hours of fishing, it is easy to look up and realize that you no longer remember which way is which, especially if you cross a bay and then go deep into a marsh. The GPS mapping will lead you directly to where you want to go, it will track how you got there, and you can go directly back to your launch spot by retracing your steps or via a new shorter route that you see on the GPS. Having GPS onboard is a good thing, especially if you are 5-6 miles away from the launch and exploring new unfamiliar territory.
- Wash the Mirage Drive every time after saltwater use and hit the moving parts with WD40. Whether it be a saltwater or freshwater, I wash everything down at a car wash after every outing
- IMO, the turbo fins add about 15%-20% more boost and are worth it. Adding the larger rudder increases the responsiveness when turning.
- 14' or 16'? Stability vs Speed? I have both a 14' Revo and 16' Adventure. The 16' Adventure is my primary choice as I like the extra speed and smooth glide that comes with a longer hull. Imagine the feel and effort of riding a 10 speed road bike vs a mountain bike. The Revo is stable and comfortable but the Adventure flies.
- I took the straps off the pedals as they're a hassle and don't improve my pedaling efforts
- Sooner or later, you will punch a hole in a mirage drive fin with the fin's mast. This comes from aggressive pedalling over bottom structure. Don't sweat it as it can be fixed with off the shelf products (Tear Aide, Gorilla Tape, etc)
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Bottom line: You will be able to catch more fish with a Hobie Mirage Drive. Why? You can put your hook in the water more. It's more efficient.

1. Ever fished under the birds? I've done it with both a pedal and a paddle. As soon as you cast you are already at the whims of the wind and current. These golden opportunities come and go fast.

2. Are you able to paddle and: Untangle your braided line out of your treble hook?? Untangle your Bird's nest in your spool? Grab a bottle of water and take a drink? Eat a snack? Rub your (sore shoulders from paddling 10 miles)? And, most importantly put your hook in the water? etc.....

Surely, there is alternative to many of the situations I typed above, but I haven't seen anyone effectively cast and paddle at the same time.
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

I have a hobie revo 13 and a WS tarpon 140.
I like them both, but only use the tarpon when there is a limitation against the hobie.

If the water is going to be very shallow and have obstacles - river trip with rapids or marsh fishing with oyster beds - I'll go to the tarpon.

For everything else - hobie. that covers most rivers, lakes, BTB, most marsh (if i'm not planning to constantly drag oyster beds I can flutter the drive or switch between peddles and paddle), and all the rest.

River fishing is my favorite. Being able to face upstream, hold position, and thoroughly fan cast an area is amazing.
So the tarpon is primarily a loaner and a backup.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Datchew wrote:River fishing is my favorite. Being able to face upstream, hold position, and thoroughly fan cast an area is amazing.
Speaking of river fishing, when are we doing Canyon Lake again? That was a blast!!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Since cost IS a factor for many, I'll have to throw, into the fray, the low cost of adding a simple $100.00 side-mounted 30 lb. trolling motor onto almost any paddle kayak.

With a few bits of PVC; a battery (big or small/heavy or light-depending on your needs) no one needs to be limited to just paddle or pedal.

Yes, you have to add TX numbers and yes, you have to get it registered, all of which is no big deal... If it gets you where you want to go, who cares how you got there?

We are long past the "purist" notion of kayaking since peddling became so popular.

Explore ALL of the options, and pick whatever works for you.

In my case, I am 76 years of age. I love to paddle but, realistically, a windy day might make me stay home. The same wind with a trolling motor is not such a big deal.

Shallow waters are not much of an issue since you can swing a side-mounted TM out of the way in seconds.
regards, richg99
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

The End
GULF COAST KAYAKER

Post by GULF COAST KAYAKER »

larry long shadows wrote:THE END
larry long shadows wrote:The End
Why do you keep putting "THE END", "The End"?
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Its a way of saying "Shut this thread down, enough has been said."

Looks like the butt-hurt mafia came out in full force. How do yall's husbands deal with your over-sensitivity? :lol: Lets just stroke each other's egos and sing koom-by-ya. God forbid someone tells it the way it is.
It is a big decision for me since I can't afford a boat right now.
By the way the "I would rather be power boating but can't so this will have to do" is just about the weakest reason for kayak ownership.
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

Yakety_Yak wrote:
Datchew wrote:River fishing is my favorite. Being able to face upstream, hold position, and thoroughly fan cast an area is amazing.
Speaking of river fishing, when are we doing Canyon Lake again? That was a blast!!
Definitely! Let me know
GULF COAST KAYAKER

Milkjug wrote:Its a way of saying "Shut this thread down, enough has been said."
So he chose himself to be the forum police?
Milkjug wrote:Looks like the butt-hurt mafia came out in full force. How do yall's husbands deal with your over-sensitivity? :lol: Lets just stroke each other's egos and sing koom-by-ya. God forbid someone tells it the way it is.
The problem is you don't see the world how it is. You see the world through the eyes of a fool.
It is a big decision for me since I can't afford a boat right now.

Milkjug wrote:By the way the "I would rather be power boating but can't so this will have to do" is just about the weakest reason for kayak ownership.
No one asked your opinion and no one wants your opinion.
JoeyGrimland

Post by JoeyGrimland »

Yakety_Yak wrote:I've been following this thread thinking should I say my 10 cents on the matter or not. Even though I have a few Hobie kayaks doesn't mean I will give a biased answer. Fortunately, my sponsorship is with ACK and they cover a wide range of kayaks. I think there are a lot of great kayak companies out there. When I am at the boat show representing for ACK, I have the advantage of if the customer doesn't want one type of kayak, we can put them into another due to the wide range of kayaks ACK sells.

In regards to the question at hand.... hands down, unless you have a lower body injury or weak leg strength, a peddle kayak will cover more distances than a paddle kayak. This goes without say. This is why many of the kayak companies now are looking to build their kayak line(s) to include a spot for the mirage drive (The patent on the mirage drive has expired so kayak companies are aware of this and are trying to build their kayaks to do just that. As of now, the Santa Cruz G2 has already done this.). These companies couldn't invent something that was faster so instead, they are trying to match instead of reinventing the wheel. This, from a business stand point, makes total sense to me.

Back to the topic at hand..... it's no secret that lower body strength is stronger than upper body strength. As long as you don't try and run the 100 yard dash with the mirage drive and go for broke, you can last all day. I've covered ground in the bays averaging 15 miles. I don't think I've gone anything less than 10 miles in a day. I am trolling most of the time and when I see something that is worth sight casting at, I get to it. I think the most I have peddled is from Bryan Beach in Freeport on out to the 8-mile reef. After trekking out that far, fighting currents plus winds to and from, the round trip is probably around 18 - 20 miles. I've also done this in a paddle yak as well. In the paddle yak, it took me several hours leaving me less time to fish than if I would of done it in a peddle yak. That is the first noticeable issue I would take into consideration (amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B). The second issue I noticed is that at the end of the day after paddling, I am extremely tired. Every time I take a paddle yak on and off the water, I always end up having to take a power nap on the way home due to being so exhausted. In a peddle yak, I rarely have to do this.

Another thing I would like to address is it was mentioned earlier about using a mirage drive in the marsh becomes more or less useless. This depends on the marsh you are fishing in. Certain marshes can be very shallow and others not as much. If you know that the marsh is going to be shallow and the mirage drive is not going to benefit you as much, simply don't take the drive with you that trip and make your peddle yak into a all-out paddle yak. This is what makes the Hobie line so great is that you have that option. It's makes total sense to me to do just that. This way you don't have to worry about folding the fins or taking them out and laying them in the cockpit. Hobie kayaks can be used for the marsh. I've used my Hobie in many marsh systems and I have not been disappointed. I'm sure there will come a day where my fat butt makes it where I will bottom out. That's not because of the Hobie kayak, it's because of my fat butt, lol! I am not the skinniest person around. If there was a lighter person riding my kayak, I'm sure it would not bottom out. Also, I don't exactly pack lite either. These are contingencies that need to be taken into consideration.

The bottom line, the peddle kayaks may go farther than the paddle kayaks but depending on the individual that is behind the paddle yak will depend on how much or how less farther they go. Some people have a lot of endurance and upper body strength. This makes a difference. No matter what, in the end you are less tired in a peddle kayak and have certain advantages that have been explained in previous threads (such as hands free to site cast, tie on lures while moving, etc..). Well, that is all for now. I hope that you guys take this info constructively as that is my intent. By no means am I knocking other brands as there are some good kayaks out there.
This is excellent information! Thank you. I am on the brink of getting my first kayak and am weighing all the options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoeyGrimland

Post by JoeyGrimland »

habanerojooz wrote:Mirage Drive vs Paddle
- I cover more water distance, with little regard to wind or water current.
- While covering those distances, I can actively fish (eg. cast) the entire time. This equates to more time with a line in the water.
- It is much easier to chase birds. When I see bird activity off in the distance, I often go that way to check it out without a second thought. In my paddling days, I would sometimes opt not to chase as it added time and distance and effort.
- If the wind starts to kick up later in the day while I'm far away from the launch, I have no worries or dread about a grueling paddle back
- I don't mind drifting with the wind. In my paddling days, I always remained cognizant of how far the wind had carried me as I knew I had to paddle back into the wind when I was finished. With a Mirage Drive, I don't worry about the wind anymore.
- I fish marshes and I often incur water that is too skinny for the mirage drive. I flutter kick in skinny water and I use the paddle when needed.

Other Considerations
- Get a depth finder with GPS. With a Mirage Drive you will cover greater distances than before. I leave my depth finder on while traveling to trace my path and I explore bottom contour, looking for guts and depth changes. Within a couple of hours of fishing, it is easy to look up and realize that you no longer remember which way is which, especially if you cross a bay and then go deep into a marsh. The GPS mapping will lead you directly to where you want to go, it will track how you got there, and you can go directly back to your launch spot by retracing your steps or via a new shorter route that you see on the GPS. Having GPS onboard is a good thing, especially if you are 5-6 miles away from the launch and exploring new unfamiliar territory.
- Wash the Mirage Drive every time after saltwater use and hit the moving parts with WD40. Whether it be a saltwater or freshwater, I wash everything down at a car wash after every outing
- IMO, the turbo fins add about 15%-20% more boost and are worth it. Adding the larger rudder increases the responsiveness when turning.
- 14' or 16'? Stability vs Speed? I have both a 14' Revo and 16' Adventure. The 16' Adventure is my primary choice as I like the extra speed and smooth glide that comes with a longer hull. Imagine the feel and effort of riding a 10 speed road bike vs a mountain bike. The Revo is stable and comfortable but the Adventure flies.
- I took the straps off the pedals as they're a hassle and don't improve my pedaling efforts
- Sooner or later, you will punch a hole in a mirage drive fin with the fin's mast. This comes from aggressive pedalling over bottom structure. Don't sweat it as it can be fixed with off the shelf products (Tear Aide, Gorilla Tape, etc)
Thank you for the post. It's very informative and helpful as I will be getting my first kayak and am weighing all options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EdK

Post by EdK »

Being on the water is all that matters to me. I think it comes down to where you fish and budget. I have fished out of a couple Hobies and I like them. In deeper water and bass fishing especially. Deeper Salt to me is 18" at high tide for what it is worth. You will find me side saddle crab walking structure or grass-lines more often than not. Or Wading, yak in tow with a weight dragging off the stern. Or chasing down wakes.. After trying many different yaks I am most comfortable in a Tarpon 160, it allows me to run 20 miles a day, has a low wind signature and great glide. So a paddle craft is best for me most of the time. But that's how I roll. I realized running oysters and shallow grass lines, at low tide, is potentially an expensive proposition out of a Hobie. So I went paddle. And if you like Lighthouse lakes, Port Bay, Mission, x-spot and B&R, Seadrift and Laguna; Hobie maybe not the best choice. I do not think they would move in many places I fish right now, Grass is just too thick.

I always say get whats suited to the area you fish to maximize fun and days on the water, Hobie fits, why not? And Man- The new drive with reverse is sweet... might force me into the Hobie cult yet.
Last edited by EdK on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

I just wanted to say beer in one hand rod in the other using trophy trout for shark bait while not wearing my PFD................................

Not trying to bring any attention to this thread or anything :horse:
EdK

Post by EdK »

Shane does not always have a beer in hand, but when he does- :lol: he is usually on TKF -
SuperShane

Post by SuperShane »

Shane doesn't always get on TKF but when he does he is usually at work

( Also Looking at tides and weather for my next 4 days off and picking the best day to hit the water)
GULF COAST KAYAKER

SuperShane wrote:I just wanted to say beer in one hand rod in the other using trophy trout for shark bait while not wearing my PFD................................

Not trying to bring any attention to this thread or anything :horse:
I lost my PB trophy trout to a shark 3-4 weeks ago. :( Now I use an insulated cooler bag with frozen water bottles.