Powderhorn area question

Southtx

Powderhorn area question

Post by Southtx »

Hello all, haven't been on in a while, been very busy with work. Getting away middle next week to take the yak out and try to catch a few. Thinking about trying powderhorn, and haven't fished the area, but have studied it on the map several times. Wondering if I could get a report (no specific spots needed) just want to know if it's not worth wasting the short time I have to go. Also wondering if it's worth chasing trout down the beach south of the inlet. Always been a red and trout guy and have never specifically targeted flounder, but thinking I might like to try since I've heard the area is good for flounder. Any help or report at all is much appreciated! Thanks in advance
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Powderhorn area question

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've fished Powderhorn several times with PACK. It's a pretty diverse little 'lake' and I've never taken the time to really get to know it. However, I can pass on to you the best and most consistent luck I've had.

Using a 1/8 jig with a Gulp shrimp about 24 inches below a popping cork, I slow drift (using a sea anchor) between the inlet and the trailer park. I start out about 25 yards from the shoreline (paddle around the piers) at dawn and move farther out as the heat progresses. Wind direction will determine how often to change your drift posture. I like that area because regardless of the boat traffic, I've never seen anyone else fish there.

Good luck, and, be safe out there.
Big Kahuna
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Sight casting flounder potlicking Mt Stringer and Osochuck

Post by Big Kahuna »

From a friend who fished there yesterday their was tons of bait and the fish were a skiddish. But with the full moon to my records this is normal. It should pick up by the end of the week. I would imagine reds and flounder on the shorelines stuffing themselves on the bait.

Mahalo
EdK

Post by EdK »

I like putting by the bridge. Paddle out and run either L or R shoreline. Paddle till you hear or see them crashing. Should be tailers early and flounder in the guts and cuts. Gulps on a 16th or weedless screw lock. Topwaters work well to. That entry provides shelter from the wind. Couple VERY large Gators for entertainment.
Southtx

Post by Southtx »

Anyone ever try up by Indian Point?