TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


User avatar
By TexanBrewer
#2184187
Water looks good. Not brilliantly clear as I've seen it in some of the lower parts of the Colorado but not bad, either.

Y'all are going to have a fantastic trip; I know we did.

Weather was so nice I decided against a tent. The Cuda's flashlight makes a nice area lamp.

goodmorning.JPG
Under the stars...
User avatar
By Cruisin_Cuda
#2184190
it didn't look good at first, but the stars just might align! i've got a deal working on a new to me coosa hd that i should pick up on thursday! if not i may just go rent a boat for the weekend. my wife and i should be there and we'll meet at the walgreens saturday morning! what time should we be there?
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2184246
The trip is to be this Friday - Sunday, April 15 - 17. Not sure when the Friday bunch is setting off hopefully Steve will chime in. Saturday group should meet up around 7 to 7:30 at the Walgreens at Tahitian Dr in Bastrop. We will be self shuttling cars to Smithville and I hope to launch around 8:30 To 9.

Weather might be a factor and I will try to keep posting if plans change.
By steven7
#2184262
Sorry I haven't chimed in until now. The cool Friday group will head out that morning after vehicles have been situated. Not sure what time yet, (because we're so cool and Chris is always late) but knowing how it usually goes, we will be launching around 9 am. Keep in mind that the weather forecast has turned sour in the last few days. Strong probability of T-storms on Sat and Sun. I have learned over the years to not trust weathermen, so a decision won't be made until Thurs at the soonest and possibly not until I wake up that morning and look at the radar and forecast. We are all excited and have had this trip planned for several months and I don't mind a little bit of rain, but I also have the safety of others and myself in mind. We'll plan to go, but know that it may be cancelled if things start making a turn for the worse. in the weather as the week progresses.
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2184362
Well some of the core group have expressed misgivings about this weekends forecast. I still want to go this weekend but if this weeks rain events cause the river to flood or for the conditions to be bad this float will be postponed till April 29 to May 1. Steve or I will post when a decision is made. I hope that y'all can make it since I'd like to meet everyone.
User avatar
By fishr3
#2184399
Just a heads up warning. The BP MS 150 bike ride will be this weekend, April 16-17. Sunday (Day 2) Bike traffic will be heavy on HWY 71 in the Smithville area before noon with lunch stop at Bastrop. See attached map for more details. Looking forward to a great post trip report with some kayaking, camping and fish pics.
Attachments
(630.67 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
#2184418
fishr3 wrote:Just a heads up warning. The BP MS 150 bike ride will be this weekend, April 16-17. Sunday (Day 2) Bike traffic will be heavy on HWY 71 in the Smithville area before noon with lunch stop at Bastrop. See attached map for more details. Looking forward to a great post trip report with some kayaking, camping and fish pics.

and that means traffic coming back to H town will be bad Sunday ...i still want to go but it keeps getting if-ie
User avatar
By Cruisin_Cuda
#2184590
the traffic i can deal with, muddy waters mixed with a choked river full of veggies will kill the trip! i go for the fishing and camping is a bonus! hopefully someone local can give an update on the water conditions on friday!
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2184691
Well as much as I hate to I am going to postpone this trip for a couple of weeks. Looks like most of the Colorado watershed got an inch plus so the river is going to rise and be muddy for a little while. Also it looks like there is a good chance of more rain over the weekend.

Right now we are planning to try again April 29 - May 1. I would still like people to come but understand if you can't.
#2184727
sleepyTX wrote:Well as much as I hate to I am going to postpone this trip for a couple of weeks. Looks like most of the Colorado watershed got an inch plus so the river is going to rise and be muddy for a little while. Also it looks like there is a good chance of more rain over the weekend.

Right now we are planning to try again April 29 - May 1. I would still like people to come but understand if you can't.

Well I think its a good call ..not sure if i can commit for 29 yet but will try and made it ..
User avatar
By Cruisin_Cuda
#2184862
That stinks, I just picked up my new ride today and got all the camping gear ready. At least it's all good to go for next time though. I've seen the river muddy and choked so it's probably a good thing not to waste the trip. Hopefully we can make the next one.
User avatar
By TexanBrewer
#2185572
Just heard word from the livery in Columbus that the Colorado is as high as its been since 1938.

It'll probably be back to normal by the weekend after next but y'all need to be aware of strainers and other junk in the water when you take your trip.
User avatar
By sleepyTX
#2186232
Everyone
I think it would be best to cancel next weekends trip. The river is still pretty high and while it is dropping, LCRA released a statement that they would be increasing releases to keep the reservoirs from getting to full. I expect the water to stay pretty murky for a while and that usually messes up the fishing.

Sorry everyone this looked like it was going to be a good trip but I should have scheduled it a week or so earlier.

Stay tuned I will be organizing a fall trip

Latter
Ed

My thoughts on this issue. 1. I want to be there[…]

We are starting to plan a trip to the Rockport are[…]

Dashboard bar on Kestrel

I would do something similar as well offshore, bu[…]

Onno Paddle - $150

I apologize for my slow response. The paddle is s[…]