Keith Lake 6/26

YakMack

Keith Lake 6/26

Post by YakMack »

4 Reds, 1 Spec and some slimy Cats. Gulp and poppin' cork and Gulp slow-reel dragged upon the bottom. Great day.
Attachments
IMG_2037.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
YakMack

Re: Keith Lake 6/26

Post by YakMack »

Tried out the southern shore this time. Lots of marshes compared to the northern shore. Caught this guy in the marsh on a popping cork.
Attachments
IMG_2029.JPG
txvike

Post by txvike »

Nice fish, nice report, nice pics. Thanks very much.
not2shabby

Post by not2shabby »

That 30" red is a hog! Well done!
Legion17

Post by Legion17 »

YakMack , I am new to kayak fishing and i went this Saturday to Keith lake. it was my first time ever and maybe that is why i had alot of moments of panic. I was wondering if it was safe to kayak fish there for a beginner because i was trying to paddle near the shore on the narrow part that goes out to the lake since it was my first time but quickly paddled to the middle when i saw an alligator on the bank. it wasnt to big maybe 4 feet but never the less makes you wonder if you flip over if you will have issues with getting bitten. the other incident that happen later that same day was that i was finally making a few cast since at first i was trying to get a feel for the kayak in the current but soon discovered 3 fins swimming to me and they turned out to be dolphins which i made out to the blow hole and shooting water. I know dolphins are not dangerous to humans but just the fact that they are able to kill sharks made me panic and paddle as fast as i could to shore begin worried that they might get even closer to what they already were and push my kayak over. I have fished that area from the bank and never seen dolphins there so go figure as soon as i get on a kayak they show up . I apologize for making this really long but wanted to know more about kayak fishing as i did enjoy it but seemed to panic more than actually cast . Thanks for any advice and recommendations.
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Legion17,

I've never seen dolphins at Keith Lake, but I have seen alligators. I've experienced dolphins close to my kayak a few miles south at Sabine Pass. They come right up to you and blow through that hole of theirs - quite scary if not expecting it. My experience with alligators have been that they are curious but if you paddle towards them, they will go the opposite way unless the feel threatened (backed in a corner) or you are invading their nesting grounds. That isn't to say the wouldn't attack, but it's pretty unlikely. I've been in waters with 5 or 6 within 50-100 yards of me and no issues.

If you are new to kayaking, paddle around a bit and practice in a calm and shallow area and always wear your PFD, even when experienced. I imagine hitting my head or passing out and it's hard to put on a PFD when you are knocked out.

Also, it sounds like you put in at that cut where the tide moves the water pretty good. Try near the SE end just off the road past the ramp. There is less tidal movement there and the marshes are down there too. It's pretty safe and shallow, too.

Good luck.
Legion17

Post by Legion17 »

I never seen dolphins either until first time in kayak . I looked on the map to see where you were talking about and i see i passed that place up but didn't know if it was private property or what not due to the house/buildings there and it does seem like a better launch point. I was on the right just after passing the road where the ramp is located for the boats. Also would it be wise to go on keith lake from the boat ramp for future reference or should i stick to where the houses are located to launch. Thanks alot and sorry for all questions just was really unexpected first time trip and hope second times goes better.
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

If you use the ramp, you pay the fee. If you park away from the houses about 100 yards, you just put in your yak. No fee and there are no signs posted for private property. Actually, I think it's public land because I saw a sign saying don't mow the grass since it's wetlands grass. Maybe not. Regardless, no private property signs, and it's a good launch from the shore.

To me, dolphins, alligators, birds, etc...is what makes it pretty bad@zz. Do I like them scaring the crap outta me? No, but they don't so much anymore. It's pretty awesome watching dolphins fly out of the water 50 yards from you as if they were putting on a show at seaworld (or Sea -A- Rama for you older folks) doing belly flops - and I've seen this out at the Jetties at Sabine Pass. I've also seen them slap the water with their tail fin to stun the fish. Quite a site. Still waiting to see the gator eat something though.

Once you get better at kayaking, Sabine Pass Jetties can be quite a great time. Until then, go it slow and hit up the marshes at Keith Lake or find some Specs in the deeper part of Keith. Way back in the marsh, there may be some gators, so stay close to the open water for now until you become more comfortable.
Legion17

Post by Legion17 »

Thanks man it really makes me feel better. I just guess i panic because wasnt expecting it and didnt want one to come push my kayak and flip me over. I sure will try launching from the other place and thanks for advice.
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Sure thing. The dolphins buzzing by me still startles me, especially when it's still dark outside. Good luck.
Legion17

Post by Legion17 »

well we went inside the marshes and saw alot of reds just popping up but none would bite the plastic baits we had. we had top lures and also gulp mullet and shrimp. have no idea what we were doing wrong. maybe we retrieve it to fast are we suppose to leave the plastic baits there for a bit and just jiggle it? also the top lure they look good and still no luck . we always fished with mullet and shrimp so guess we are new to this artificial any advice on how long it should take us to retrieve and how often we should cast?
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

Legion17,

We had the same experience. Saw lots of water movement from reds and bait movement. Tried the popping cork and managed a Spec. As I went through my checklist of lures (spoons, popping cork, variety of plastics, crankbait, etc...), we got them to hit on the Penny colored Gulp shrimp. It was an extremely slow reel with some very slight twitches. I had to be very patient. Did that over and over again and when I set my rod down to grab a sandwich, my line started moving and the fish was on!

So, key is to set your rod down and grab a sandwich!!!

Good luck.
JUNNEL20

Post by JUNNEL20 »

We went Saturday (July 16) on the south side of Keith Lake and fished about a mile along the edge of the marsh. The water was like glass with barely any wind. Specks popping everywhere but couldn't get them to bite anything we had. We got one hit on a popping cork with penny gulp shrimp, but couldn't hook it. Fished from 7am to 11am with nothing to take home. It was hot as hell!

We went again on Sunday (July 17), this time on the north side. Launched off the new boat ramp at 4pm. The wind was about 5-10mph, water was a bit choppy. Fished off the oyster reef just across the cut. Managed to hook a dink speck with red with white tail DownSouthLure. That's all we caught from 4pm to 7:45pm. Other boats around us, but it didn't look like they were catching anything either. It was high tide the both times we went. Hope next time won't be as bad.
YakMack

Post by YakMack »

On the south side, we found the reds deep in the marsh in the back lakes.

On the north side, we found the reds along the grass line.

Guess that wind, sun, moon, stars and planetary alignment can make a difference!