Courtesy question

jackinayak

Courtesy question

Post by jackinayak »

Launched right at daylight this morning at the Chicken Crossing. There were no trucks at the launch other than mine, and I did not see another soul all morning. Returning in early afternoon, as I approached the "Y", I could see a few yakkers fishing between me and the bridge. The first fisherman I would come to on the way to the ramp was anchored on the right side about two boat lengths from bank and was apparently fishing the channel. With the wind favoring him, he was within easy casting distance of the left hand bank. Hmmmm... what would you consider the most courteous way to proceed? What I did..thinking the least disruptive to his fishing would be to pass in the narrow slot between his boat and the bank and in a polite manner, I spoke to him and let him know my intentions. Well, he was NOT anchored, he was tied to the bank and he lifted his rope up out of the water to show me. He sternly said "Why don't you go around!" as he pointed to the far bank. I turned immediately and passed as far away from him as possible. He seemed upset, and I apologized but it kind of put a sour taste in my mouth. I was just trying to be the least disruptive as possible. If I am fishing an area, I personally would rather someones pass quietly and as close to me as possible rather than spooking the fish over the target area.
Rotorman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Courtesy question

Post by Rotorman »

No one owns the channel. Least you were kind enough to ask. Kayaks won scare the fish. Where should you have gone. He was fishing the whole channel there's no good place to pass.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Pretty ridiculous thing to get bent over. I guess try to pass as close to the left bank as possible? Who knows, anymore... how the hell do you tie off to the bank and stay two boat lengths out? Remember that time I passed you at Texas Point all out of control, you were right by the bank and I was on my first trip out and almost ran into you? You handled that well, I was all embarrassed. :mrgreen:
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

I usually fish so far back in the marshes that on the rare occasion that I run across another yakker, I either know them already or wish I did, as we are kindred spirits. I remember our paths crossing a couple of times but did not feel that either of us was intruding. Now on tournament days, if anyone is fishing TP, then I will even head a completely different direction just to keep from costing anybody some cash or a new widget. (or.... at least give them a really good head start :) ) Last Saturday was the first time in quite a while that I launched at the Texas Bayou bridge and I was perhaps a little overwhelmed at suddenly rounding the bend and seeing so many people.
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

You did the right thing. He was the one in the wrong by getting angry.

Me personally, i dont care which way you go by. From what ive seen, kayaks dont spook fish unless they are up on the flats and extremely shallow.
Duby
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Duby »

FishingSETX wrote:You did the right thing. He was the one in the wrong by getting angry.

Me personally, i dont care which way you go by. From what ive seen, kayaks dont spook fish unless they are up on the flats and extremely shallow.
X2

If he pissed with a kayaker boy he is going to have a screaming case of the a-- with a pb. :lol: :lol:
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

Great picture!I'll pass this positive identification on to my treasure finding friend.
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

jackinayak wrote:Launched right at daylight this morning at the Chicken Crossing. There were no trucks at the launch other than mine, and I did not see another soul all morning. Returning in early afternoon, as I approached the "Y", I could see a few yakkers fishing between me and the bridge. The first fisherman I would come to on the way to the ramp was anchored on the right side about two boat lengths from bank and was apparently fishing the channel. With the wind favoring him, he was within easy casting distance of the left hand bank. Hmmmm... what would you consider the most courteous way to proceed? What I did..thinking the least disruptive to his fishing would be to pass in the narrow slot between his boat and the bank and in a polite manner, I spoke to him and let him know my intentions. Well, he was NOT anchored, he was tied to the bank and he lifted his rope up out of the water to show me. He sternly said "Why don't you go around!" as he pointed to the far bank. I turned immediately and passed as far away from him as possible. He seemed upset, and I apologized but it kind of put a sour taste in my mouth. I was just trying to be the least disruptive as possible. If I am fishing an area, I personally would rather someones pass quietly and as close to me as possible rather than spooking the fish over the target area.
Here ya go:
Right of Way Rules
Whenever you meet another boat, it’s like approaching an unmarked intersection in your car. Knowing a few, simple right of way rules will help you avoid a collision. Just as motorists must know what to do when approaching a four way stop, every crossing situation at sea is like approaching an unmarked intersection.

Because there are so many different types of boats and styles of boating, it is important to know what to expect when you come upon another vessel.

"Vessels" are anything that floats on the water that
is used, or is capable of being used as a means of transportation on water. A log, a bathtub and many other things could be considered a vessel under the Navigation Rules. The Navigation Rules distinguish one vessel from another by both its design, and by its actions. This section covers maneuvering rules only.
The rules of the road
http://www.boatus.org/guide/navigation_1.html
Wag

Post by Wag »

Thanks for your honest attempt to do right by another fisherman. This is what we hope for.