May Competition and Photos

skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

May Competition and Photos

Post by skypilot »

Due to lack of participation . . . . I recommend that we turn the competition into a photo brag board

Just post your best pics of the month for all of us to admire

If someone wants to return to a competition . . . . go for it . . . but you need to run it for the rest of the year regardless of the monthly winner

If someone has another opinion . . . . I am totally open to it . . . not trying to take over

Everybody chime in

See you on the water

Let's go fishing

Enjoy this pic from the Nueces at the Bud Priddy last weekend - lots of pretty water out West
Attachments
DSCF3698.jpg
Zackthefisherman

Re: May Competition and Photos

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I agree the competition lost a lot of interest. I posted this on the thread started by Texjbq but I'll post it here as well.

Tuesday evening while bass fishing on Lake Dunlap I got into a school of good sized crappie on my 5wt. I ended up bringing 7 home ranging from 12.5 to 14.5 inches. I also managed a few dozen assorted sunfish, another catfish, but surprisingly no bass. I did have something big break me off but I didn't have much of a chance because I was simultaneously fighting a wake board wake.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

I like the idea of the competition, but during winter and spring I'm pretty much exclusively trout fishing so haven't participated.

Here's my second Go Pro video from Wednesday afternoon on the San Marcos between City Park & Rio Vista. This section has become really difficult to catch bass on the fly (or spin for that matter). The city (rightful so) has stopped cutting any of the vegetation. It's great for the river and everything that lives in it, but I don't know how to efficiently get my flies down to their level without completely getting hung up. The flow which is really ripping right now doesn't help at all. They don't seem to ever be interested in top water, so now I just chase sunfish in this section, who on most day's provide plenty of action. The higher flows have changed the way they behave as well, they are less likely to travel out into the current to chase a fly. Some spots that used to reliably hold fish no longer do. You have to really put is on 'em and even then I'm getting lower amounts of aggressive eat's. Hopefully they get used to the higher flows and return to their normal aggressive selves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWSuHBJ ... ture=share
t100

Post by t100 »

I'm in the start of the busy time at work. Wish I had more time to fish. Any opinions on adding the Colorado river to the competition? After both floods this year I've had no luck on the San Marcos. Waiting on the flow to calm down a bit then I will try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zackthefisherman

I don't know whats been up with the Catfish lately but I got another fatty this evening. Three consecutive trips I've caught a Catfish on the fly and I've only caught one prior to them. I'm definitely not complaining because they put up a great fight on a 5wt!
There were some big Mayflies hatching like crazy today. The sunfish, and even a few bass and crappie, were gobbling them up left and right. I didn't have any large mayfly patterns on me so I put on a similar sized hopper. I was able to catch a few bass and sunfish on it but I didn't get the results I was wanting. So I switched back to subsurface and caught a bunch of Crappie and Sunfish.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I too am too busy to be focusing on any competition while I fish. Our whole purpose in promoting the monthly tournament was to get more folks talking in this local forum, and it worked- I also think a monthly photo brag board seeks that same goal. So I'm all for this- post pictures of ANY fish from WHEREVER you caught them.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

I agree with the switch to the brag board until interest in a competition picks back up again. I know for myself, work and Warthog, Jr. have limited my forum time. Hopefully I can get pics from a recent btb trip with sparrow and honkey on here soon.
Zackthefisherman

skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Nice rainbow Zach. How is the Guad fishing? Big flows!
Zackthefisherman

Two from today.

skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Very nice Zack