Fishing Canyon Lake tomorrow 5/11

SMALLeFisher

Fishing Canyon Lake tomorrow 5/11

Post by SMALLeFisher »

Decided to "work" from my kayak tomorrow morning and make a spur of the moment trip to Canyon Lake. Stripers and smallmouths have been cooperating this week so if anyone wants to make a short notice trip you are welcome to join me in the am. Let me know!
redfin21

Re: Fishing Canyon Lake tomorrow 5/11

Post by redfin21 »

Would of really liked to join you but still need to make a freshwater tackle bag. Been fishing salt my whole life. Now that I live in N.B. I would like to learn fishing the lakes and rivers. Have a CUDA 14. Hope to get an invite next time. Good luck and hope to hear a report.
SMALLeFisher

Post by SMALLeFisher »

Sounds good, I will PM you next time I head out. I might even give you more than 5 minutes notice next time too!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

+1 on the request for a follow up report. I haven't caught a smallmouth in probably 20 years. I might need to make a Canyon trip to fix that post haste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Good luck and report back on how you do. I was going to head up there Monday morning because I didn't have any finals that day, but I got lazy and stayed home instead. :mrgreen:

Cuervo, I've never caught a Smallmouth out of Canyon (I also rarely fish it) but I know the Guad both above and below is loaded with them. Most are smaller river bass but I did manage a 19 inch and a 17 inch (avatar) smallmouth last summer. Just food for thought.
SMALLeFisher

Re: Fishing Canyon Lake tomorrow 5/11-Report attached

Post by SMALLeFisher »

Cuervo Jones wrote:+1 on the request for a follow up report. I haven't caught a smallmouth in probably 20 years. I might need to make a Canyon trip to fix that post haste.

It would be worth your time for sure, very easy lake to pattern smallies in even if you don't use electronics. The whole wing of the lake near the dam is just a series of boulders and staircase rock ledges all the way to Canyon ramp #1 so I just work shallow to deep until I find them. Basic stuff, I will shut up.
Zackthefisherman wrote:Good luck and report back on how you do. I was going to head up there Monday morning because I didn't have any finals that day, but I got lazy and stayed home instead. :mrgreen:

Cuervo, I've never caught a Smallmouth out of Canyon (I also rarely fish it) but I know the Guad both above and below is loaded with them. Most are smaller river bass but I did manage a 19 inch and a 17 inch (avatar) smallmouth last summer. Just food for thought.
I agree that the lower Guad is a great small mouth fishery, I've had some great fish come out of there. You would also be quite surprised at what a great fishery the main lake is as well. I go out at least twice a week on Canyon fishing specifically for bronzebacks and rarely have a boring go of it. Plus, when you're feeling lazy or flying solo, its really nice to not have to deal with current and putting out/in, chase car, etc.

All of that being said, my report doesn't exactly dignify the comments above lol. I know I should put this in the report section but I really have nothing to report. Probably shouldn't have gone out this morning after the front that moved through but I will always try, even if it just for the paddle. Fish weren't super active, but I did have a ton of smallies follow and slowly chase but nothing even remotely aggressive. The fish were all holding in about 8-12 feet of water and would only look at 3-4" tube jigs and storm crawdads.

Switched to the fly rod to see if I could finesse one and after an hour, I finally annoyed one into a hook up and proceeded to lose it trying to bill dance it into my kayak. ALWAYS a bad idea with a fly rod. I was so freaking mad because I wanted to at least have one pic to attach to the report since I hate when people don't attach pics. Soooo, here are a few of the lake! Let me know if any of you want to head out there in the near future!
Attachments
Canyon Lake Ramp #1
Canyon Lake Ramp #1
20160511_104137.jpg
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

That tears it! I'm heading to canyon next time I have some spare time. So....next century perhaps.

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Yeah...I’m a little slow to get moving, but I’ve been looking at Canyon Lake again with an idea to chase smallmouth. I’m even tying some new hair jigs with the roadkill critters I’ve been collecting of late. Hoping for the best when I finally go!