Choke Canyon Report

Yakfoot

Choke Canyon Report

Post by Yakfoot »

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Just got back from a large family get together at Choke Canyon SP. Since family time was a priority the yaks stayed at home but we did some driving and scouting. The Callaham, Mason point and Hiway 99 ramps are all well watered but the overall lake lever is quite low. I know from experience that Mason Point and Hiway 99 areas are best for kayaking. However that area is a flooded south Texas river bottom jungle which is almost impassable for power boats when the lake is low and ideal for kayaks. Choke is an excellent catfish fishery packed with high quality blue catfish. I have never gone without bringing back good quality meat for the freezer. The weather was fine this early May but this south Texas park is HOT in the summer. Camping options are tent sites with water, tent/RV sites with water and elect. and "screened shelters" with water, elect and AC. These buildings were originally designed as screened shelters but the screens were boarded up and a small AC was put in so they look like cabins. However, if you are registering online for one you have to specify "Shelter" not cabin or the search will tell you nothing is available. Choke is my favorite state park but we avoid it in the summer due to the heat.

We had a great family time during a long weekend this time around which is more important than fishing.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Re: Choke Canyon Report

Post by Z~MAN »

Thanx for the report yak foot!

Z-man
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Choke Canyon Report

Post by larry long shadows »

any food pictures :lol: