Looking for a new yak..

finaddict_830

Looking for a new yak..

Post by finaddict_830 »

Alright guys, I'm not new to the kayak fishing world, but I'm in the market for a new yak. So far, I've owned a Tarpon 140/160, and an Ocean Kayak Caper. I'm looking to get something comfortable to fish all day in, and something stable because i prefer to fish standing up/sightcast. I fish mostly shallow (6 ft. or less) flats at the coast, or rivers in the Texas hill country. I've been looking at the FeelFree Lure 11.5, Jackson Cuda 12, or Native Slayer 12. my budget is around $1,300. Any reviews/personal experiences with any of these would be appreciated!
Newt556

Re: Looking for a new yak..

Post by Newt556 »

I dont have any personal experience with the three you mentioned. But I have been able to look at all the Jackson kayaks. ANd they all rock!!! If it was me I think I do the Jackson crusie 12ft. About the same spec as the cuda plus the same seat I think, but cheaper give u more money to add extras. I like the looks of the Native especially that open front storage. The lure think I would skip it because of the lack of back support. the seat could be a issue spending all day in it. You could always do that new perception pescador pro 120 that would save you at least $500. Tough call. Lets us know what you decide.
Ruger

Post by Ruger »

I did one of the ACK test paddle events awhile back. I tried a Wilderness, Hobie and a Feel Free. While they were all really nice I just didn't have that "this is the one" feeling. Based on reputation and my budget I chose the 2016 Cuda 12 from FTU. I launched it last week for the first time and I really liked it. I packed a couple of rods and tackle boxes just to figure out what I wanted and where I wanted to carry it. I launched it out of a Tacoma, not pretty but easy to do. I'll have to watch a few more folks do that so I can refine that process. There are a lot of positive attributes about this Cuda. The seat is great! I paddled around for a couple hours and never once felt uncomfortable. The storage compartment with the flip up lid in front of you is nice. I had 3 small tackle boxes, water, sunscreen, dry box and a few fishing items stored inside and they were all easy to get to. It even has small bungee cords underneath the lid for extra stuff if need be it. I moved around a lot (rods in and out of the holders behind the seat, using the anchor trolley and moving stuff around in the center storage compartment)and never once felt unstable. I didn't stand up, too chicken. Maybe next time. No fish to speak of. Maybe this helps maybe it doesn't. Good luck.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Look at an Ocean Kayak Big Game 2...had mine going on 1 1/2 years and love it. I do have to run a crate for carrying rods and tackle, but also have room for a cooler in the belly and the seat is awesome! Standing is a breeze, and the seat folds up to give even more deck room. The weight is also managable.
Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

I have a Jackson Tripper12 , a hybrid kayak that is based on the Cuda 12 hull. It paddles well, tracks well, and is fairly fast. I don't think I'd recommend a Tripper 12/Kilroy for saltwater, but the Cuda 12 or 14 would be awesome, you might also look at the Kraken 13.5.
Eastexfly
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Eastexfly »

I don't have any experience in the ones you have listed but I have recently switched over to a Diablo Amigo and the all day comfort is strong in it. With your budget you could also add the skeg which really helps on longer paddles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I have a Lure 11.5 and really like it. It is heavy and slow, but very stable, comfortable and very easy to stand up on. The hi/lo chair is great, and the boat is really well, thoughtfully built. It is a great all-around boat. If you are going to be primarily fishing the salt and paddling some distance, I'd go with something a bit longer and faster. But, for what you describe, I think the Lure would be a good choice.