Colorado River Run - Open Invite

TexanBrewer

Re: Colorado River Run - Open Invite

Post by TexanBrewer »

Water looks good. Not brilliantly clear as I've seen it in some of the lower parts of the Colorado but not bad, either.

Y'all are going to have a fantastic trip; I know we did.

Weather was so nice I decided against a tent. The Cuda's flashlight makes a nice area lamp.
Under the stars...
Under the stars...
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

it didn't look good at first, but the stars just might align! i've got a deal working on a new to me coosa hd that i should pick up on thursday! if not i may just go rent a boat for the weekend. my wife and i should be there and we'll meet at the walgreens saturday morning! what time should we be there?
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

When exactly is this trip?? i'd love to make it , but have a wedding end of the month, so lots of planning going on
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

The trip is to be this Friday - Sunday, April 15 - 17. Not sure when the Friday bunch is setting off hopefully Steve will chime in. Saturday group should meet up around 7 to 7:30 at the Walgreens at Tahitian Dr in Bastrop. We will be self shuttling cars to Smithville and I hope to launch around 8:30 To 9.

Weather might be a factor and I will try to keep posting if plans change.
steven7

Post by steven7 »

Sorry I haven't chimed in until now. The cool Friday group will head out that morning after vehicles have been situated. Not sure what time yet, (because we're so cool and Chris is always late) but knowing how it usually goes, we will be launching around 9 am. Keep in mind that the weather forecast has turned sour in the last few days. Strong probability of T-storms on Sat and Sun. I have learned over the years to not trust weathermen, so a decision won't be made until Thurs at the soonest and possibly not until I wake up that morning and look at the radar and forecast. We are all excited and have had this trip planned for several months and I don't mind a little bit of rain, but I also have the safety of others and myself in mind. We'll plan to go, but know that it may be cancelled if things start making a turn for the worse. in the weather as the week progresses.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

What Steve said I''ll wait till later in the week and see how weather holds...I don't mind getting a lil wet but not soaked.. been there done that ..we did a trip where it rained all day not fun ...
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Well some of the core group have expressed misgivings about this weekends forecast. I still want to go this weekend but if this weeks rain events cause the river to flood or for the conditions to be bad this float will be postponed till April 29 to May 1. Steve or I will post when a decision is made. I hope that y'all can make it since I'd like to meet everyone.
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

Just a heads up warning. The BP MS 150 bike ride will be this weekend, April 16-17. Sunday (Day 2) Bike traffic will be heavy on HWY 71 in the Smithville area before noon with lunch stop at Bastrop. See attached map for more details. Looking forward to a great post trip report with some kayaking, camping and fish pics.
Attachments
TXH_2016_BP_MS_150_Map_Day_2.pdf
(630.67 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

fishr3 wrote:Just a heads up warning. The BP MS 150 bike ride will be this weekend, April 16-17. Sunday (Day 2) Bike traffic will be heavy on HWY 71 in the Smithville area before noon with lunch stop at Bastrop. See attached map for more details. Looking forward to a great post trip report with some kayaking, camping and fish pics.
and that means traffic coming back to H town will be bad Sunday ...i still want to go but it keeps getting if-ie
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

the traffic i can deal with, muddy waters mixed with a choked river full of veggies will kill the trip! i go for the fishing and camping is a bonus! hopefully someone local can give an update on the water conditions on friday!
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Well as much as I hate to I am going to postpone this trip for a couple of weeks. Looks like most of the Colorado watershed got an inch plus so the river is going to rise and be muddy for a little while. Also it looks like there is a good chance of more rain over the weekend.

Right now we are planning to try again April 29 - May 1. I would still like people to come but understand if you can't.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

sleepyTX wrote:Well as much as I hate to I am going to postpone this trip for a couple of weeks. Looks like most of the Colorado watershed got an inch plus so the river is going to rise and be muddy for a little while. Also it looks like there is a good chance of more rain over the weekend.

Right now we are planning to try again April 29 - May 1. I would still like people to come but understand if you can't.
Well I think its a good call ..not sure if i can commit for 29 yet but will try and made it ..
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

That stinks, I just picked up my new ride today and got all the camping gear ready. At least it's all good to go for next time though. I've seen the river muddy and choked so it's probably a good thing not to waste the trip. Hopefully we can make the next one.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Just got chased home from North Texas by the weather forecast. 100% chance of thunderstorms in next 48 hours with the possibility of baseball and softball hail.
TexanBrewer

Post by TexanBrewer »

Just heard word from the livery in Columbus that the Colorado is as high as its been since 1938.

It'll probably be back to normal by the weekend after next but y'all need to be aware of strainers and other junk in the water when you take your trip.
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Everyone
I think it would be best to cancel next weekends trip. The river is still pretty high and while it is dropping, LCRA released a statement that they would be increasing releases to keep the reservoirs from getting to full. I expect the water to stay pretty murky for a while and that usually messes up the fishing.

Sorry everyone this looked like it was going to be a good trip but I should have scheduled it a week or so earlier.

Stay tuned I will be organizing a fall trip

Latter
Ed
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

TTT
I'm going to try and set this trip up for sometime this fall. Tentative dates will be Oct 22-23
neskora

Post by neskora »

I'll be in for those dates. May even go a little further than Smithville if anyone would be interested in extending the back end of the trip.
Welderdude

Post by Welderdude »

Woohoo! This might be a trip I can be part of. Definitely do some planning and keep us updated.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Thats one I still want to do,,Ed how about making a new thread on this one so we don't have to look at all these old post Thanks