Have you ever

Salty Bum

Have you ever

Post by Salty Bum »

opened an old fly box and say what the hell was I thinking when I tied those :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i just did - i was needing a new box for some flies I'm tying so I got out a box that has been on the shelf for a long time and opened it and just started laughing
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Have you ever

Post by Ron Mc »

Absolutely. Thing is, they always caught fish. It's never about the fly. It's how you use it.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I have a dedicated box of misfit flies, like the island of toys on Rudolph the red nose reindeer. I have spoon flies I made that are registered lethal weapons in 48 states. It would take an 18 weight, if they made such a thing, to cast them. They are so heavy they make excellent surf fishing weights. I have floating flies that don't float, sinking flies that don't sink. I have color combinations that induce vomiting of you stare at them for more than 3 seconds.
badfish

Post by badfish »

Wow karstopo you just described most of my boxes.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Absolutely, but like Ron said they still caught fish, at least most of them haha. All of those old flies that I know I won't use that are tied sloppy or i used way too much material on I keep in a box in my truck. If people are inquisitive at the boat ramp about fly fishing or if I see kids around my neighborhood ponds with buggy whips, I'll usually give them a bunch of my misfit flies. Let's me clear out my boxes and hopefully encourages those people to pursue the sport.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Absolutely, but like Ron said they still caught fish, at least most of them haha. All of those old flies that I know I won't use that are tied sloppy or i used way too much material on I keep in a box in my truck. If people are inquisitive at the boat ramp about fly fishing or if I see kids around my neighborhood ponds with buggy whips, I'll usually give them a bunch of my misfit flies. Let's me clear out my boxes and hopefully encourages those people to pursue the sport.
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

elnaco

Post by elnaco »

rockin4m

Post by rockin4m »

karstopo wrote:I have a dedicated box of misfit flies, like the island of toys on Rudolph the red nose reindeer. I have spoon flies I made that are registered lethal weapons in 48 states. It would take an 18 weight, if they made such a thing, to cast them. They are so heavy they make excellent surf fishing weights. I have floating flies that don't float, sinking flies that don't sink. I have color combinations that induce vomiting of you stare at them for more than 3 seconds.
now that is funny!!
elnaco

Post by elnaco »

Woaahhh. Sorry for the quadruple post, the site was freezing up on me the other day and it looks like it posted every time I hit reply.
Moondog94

Post by Moondog94 »

It is always funny to see what flies I tied in my past as I crafted myself into the angler I am today, they're very poorly tied milestones of my fly fishing career :lol:
Mddauby

Post by Mddauby »

It's sort of neat to open up your box and see the progression in your development as a fly tier. As a relative newb to the sport, my fly tying prowess ( :lol: ) has improved dramatically in a short time; so I can only imagine opening up a box years down the road.

Like a mini fly tying time capsule.