Solo Camping

oldsalt

Solo Camping

Post by oldsalt »

How do you solo campers entertain yourselves when the sun goes down? I never had a problem with this when I was young but now that I'm in retirement I'm reluctant to camp alone because I typically sleep less than 6 hrs. I don't want to be laying there awake at 3 in the morning because I turned in at 8pm.

Also, what do you do for the skeeters for those of you that camp around the bays. Do you put on a bee keepers outfit from sun down to sun rise?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Solo Camping

Post by texnomad »

I ran into the same trouble when I last camped away from my travel trailer several years ago. It was winter and not much sun time and lots of in the tent time in excess of my sleep requirements. After a couple of sessions of total boredom I just quit the tent camping. Now I stay in my trailer where I can have internet to play upon.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Since youth I have always had a good book near.
Last edited by Hirsch on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I can understand the issue but never seem to be bothered with it. I too sleep few hours and awake early and sleep light. See I am up now. I make a lot of solo trips.

Personally having those very quiet solo moments prior to sunrise is precisely why I like to solo camp or even when with a group I rise early and sit by the fire or just sit and listen to the world around me. God created a wondrous place for us to live and I really enjoy marveling at the creation and what a true piece of engineering. I tell my wife that I am always at church on Sunday mornings regardless of where I may be.

Sometimes there is a full moon and sometimes it is pitch black with fog so thick you cannot see your hand in front of your face. It provides me with that time to reflect on my life and those in my life. What paths do I need to change, what paths would I like to change in my sons. What traits do I see in those around me that I need to adopt? What survival skill do I want to practice or improve? What do I want to change in my gear, what is in need or repair or replacement? What is my next trip or adventure? Will I do this trip again? Was last nights dinner a repeat and oh how good it was to have a warm meal by a fire. And a lot more, yea my head is full of stuff sometimes.

What I DO NOT think about.
Work
Finances
My own demise

Personal opinion here so do not take offense: I find so many folks needing to be "entertained" and some of them just cannot seem to find peace with themselves. I have a hard time relating to those people. My boys have been raised so that they do not need entertainment and find just sitting around a fire with a warm meal all the fun they need, with no cell phones or electronics at all.

Earl
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Earl wrote:I can understand the issue but never seem to be bothered with it. I too sleep few hours and awake early and sleep light. See I am up now. I make a lot of solo trips.

Personally having those very quiet solo moments prior to sunrise is precisely why I like to solo camp or even when with a group I rise early and sit by the fire or just sit and listen to the world around me. God created a wondrous place for us to live and I really enjoy marveling at the creation and what a true piece of engineering. I tell my wife that I am always at church on Sunday mornings regardless of where I may be.

Sometimes there is a full moon and sometimes it is pitch black with fog so thick you cannot see your hand in front of your face. It provides me with that time to reflect on my life and those in my life. What paths do I need to change, what paths would I like to change in my sons. What traits do I see in those around me that I need to adopt? What survival skill do I want to practice or improve? What do I want to change in my gear, what is in need or repair or replacement? What is my next trip or adventure? Will I do this trip again? Was last nights dinner a repeat and oh how good it was to have a warm meal by a fire. And a lot more, yea my head is full of stuff sometimes.

Work
Finances
My own demise

Personal opinion here so do not take offense: I find so many folks needing to be "entertained" and some of them just cannot seem to find peace with themselves. I have a hard time relating to those people. My boys have been raised so that they do not need entertainment and find just sitting around a fire with a warm meal all the fun they need, with no cell phones or electronics at all.

Earl
X2 Thanks Earl. I though I was the only one.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I am a fan of audio books. I prefer using one of those little "bullet shaped" speakers that will run several days on a charge along with an iPod with a battery pack to charge it at least once. If there is excessive surf noise you may want to replace the speaker with ear buds.
As to the skeeters, the best thing I've found is a thermacell.......and it isn't perfect.
You can use "flying insect killer" to kill what's already in the tent and then the thermacell to lessen the re accumulation.
The ear buds reduce them flying critters buzzing your ear hole a bit, doesn't help with the bites though.

If all else fails go to the emergency whiskey bottle, drink till you pass out, feed the skeeters all night and worry about it in the morning!
army

Post by army »

I found this to be a very interesting post, asking a very valid question. The answers are, as would be expected, varied, because they come from folks with different personalities. Some of us need to be occupied or entertained, others don't and there are those who lie in between. All the answers are valid for each group.

I for one, have always enjoyed my own company. Growing up, my mom and dad both worked and I had only an older brother. But, there were 9 years difference in our ages, thus we were not very close. We only began to become really close when I reached 50 and we found ourselves living fairly close, about 150 miles apart. Then he up and died on me.

I solo camp frequently and enjoy it tremendously. I don't do so, however, on the coast but along the Brazos and Colorado and in a few state parks. I find it relaxing, peaceful and rewarding to sit in front of a campfire, having a conversation with myself. I solve a lot of problems, both personal and of the world. Perhaps the thing I appreciate most is never losing an argument. A campfire, the sound of rushing water, stars, a moon, a fire, an Owl screeching, the sound of a Whippoorwill, all convince me that there had to be a plan, and a planner. I never feel closer to my maker than when I'm camped in his creation, alone.

As far a skeeters are concerned, a campfire and spray repellant have always worked for me. I must also hasten to add, that a bottle of good adult spirits also contribute to the enjoyment and appreciation of my surroundings. A plastic hospital urinal in the tent next to my mat and sleeping bag insures a restful night. God, I love it!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

this needs to go under camping gear.. plastic hospital urinal in the tent next to my mat and sleeping bag insures a restful night. God, I love it!
Thanks Army
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

I typically kayak fish to the point of exhaustion. If I can't sleep, I just tend to the campfire and enjoy the sights and sounds of the outdoors.
fisher of people

Post by fisher of people »

Earl wrote:I can understand the issue but never seem to be bothered with it. I too sleep few hours and awake early and sleep light. See I am up now. I make a lot of solo trips.

Work
Finances
My own demise

Earl
This. My trips are virtually all solo, though my dog usually accompanies, me, so not sure if that can technically be considered solo. I've made some pretty long canoeing and backpacking trips, and can't recall that I've ever gotten bored or lonely. I always take my Nook (ereader), journal, bottle of bourbon, and a chair, I spend a lot of time reading, writing, praying, and just sitting and watching the world. I was out backpacking solo in the Wind River Range for 13 days this past September, just about the best 2 weeks of my adult life. I faced many challenges, but boredom was not one of them!
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

This is a good post. I solo camp probably 90% of the time. I can't recall ever getting bored. I spend the evenings tending the fire and having a few cold ones until I can't hold my eyes open anymore. A big fire and mosquito spray helps with them blood suckers. Some of my friends always tell me that I prefer being by myself, which, in a way I do. I like what was stated above about being at church. I have been asked what I did over the weekend and I say, "Went to church!". Me and the Good Lord always have some good conversations around the campfire.
And it always seems I see and encounter more wild life and nature when I'm alone. Like waking up just at daybreak to watch a couple of coyotes hunt along the shoreline. Or a battle of wits with them crafty raccoons trying to get into my cooler during the night. Watching a territorial fight between 2 alligators one morning. That was a sight to see! I just love the outdoors! :D
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure Barnacle Bill answered this question years ago, something about using the time to hone his knowledge of fish attractants, their usage and composition, placement, strategic usage and such. Basically mastering the art of baiting...or words to that effect.
jakehardgrave

Post by jakehardgrave »

There is so much to be learned from just sitting and watching the birds. They always seem to out fish us.
adventuredoggist

Post by adventuredoggist »

I play with my dog. She's the best company :)
roninrus1

Post by roninrus1 »

Hirsch wrote:Since youth I have always had a good book near.
Been doing it for 60 years.
Good book and a candle lantern!
roninrus1

Post by roninrus1 »

fisher of people wrote:

Work
Finances
My own demise

Earl
This. My trips are virtually all solo, though my dog usually accompanies, me, so not sure if that can technically be considered solo. I've made some pretty long canoeing and backpacking trips, and can't recall that I've ever gotten bored or lonely. I always take my Nook (ereader), journal, bottle of bourbon, and a chair, I spend a lot of time reading, writing, praying, and just sitting and watching the world. I was out backpacking solo in the Wind River Range for 13 days this past September, just about the best 2 weeks of my adult life. I faced many challenges, but boredom was not one of them!
Amen, cardinal rule on my boat - NO PHONES.
Enjoy going it alone because so many people can't sit quietly. They have to be talking!
aaronrodg

Post by aaronrodg »

Get a good book. :wink:
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I fish till I drop. I used to avoid a nap in between but as I get older, does not seem to make a difference. I still get up early as it takes me a while to get going. Having a good hot meal in the evening slows things down.
I have a tent cot. As long as I keep the sand off my feet and zipped up, am good for the night.
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

I take the dog.
I kayak and fish down the river until about an hour from dark, that way I know I won't be just sitting around too long. I find a good spot, pitch the tent, start a small fire and relax. I cook and eat something, usually just boil water for a dehydrated meal. About an hour after dark I'm exhausted and I turn in.
The dog is usually asleep before me.
ATXHG

Post by ATXHG »

Evenings are almost a ritual. Set up camp and make dinner. Watch the sunset, the stars come out, then just gaze at the sky until it's time for bed. It's all about soaking up the solitude. Having something tasty to drink that warms the corners of my insides doesn't hurt the mood, either.

Just in case, a good book and extra batteries for the headlamp are handy.
Yakfoot

Post by Yakfoot »

I just friggin love being alone with the night. I find it so nourishing so I don't relate to having something to "do". Except if it is raining and you are trying to stay out of it during the day. Yeah, I don't smoke but somehow a pipe and a tin of Squadron Leader finds some use when I am alone in the night with no women to lecture me about the foolishness of a few pipes a year and whisky.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Chief Brody wrote:I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure Barnacle Bill answered this question years ago, something about using the time to hone his knowledge of fish attractants, their usage and composition, placement, strategic usage and such. Basically mastering the art of baiting...or words to that effect.
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

larry long shadows wrote:
Chief Brody wrote:I can't find it now, but I'm pretty sure Barnacle Bill answered this question years ago, something about using the time to hone his knowledge of fish attractants, their usage and composition, placement, strategic usage and such. Basically mastering the art of baiting...or words to that effect.
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
I was worried no one was going to get it...
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

I usually set out some lines if I am camping by the water which is typical put bells on my rigs and rest and listen. Thermocell for skeeters
ATXflyguy83

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

It seems I rarely have this problem. Most of the time I'm too exhausted to stay up too late but that's usually from a full day's worth of hiking. On a kayaking trip, I could probably bring more things I wouldn't normally bring. I think if the boredom was starting to creep up, I'd probably have a book handy or even a fly kit to tie some flies. You can't go wrong with a small deck of cards for some Solitaire too.