Skinny water reds with Rick Spillman 2-20-16

Hemi Fisher

Skinny water reds with Rick Spillman 2-20-16

Post by Hemi Fisher »

I had an opportunity to go out with Rick Spillman of Rick's Kayak Adventures this past weekend. This is my 2nd time fishing with Rick, and I recommend everyone, new or experienced, make it a point to fish with him at least once. With the temps being warmer these past few weeks, we decided to try and sight cast some shallow water reds. The first fish came only about 5 minutes into the trip when I picked off an 18" red from 1 of the lights in a canal. I'm definitely going to have to give night fishing a try this spring/summer.

Once we got out into open water, we tried throwing tops and plastics when I saw a very distinct tail along the grass. We made our way to the shoreline, pitched a Chicken Boy shad in front of the tail, and it was fish on...

I let that fish go, and then we continued scanning the shoreline. Wasn't long after that we saw a group of tails in the grass. Pitched the Chicken Boy at the tails, and hooked up again...another solid red...

We kept working the grass, and made our way into a little marsh. Rick spotted a back in about 4" of water and snagged this nice red...

From here, we saw a few rays and a couple more reds in the shallows, but they were very spooky and wouldn't take the bait. By 10am or so, the tide had fallen out and was now slack, and the rest of the fish seemed to disappear. We did see quite a few mud boils, but nothing that was interested in our bait. We packed up around noon and headed back to the ramp. We could not have asked for better weather, and it was nice getting back out on the water after being land locked for the past 3-4 months. Thanks again Rick.
Rockclimber

Re: Skinny water reds with Rick Spillman 2-20-16

Post by Rockclimber »

Rick is a great guide and great guy to spend time with. He will teach you to find fish and a lot about the area.
Erock

Post by Erock »

Dang Matt, looks like Rick is not only a good guide but a great photographer also! Those pics definitely capture the trip! Glad you finally got out buddy!
JMS

Post by JMS »

Where does he guide out of?
EZ-E
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by EZ-E »

^^^^^ He lives in Oyster Creek but can put you on fish almost all over the coast. Give him a call & let him know your plans, i'm sure he can fill your niche.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Yep, Rick is the man!