Hunting Kayaks

J McCoy

Hunting Kayaks

Post by J McCoy »

Looking to purchase a yak this year. My 1st priority will be for hunting purposes. My second priority will be for fishing. Can you guys post your setups as well as what type of game you use it for?

I'm looking to get something with a high weight capacity. Enough for two people, a dog, and gear. Looking for suggestions.

Currently at the top of the list is the NuCanoe Frontier 12. I know there are other manufactures out there though.
dirthas

Re: Hunting Kayaks

Post by dirthas »

Not sure how much gear you have, but with the open deck and 650 lb weight limit you could easily fit two people, a dog, and some gear in a Nucanoe Frontier 12. This is what I have, although I haven't used it for hunting. Thing is it may paddle like a barge with all that weight. Make sure you have two paddles and a buddy that's willing to help :)

Ive also been out in tandem Native Ultimates and they are great too, I would add that to the list of options if you haven't already.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I don't hunt duck, but I have considered hunting some areas where you paddle across a lake to hunt deer. Any kayak with stability and capacity would work. Maybe some duck guys will post some setup pics. It should make for a fun project!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

With that much weight and volume of gear, I think you need to be looking at larger tripping/expedition canoes in the 17 foot range. Here is a good example http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/peno ... bscot_174/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
hillbillie

Post by hillbillie »

your on the right track with the Nucanoe. I have the frontier 12 and wouldn't swap it for any other kayak. It paddles slow but my dog or kid are not going to make me turtle.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

it sounds like you need a flat bottom jon boat with a small motor or mud motor if skinny water/mud is your thing. two people, dog, plus gear, and weight of the game will be pushing even the most battleship kayaks. the weight rating on them is max weight before you take on water and possibly sink it. 2/3 of that weight rating will be what the kayak can handle smoothly before it's hard to paddle and maneuver. it also depends on what you're hunting too. duck or goose won't really effect weight much but deer, hog, or other bigger game will for sure due to the space they'll take up and their weight. if you can try and rent one and load that sucker down with your buddy and dog at least to get an idea of how it will handle and then think about any extra weight you'll be bringing.
J McCoy

Post by J McCoy »

It has to be a kayak or a canoe type setup with low draft and short length. A true Canoe isn't an option if its over 12-14 feet. Hence why I asked for options :)

The areas I hunt in are fairly shallow pockets off of rivers.
pdt818
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: "All the muchachas call me big pappa when i throw pesos their way"

Post by pdt818 »

Jackson Kilroy for me. I also have another craft that might be right up your alley for sale in the classifieds section. Pics included and asking $600, which is considerably less that a new NuCanoe.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

14 feet of length maximum and shallow draft at the loads you are talking about is wide jon boat territory in my experiences in the marsh.
ryanwest

Post by ryanwest »

I bought a pursuit and actually like it. I tried the Frontier too but liked the seat system in the pursuit better.
SFAjacks12

Post by SFAjacks12 »

I duck hunt out of a Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 trident. I can put 2 shotguns in the rod pod, a mojo and shell bag in the front storage and either a dog or decoys in the back well. I usually hunt with a partner who paddles my Ocean Kayak 13 prowler with a shell bag and accessories in the front storage and decoys in the back well.
agtex42

Post by agtex42 »

J McCoy wrote:It has to be a kayak or a canoe type setup with low draft and short length. A true Canoe isn't an option if its over 12-14 feet. Hence why I asked for options :)

Will you be hunting from the boat in "navigable water" or using it for transportation only? I'm with texnomad in that a jon boat is much more suitable for the load you'd be looking to carry regardless of the end game mentioned above. I don't think you'd be happy with any kayak if shooting from the boat with two plus a dog is involved.
Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

pdt818 wrote:Jackson Kilroy for me. I also have another craft that might be right up your alley for sale in the classifieds section. Pics included and asking $600, which is considerably less that a new NuCanoe.
How long are the yak attack rails on your Kilroy?

Thanks
jharry3

Post by jharry3 »

The boat you are looking for was invented a long time ago in a nearby state:

http://www.pirogue.com/cotton.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pirogue.com/king.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I have a Commander 140. Super stable. I mainly fish, but have taken it duck hunting. Plenty of room for decoys and blind material or even a dog. I think the weight limit is 475, but that's something the WS website will have. Tracks well, not self bailing, but I haven't ever had to bail or dump water until I returned to launch. It handles bay chop well. 14 feet, they make a 12' one too.
TG Canoes and Kayaks

Post by TG Canoes and Kayaks »

The Jackson Kayak Kilroy DT and the Big Tuna may be options. The Big Rig is the hunting platform, however. Put the seat in the high position, cover the kayak (and yourself) with camo, put your Realtree 10 or 12 gauge on you lap and enjoy. Shooting from the raised seated position is a comfortable advantage. Standing is easy, too. Paddle out, recover the birds, and do it again. A dog is optional, although always good company.

Duane
512-353-3946
Hleror

Post by Hleror »

texnomad wrote:With that much weight and volume of gear, I think you need to be looking at larger tripping/expedition canoes in the 17 foot range. Here is a good example http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/penobscot/bastacas/penobscot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Here's a shot of an 18.5 foot canoe loaded for 12 nights in Quetico. If I took a couple of food bags out, I'd have what I'd need for an overnight. But that would gain me only 1.5 feet of space for the kids.
Last edited by Hleror on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jessicaherron

Post by jessicaherron »

You can try Intex Excursion Pro Kayak which is came with two paddles. It can take an overall weight capacity of 400lbs, which isn’t bad!
DUKFVR

Post by DUKFVR »

I have a Frontier 12 & use it for hunting. Definitely in the area of what you are looking for. I can load it down pretty good & still paddles ok.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

J McCoy wrote:It has to be a kayak or a canoe type setup with low draft and short length. A true Canoe isn't an option if its over 12-14 feet. Hence why I asked for options :)

You asked for options and your batting outside your safe zone. You want to be on a T-shirt, go ahead.

I’d look for two kayaks and split the load with a partner. If duck hunting one haul the dog and the other the decoys. Take summer paddling where a dunk might be refreshing and then seriously look at worse case scenario for winter hunting. It can go south real quick out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro