Elephant Butte Lake

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Elephant Butte Lake

Post by texnomad »

I will be yakking on Elephant Butte Lake New Mexico and that area in April. If anyone has some wisdom to send my way about the yakking out that way it would be appreciated.
castin4fish

Re: Elephant Butte Lake

Post by castin4fish »

Seen it once back in the 80's. Big lake. Good luck.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I have hiked etc in the magnificent mountains just west of EB Lake but never have been on the lake there. There is supposed to be some neat stuff upstream on the Rio Grande from the lake itself.
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

I haven't fished there much, just a few times. Last time I was there was April 2014, so take it for what it's worth. The lake was fairly low, and there is now quite a bit of water in there. We camped near Marina Del Sol. The best luck for bass I had was in the coves on the opposite side of the lake, the east side I guess. Mainly fishing soft plastics, 4" senkos in pretty dark colors. We manged to catch some walleye, crappie, and catfish trolling bottom bouncers near the marina as well. At that time another kayak angler caught all the white bass he could stand near the head of the lake on crank baits. Hope that helps.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Yep DT that helps a bunch. Thank you.
Barrynoids

bsp Elephant Butte Lake

Post by Barrynoids »

You will love it. Relax and enjoy outstanding fishing, hunting, and just generally no people.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Thanks I did when I was there three years ago. Haven't been back since my initial post. Planning on being in the area this fall though.
Poseidon01

Post by Poseidon01 »

I live 1.5 Hrs away and visit that Butte 3-4 a year. For the past 5 years the lake has been down to its lowest in history. I have fished a few Largemouth bass and some catfish but nothing else, there are walleye, carp and hybrid stripers. This year I have not visited but have seen reports of water levels coming up gradually. It is a good place to relax and paddle and if you like to take a swim there are a few exposed islands where you can find a spot set up a small shade relax and when you get hot you can jump off a rock into a deep end during summer time. Late Fall through late Spring water is a bit chilly. The lake is usually not packed with motorized watercraft .The scenery is nice as the hills and desert landscape meet the lake, rattlesnakes, deer and a few coyotes make the view better. There are some marked trails that if you follow you should be ok but if you decide to off-road make sure you stay towards the flat areas as the sand is loose and deep.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Thank you for the update. I plan to be back in the area spring of 2020.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

texnomad: Tried to PM you about Falcon Lake. You in Rockport, or out traveling? Would like your info & help. TexasJim
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

TexasJim wrote:texnomad: Tried to PM you about Falcon Lake. You in Rockport, or out traveling? Would like your info & help. TexasJim
Try this texnomad@hotmail.com for a direct contact.