sun glasses

4trevor

Re: sun glasses

Post by 4trevor »

Blackcloud61 wrote:I've found that Strike King seems to be the most durable for cheap ($30.00 or less) polarized sunglasses. They aren't vented so they do steam up if I'm wearing a buff but the lenses don't pop out every time I clean them.
Use the good ones like maui, costa, wx, Oakley if in calm water. The degree of difference in the polarizing is unbelievable. Cheap ones are for btb or just playing in the surf.
I found a simple test for how well the glasses will work for me is to look at my cell phone in portrait mode. The screen should be crisp and clear. Rotate the phone to landscape mode and the screen should go black. If I still see the screen then they will allow too much glare when I use them. Just an observation, don't know why it works.
I think if they don't go black in landscape they aren't actually polarized. I watched a video on YouTube a while back that demonstrated this with polarized and regular sunglasses. Also, the video showed that if you have 2 pairs of sunglasses and want to check polarization, overlap one lens with the lens from the 2nd pair while looking through lenses. When they overlap, should get really dark/black also.
stryper

Post by stryper »

Glass Hobies for me, we sold everything else at Meltons and Hobie Glass lenses seemed the best.
ThePopinCorkKid

Post by ThePopinCorkKid »

what is yall's opinion on lens color?
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

Amber for sure... Offer a great contrast to the water.
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

I use nothing but Amber.
Laked0g

Post by Laked0g »

I have CSS (Cant See Sh!t) I get prescription Polarized glasses, however I use last years glasses because I have already replaced them, especially when in the Kayak. Just in case I get them wiped off my face.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Glass lenses only. They are so much more durable. I think Amber is great but this year I got a new pair of Costas with the Copper color lenses and if you are sight fishing for reds these are incredible.

All I do is sight fish with the fly rod. So if I don't see the fish I don't even cast.

John
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

maskale wrote:are high end glasses worth the money, IMO they are overpriced.
I use to be a big advocate of the $10 cheapies. ... no mas.

The glare reduction on Costa's are the best. There is a huge difference and they let me see more of everything. Keep some lense cleaner aboard.

2x in the last 2 weeks I freaked out because I couldn't find my glasses... they were already on ;-) love them, I guess I've gotten so used to them being all that is my new norm.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

If you're not buying prescription, then I'd recommend you spend the money, get the brand name and take good care of them. But if, like me, you have to have glasses to see, I will tell you that you can get as good or better quality lenses from most good Optical retailers if you are specific when you place your order, and frames are just plastic, so there is no need to spend big on frames. With Costa and the likes, you get great lenses, along with over[priced frames and you're buying a name.

My current pair of prescription sunglasses are Zeiss lenses - as good a quality as any - the polarizing layer is spot on, sun-protection filters and Progressive lenses magnified for tying knots and on Columbia wrap-around frames. I paid about 65% of what a pair of Costas cost. Not sure what Costas would cost with my prescription and the Progressive bifocals.
EZ-E
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by EZ-E »

I made the switch from Costa to Salt Life Optics back in February after a pair of Costas that were 3 months old (xmas gift) had the arm break off & i wasn't even hard on them. The Zeiss lenses in the Salt Lifes are pretty tuff. I prefer a polymer lens after breaking a few pair of glass lenses when they fell off the counter on the tile floor in the kitchen or the boat ramp.

Costa used to use Zeiss lenses but they dont any more ... if they do its a lower form & not maked with the "Z" emebeded on the back side of the lens.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yaklash wrote:If you're not buying prescription, then I'd recommend you spend the money, get the brand name and take good care of them. But if, like me, you have to have glasses to see, I will tell you that you can get as good or better quality lenses from most good Optical retailers if you are specific when you place your order, and frames are just plastic, so there is no need to spend big on frames. With Costa and the likes, you get great lenses, along with over[priced frames and you're buying a name.

My current pair of prescription sunglasses are Zeiss lenses - as good a quality as any - the polarizing layer is spot on, sun-protection filters and Progressive lenses magnified for tying knots and on Columbia wrap-around frames. I paid about 65% of what a pair of Costas cost. Not sure what Costas would cost with my prescription and the Progressive bifocals.
Good idea, I have prescription Costas (without any correction for farsightedness ) and love them, but it was about a five hundred dollar transaction with exam, frames, etc. I've had Zeiss binoculars and I'm sure there sunglasses are just as good. I assume these are glass, not interested in plastic as I tend to scratch plastic pdq.