ROTOMOLDED SOLOSKIFF

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: ROTOMOLDED SOLOSKIFF

Post by richg99 »

Sorry to hear that. My 9.9 Nissan (Tohatsu) was the best pull-starting motor I ever had. rich
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

I picked up a used tohatsu. It started up with 1-2 pulls each time on a cold start. I have to leave it on full choke for about 30secs to a minute. Then i pust the choke in and its ready to run.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

3 years ago when I ordered my Solo Skiff I also ordered a Tohatsu 3.5hp from Tom. The engine was very tough to start when cold but within two pulls when warmed up. I wore out two pull ropes the first two months of ownership. After struggling to start once when I was very, very far away from civilization and alone, I took it to Factory Boat Parts on I-45. They replaced some starter parts under warranty and it never gave me another problem. Started within 3 or less pulls when cold and one when warm. It never left me stranded and believe me, if you don't have complete confidence in your engine you'll under utilize the capability of the Solo Skiff.

The 6HP requires 2-5 pulls when cold and one once it's warmed up. It's quieter, faster and my confidence level is very high. Knowing the engine is rock solid is imperative because fishing where no one can come to save me unless they have a helicopter or a Solo Skiff is really what SK is all about.

SK website talks about "Go it alone." That's exactly where you'll find yourself on these boats.

On that note I've setup a group on Face Book for Solo Skiff owners. Send me your face book name and I'll invite you to join up IF YOU OWN A SOLO SKIFF (send me a picture of your boat please). I figure we can set up some trips together, share stories and rigging information. Just want a small private group.

Texas Solo SKiff
Last edited by Forever Fishing on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishstory

Post by Fishstory »

Just picked up my Tohatsu 6 hp this morning. Fired right up when I tested it at the dealership, got home and it gave me a little fit. But I remembered the idle was a little low when picked it up, so starting it on restart vs start position seems to help, also bumped the idle up just a little. Now just waiting on the next shipments of boats from Outback Kayak. Rumor is that they shipped Thursday or Friday last week, expecting the boat this week. Crossing my fingers, will be nice to have it for the long weekend.
pshay4

Post by pshay4 »

My 3.5 hp Tohatsu never gives any problems. The 4 hp was horrible. The shifter didn't put it where it needed to be in N, so the cord wouldn't pull. I had to take the top off and move the release by hand. I got good at getting it in position, but it needed an adjustment. The speed between the 3.5 and 4 was pretty considerable, but it wasn't worth the hassle for me. I have a trolling motor that came with it. I've never tried it out, but think I will soon.
rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Tohatsu question, are you guys changing the prop out for a stainless version? I can see the aluminium one shattering if you accidentally hit an oyster bed or the like.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

pshay4 wrote: I have a trolling motor that came with it. I've never tried it out, but think I will soon.
I prefer using the trolling motor while fishing with the SK. Let us know how it goes.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

rab3rd wrote:Tohatsu question, are you guys changing the prop out for a stainless version? I can see the aluminium one shattering if you accidentally hit an oyster bed or the like.
The 6hp has a metal prop. Never had an issue with the 3.5 plastic prop breaking. It did cavitate which was really annoying.
rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Im told that the next shipment of solo's are in Houston and should be delivered some time tomorrow afternoon.
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Hey! Where are the reviews, with pics, by new buyers? :)
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

To the guy in Pearland that asked me about the soloskiff. Please PM me if you would like to see the solo skiff. I dont remember your handle. I think it was redfish2005?
Fishstory

Post by Fishstory »

Finally have my Solo Skiff, registered this morning. Trying to put it on the water tomorrow and get a feel for it. Reviews coming soon. For now I can tell you that its pretty heavy, not sure about launching from the truck yet. Anyone here have anything to say about launching these yet?
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Not a solo-skiff, but a 13 foot Gheenoe in TN has been outfitted with two really big wheels. Allows the owner to slide it off of the back of his truck and move it to the water easily. Looks like it would assist in re-loading it, too.

I'll see if I can find the thread. His name on the site is Jakeway.

richg99

p.s. Looks like it will be late tomorrow before I can get you the picture...rich
Copperspoonfly

Post by Copperspoonfly »

Fishstory wrote:Finally have my Solo Skiff, registered this morning. Trying to put it on the water tomorrow and get a feel for it. Reviews coming soon. For now I can tell you that its pretty heavy, not sure about launching from the truck yet. Anyone here have anything to say about launching these yet?
It's it easy to launch from a truck, the problem is when you get home and you have to move the heavy Soloskiff from your truck into the garage. A small trailer makes life a lot easier.
pshay4

Post by pshay4 »

Youtube shows them doing it at a boat ramp. I have a trailer and a spot with a firm sand bottom. Getting it off has never been a problem. It gets difficult for me to lift the back end and push with the weight of the motor. 3.5 hp definitely easier than the 4. It's only hard for me after staying 6+ hours on the water in the heat and being exhausted.
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

I was not able to lift my solo skiff with 6hp outboard and external gas tank onto the bed extender of my truck. I'm currently in the market for a trailer. :(
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Well. Here is a trailer substitute. I agree that a trailer is best, though.
richg99

https://youtu.be/Yw0T_Hp7pAo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyronSmith

Post by MyronSmith »

For those of you who are using a trolling motor, where do you store the battery?
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

In the center hatch. On my glass SK I added a piece of fiber board to the inside of the hull. Place the battery on that and strap it down to some stainless steel u bolts. Drill a hole through the back side of the hatch and insert a trolling motor electrical connector (water proof of course). Attach motor to transom, battery to cable and go. Quick, easy, clean and affordable.

Not sure if you need to add star board to the plastic skiff interior hull. I'll find out and post up.

Works for me.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

pshay4 wrote:Getting it off has never been a problem. It gets difficult for me to lift the back end and push with the weight of the motor. 3.5 hp definitely easier than the 4. It's only hard for me after staying 6+ hours on the water in the heat and being exhausted.
THIS!
MyronSmith

Post by MyronSmith »

Forever Fishing wrote:In the center hatch. On my glass SK I added a piece of fiber board to the inside of the hull. Place the battery on that and strap it down to some stainless steel u bolts. Drill a hole through the back side of the hatch and insert a trolling motor electrical connector (water proof of course). Attach motor to transom, battery to cable and go. Quick, easy, clean and affordable.

Not sure if you need to add star board to the plastic skiff interior hull. I'll find out and post up.

Works for me.

Thanks! I am developing a serious need for a SoloSkiff...

It is getting worse by the day... :)
upnorthtex

Post by upnorthtex »

I got mine Sun, not registered yet as no MSO, coming soon. Carried it to little bay with the new 6 hp Tohatsu on a trailer. A littke tuffer tohandle, unloading and loading even on the trailer tho I am kinda old (78). Think it will need tobe done a few times. Will probably add a winch with strap and a bow eye, then just pull it on. Boat is pretty stable in some rocky water in and out of jetty. Need to get mybutt up higher (cusion?), and a back rest before I can fish it. So far, so good. Art
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

all this just reminds me of the problems of owning a PB :mrgreen:
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Would this help, or some variation of it?
http://www.castlecraft.com/images/Trail ... D-main.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

For the truck bed guys why don't you unbolt the motor for loading and unloading and leave it off while transporting?

That's what I have always done with my Honda that's on my canoe.