ROTOMOLDED SOLOSKIFF

Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: ROTOMOLDED SOLOSKIFF

Post by Forever Fishing »

Seems like the price point of the Tohatsu 6hp has tempted enough people to exceed the recommended maximum horse power rating on the skiff. Proceed at your own peril if you exceed 5HP/50# max recommendations.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

rab3rd wrote:1850 + 175 delivery
Outback Kayaks is quoting most people a prepaid price $2177.62 (includes tax and a shipping charge o $175.00) delivered to there place of business in Hitchcock. I've heard some inconsistency in local pricing as low as a $100 less for recent prepaid orders and delivery estimates are not guaranteed. A few shipping damaged skiffs have shown up at stores so once they get some of the distribution kinks worked out hopefully pricing and availability will stabilize. Production is in full swing and the retail channel can expect to see close to a hundred boats within the next couple of weeks.
rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Forever Fishing wrote:
rab3rd wrote:1850 + 175 delivery
Outback Kayaks is quoting most people a prepaid price $2177.62 (includes tax and a shipping charge o $175.00) delivered to there place of business in Hitchcock. I've heard some inconsistency in local pricing as low as a $100 less for recent prepaid orders and delivery estimates are not guaranteed. A few shipping damaged skiffs have shown up at stores so once they get some of the distribution kinks worked out hopefully pricing and availability will stabilize. Production is in full swing and the retail channel can expect to see close to a hundred boats within the next couple of weeks.

With tax, thats what I paid to the penny.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/sgd/5154829027.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is what they are going for closer to their home.

FYI. I have no relation to this ad.
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

I have not been able to find a 4-6hp 4stroke under 50lbs. The only outboad that would meet the under 50lbs weight limit is a 3.5hp which is about 41lbs.
Fishstory

Post by Fishstory »

Tohatsu 5/6 is the same motor with different carburetors. What boggles me is that the boat is of new design, if rated for a 5HP motor then it should at least be rated for the weight of a current 5HP motor which would be 60 LBS max for nearly all manufacturers. Just my two cents. If you put a rating of 50 lbs, then your limited to the 3.5HP. I chose to go with the larger motor at 57 lbs which is the 4/5/6 motors all built on the same block.
Last edited by Fishstory on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Is there a milkcrate that fits between the seat and transom?
Fishstory

Post by Fishstory »

I have been trying to figure out the crate thing as well. Ill be using the Tohatsu 3.1 gallon tank, trying to figure out how to use the rear portion of the boat to mount rods, tackle boxes and such. All of my ideas in my head have lead to the fact that rear mounted rack may get in the way while poling. Wondering if any of the three guys that picked up there boats have figured out anything that works well.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

We all have the fiberglass Solos but in this picture you can see a couple of options that the guys use for rods and coolers.

A rod holder mounted using suction cups. I don't know if a suction cup will stick to the plastic ones.

A cooler mounted to the front deck with a rod holder screwed to the top of the cooler.

I just lay 2 fly rods in the floor of mine.
4 solos 008.JPG
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Where can I get that black bag with rod holders?
Attachments
image.jpg
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

I've found that the rear mounted Scotty triple mount works well but does impede poling when making a hard right turn. A 16' push pole would also work better than the 14 currently in use.

Not pictured is a medium sized soft cooler that fits right next to the crate (black pack) be hind the seat
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Is anyone running an external gas tank on their soloskiff? I'm buying a used outboard. The outboard only has an external gas tank.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

I know I wouldn't like an external tank. Just one more thing on the deck to worry about.

Is what you are buying an external tank only? Just my 2 cents but I think I would keep looking if it is external tank only.

I keep a 1 gal plastic can of gas in the storage compartment for back up but mine with go 6 miles on a quart of gas. 3.5 tohatsu.

John
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

GoDoe wrote:I know I wouldn't like an external tank. Just one more thing on the deck to worry about.

Is what you are buying an external tank only? Just my 2 cents but I think I would keep looking if it is external tank only.

I keep a 1 gal plastic can of gas in the storage compartment for back up but mine with go 6 miles on a quart of gas. 3.5 tohatsu.

John
The outboard I'm looking at is external tank only. I'm undecided on getting the motor. Its nice to have a tank with extra fuel, but its a hassle to lug that tank around. I prob wouldnt put more than 1gallon in that 3.5gallon tank.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Can you buy, or convert, a one/two gallon tank to fit?
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

richg99 wrote:Can you buy, or convert, a one/two gallon tank to fit?
I tried looking for a 1 gallon gas tank. No luck. Smallest ive found so far is 3.5 gallons.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

No Spill LLC 1415 No Spill Gas Can-1.25 GAL GAS CAN

http://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Spill-LLC1 ... N/38473987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might have to do some adaptation from parts of a regular gas tank...but??
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

I've been using the MSR 30oz fuel bottles for about 2 years and they work great. They slide into the hatch connected to a lanyard in series towards the back of the boat. Also attached is a small funnel because spilling fuel all over the engine/boat/water is not good. Carrying 3 fuel bottles and starting each trip with a full tank the range estimate is about 35 miles with the 6hp. If I can't find fish within that range I need to find another hobby or another place to launch.

MSR Fuel Bottle
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

Forever Fishing wrote:I've been using the MSR 30oz fuel bottles for about 2 years and they work great. They slide into the hatch connected to a lanyard in series towards the back of the boat. Also attached is a small funnel because spilling fuel all over the engine/boat/water is not good. Carrying 3 fuel bottles and starting each trip with a full tank the range estimate is about 35 miles with the 6hp. If I can't find fish within that range I need to find another hobby or another place to launch.

MSR Fuel Bottle
I originally wanted an internal tank. I was offered a 6hp with NO internal tank for a really good price. This is the only reason I would go with an external tank only.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

tw1nny03 wrote:I originally wanted an internal tank. I was offered a 6hp with NO internal tank for a really good price. This is the only reason I would go with an external tank only.
The biggest challenge I've had rigging my Solo Skiff is finding a way to store all the gear. Everyone is different and innovation is only limited by ourselves. Let us know how it goes.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

"storing all the gear"

Kind of like going from a full-size flats boat to a kayak.

Do I really need four/five/six rods?
Do I really need four tackle boxes?
Do I really need a net?
Do I really need a back-up paddle?
Do I really need two different sized anchors?
Dp I really need two ( or more ) GPS/FishFinders?
and on and on and on...

Ha Ha richg99

Ha Ha
rab3rd

Post by rab3rd »

Forever Fishing wrote:I've been using the MSR 30oz fuel bottles for about 2 years and they work great. They slide into the hatch connected to a lanyard in series towards the back of the boat. Also attached is a small funnel because spilling fuel all over the engine/boat/water is not good. Carrying 3 fuel bottles and starting each trip with a full tank the range estimate is about 35 miles with the 6hp. If I can't find fish within that range I need to find another hobby or another place to launch.

MSR Fuel Bottle

Great idea! I just picked up the Tohatsu 4hp, (because the 5hp didn't have a internal tank and 6hp is over the solo skiff rating) and these new gas cans are a PIA with all the EPA "safety" designs. The MSR fuel can and a funnel is a perfect solution. Thanks
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Soloskiff for sale...

Might be of interest to some...

http://www.microskiff.com/threads/solo- ... ler.34676/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

richg99
Copperspoonfly

Post by Copperspoonfly »

I have had tons of problems with my tohatsu outboard that I put on my soloskiff. Half of the time, I am pulling my arm out trying to get it to start. I am going to return it to Cabellas. I probably just got a lemon, but after this experience I am thinking about switching over to Suzuki to another brand. Does anyone know of other small outboards that are light and have a internal gas tank?
creekstone

Post by creekstone »

Copperspoonfly wrote:I have had tons of problems with my tohatsu outboard that I put on my soloskiff. Half of the time, I am pulling my arm out trying to get it to start. I am going to return it to Cabellas. I probably just got a lemon, but after this experience I am thinking about switching over to Suzuki to another brand. Does anyone know of other small outboards that are light and have a internal gas tank?
I don't know for a fact, but I've read that Tohatsu makes the small outboards for many brands, specifically Suzuki and Mercury.