I also said I would never do this!

Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

I also said I would never do this!

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Wellll, you know what, I did!
I saw Mikes set up and I had been beating around the idea for some time. I had all the pieces like the old 29# thrust Motor Guide I'd had for about 20 years or so. and I'd picked up a long arm from Walmart a while back and figured it might come in handy some day, and the Commander was already set up with a transom so why not?
It's pretty basic in that the steering is just a 5' piece of pvc hooked to the TM arm by a carbiner and I use a pvc T inserted into the flush mounted rod holder to support the steering arm just behind the seat on the right side, and then I took the control head off the TM, cut the shaft by about eight inches and lengthened the wires by about six feet and the control head now rest on the floor under my seat.
I have all the forward and reverse speeds and the manual hand steering which the trolling motor comes off as one unit, and the steering arm comes off by unclipping the carabiner at the short arm at the motor.
Battery will be behind the seat under the captains perch and will be a 35 ah wheel chair battery that weighs about 24#.
Mike said the registration process is painless so that's the next step.
Hope to be out on the water soon and give Harry a run for his money! :lol:
Right now I feel just a little bit dirty, but I think I'll get over it! :D
Remus

Re: I also said I would never do this!

Post by Remus »

I have some competition now!

Have you been on the water yet to try it out?

Remus
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Remus wrote:I have some competition now!

Have you been on the water yet to try it out?

Remus
Not yet! Haven't even tried to register it yet, just have too much going on and I've kind of lost the desire to get out when it's been so humid and hot.
Remus

Post by Remus »

I recuperating from a small surgery on my left hand and waiting for the weather to cool off before getting back on the water.

HR
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

I was out again Saturday evening. Had just enough time to troll to the dam buoys and back with dual poles with rattletraps. No takers. It was nice to just set and steer. Ended up at the launch nite fisin till 2am. No bites. I fish using my kayaks rod holders where Harry launches. I kayak out and drop lines. Ive caught some big cats in the past but no bites that nite. Bunch of young kids from Bandera paddled to the rocks and fished for reds. Nice bunch. Talked with one for a bit. They had no luck either. Bait is scarce in daytime, but jus before I left I cast my net and bingo I caught a bunch of talapia about 3". That blows my theory that the talapia didn't spawn this year cause of weather. I don't know if I'm getting old or wut but I'm like Jimbo. jus can't get motivated in this heat. Hopefully fall will kick the fishin up. Let us know Jimbo how ur rig works. Looks good.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Nice report. I'm just as unmotivated due to the heat and lack of free time during the weekend. Hopefully soon I'll be back at the lake meanwhile I'm hitting the gym and riding the stationary bike to get my get legs in shape to keep up with all of these motorized kayaks.

Remus
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Thanks for the report Mike!
That is really hard to believe you had lines out all that time and didn't have a bite.
Doesn't seem to be the Calaveras of old that's for sure!
I haven't had my kayak out to try it out and just have too much going on, plus the heat, but I'm confident it will work fine when I do get out to the lake. May have to tweek it a little, but it should work. I'm thinking of doing a couple things (mounting the control head to a rail near the seat) before the maiden voyage anyway so when that happens I don't know? :?
Keep the reports coming guys!
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Remus wrote:Nice report. I'm just as unmotivated due to the heat and lack of free time during the weekend. Hopefully soon I'll be back at the lake meanwhile I'm hitting the gym and riding the stationary bike to get my get legs in shape to keep up with all of these motorized kayaks.

Remus
We might have to call you Auenuld instead of Harry! :lol:
That's okay Harry, because when our batteries die someone is going to have to tow us back to the launch! :lol: :clap:
Remus

Post by Remus »

The Governator...
holdem

Post by holdem »

Electric hootus shuts in ??

Please let me quit looking at Torqeedo drives for my Hobie ! :monkey:
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

holdem wrote:Electric hootus shuts in ??

Please let me quit looking at Torqeedo drives for my Hobie ! :monkey:
Check this one out Mike! Lot cheaper than the Torquedo!

I think this is the size Water Snake Trolling motor he used in the video!

http://www.amazon.com/Watersnake-Transo ... ms?ie=UTF8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHjteqNflS4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

There ya go Mike. All we need is a dozen of us old guys to mount trolling motors on our yaks and we can be the Dirty Dozen :lol: Thanks Jim. When I need a saltwater trolling motor I will know where to get one. I was curious how long a Minn Kota C2 would last in saltwater. Post up if anyone has tried.
Thanks