Werner paddles?

John_B_1

Werner paddles?

Post by John_B_1 »

I'm making the jump to a better paddle, I have a 12' Jackson cuda and paddle only from the high position. I think I've got them figured out, correct me if I'm wrong.....
Werner Shuna Hooked
250 or 240 cm?
A 220cm has a claimed wait of just under 28oz so a 250 should be 30oz?
Coastal fishing primarily
What I'm looking for with this paddle is a good amount of power, is this going to do the job or should I look at something else?
I have a Carlisle paddle now, and will probably give it away on here to someone just getting into kayaking. It has served its purpose and done me well, I just think it's time to upgrade.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Werner paddles?

Post by gonefishin »

If you are over 6'1" and mostly fish with your seat in the high position or standing up then the 250cm should work fine. If you are under 6' then you may want to go with the 240 cm. The 240 will be more of an all around paddle and won't wear out your shoulders, but like said if you are a taller guy and like to fish higher up then you shouldn't have a problem with the 250cm. I have the Camano all carbon and love it. You can't beat the lighter weight paddles and paddling with a properly weighted and fit paddle will help your boat to track better also. :D
Last edited by gonefishin on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

go to the Werner fit guide and see what paddle length you should really be using.
http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oops nevermind - they don't do fit there any more - only blade styles - I guess maybe it's about varying seat heights

I just can't imagine the need for a 240+mm high angle paddle in coast fishing - my daughter uses a 210 Shuna.
I'm 6'3" and use a 220mm Camano low angle paddle on my Tarpon (admittedly sit low narrow boat)
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Ron Mc wrote:go to the Werner fit guide and see what paddle length you should really be using.
http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oops nevermind - they don't do fit there any more - only blade styles - I guess maybe it's about varying seat heights

I just can't imagine the need for a 240+mm high angle paddle in coast fishing - my daughter uses a 210 Shuna.
I'm 6'3" and use a 220mm Camano low angle paddle on my Tarpon (admittedly sit low narrow boat)
They still have the fit guide on the Werner site RonMc, I believe you have to pick your sport and paddling style before it gives the fit guide but it's where I got my specs. :D
John_B_1

Post by John_B_1 »

Ron Mc wrote:go to the Werner fit guide and see what paddle length you should really be using.

Thanks, it appears the paddle I am looking at is correct for my style of fishing, seated in the high position it says the 240 for my size. You know I have been drooling over a new paddle and have looked at a lot of sites just never saw this sizing chart.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I would stick with it rather than the 250, then. They size me for 230, but I'm all limbs and sit short for my height, so the 220 is al dente
You want the shortest length that will fit you right to limit torsion on your joints with a long day of paddling.
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

John_B_1 wrote:I'm making the jump to a better paddle, I have a 12' Jackson cuda and paddle only from the high position. I think I've got them figured out, correct me if I'm wrong.....
Werner Shuna Hooked
250 or 240 cm?
A 220cm has a claimed wait of just under 28oz so a 250 should be 30oz?
Coastal fishing primarily
What I'm looking for with this paddle is a good amount of power, is this going to do the job or should I look at something else?
I have a Carlisle paddle now, and will probably give it away on here to someone just getting into kayaking. It has served its purpose and done me well, I just think it's time to upgrade.
for what it is worth, I have a Jackson Big Tuna and I use the Werner Shuna Hooked in the 250cm for the rear and solo seating positions. I was told to get the person in front a 240cm paddle.

all the size issues questions aside, I love my paddle. I nearly went with the Bending Branches Angler Pro but I really how tight the Werner's lock up and there is not the hug knob sticking out of the shaft of the paddle.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

I'm 5'2" and was sized for my 1st Werner Camano by James @ Southwest Paddle Sports. 230 cm. I also have short arms and thought about getting a 240 cm for my Slayer but since I got the Cuda, it seems I am a little lower in the boat and the 230 cm works fine. Fit guide only fits me for a 230 cm anyway.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

curious, I'm 6'3" and 220 Camano is perfect with my tarpon
Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

The difference between a 230cm and a 240cm is about 4"... Why not cut 4" of it off... The joint will be slightly offset... what is the net effect of doing that...?
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Ron Mc wrote:curious, I'm 6'3" and 220 Camano is perfect with my tarpon
I am sure your arms are a lot longer than mine and your yak is narrower. My kayaks are both 31". :D
pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I have the Warner Camano and love it. It is really hard to spend a ton of money on a paddle. Fishing gear, lures, beer - all a lot more fun to purchase.

But, I'll tell you - buy once, cry once. All of my buddies are on their 2nd or 3rd $90 paddle.

Plus a little math:

Paddling for 4 hours at a slow 1 stroke per sec = 14,400 strokes

Weight difference of a conservative 3oz = 14,400 x 3oz = 2,700 lbs

...there - now your purchase is justified.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

pearlbeer wrote:I have the Warner Camano and love it. It is really hard to spend a ton of money on a paddle. Fishing gear, lures, beer - all a lot more fun to purchase.

But, I'll tell you - buy once, cry once. All of my buddies are on their 2nd or 3rd $90 paddle.

Plus a little math:

A big difference between my old Carlisle paddle I bought for $30 when I got my 1st. kayak and my Werner Camanos I use now. Plus the lower weight will also help the paddler make better strokes and as a result a little better tracking. Mr Bill, I don't know why you want to cut a paddle down :? Just buy the right sized paddle and the lightest weight you can afford. Use the fit guide on the Werner site. I have no desire to take a saw blade to an expensive paddle :?
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

pearlbeer wrote:I have the Warner Camano and love it. It is really hard to spend a ton of money on a paddle. Fishing gear, lures, beer - all a lot more fun to purchase.

Plus a little math:

I always thought that type of analysis was a little suspicious. It looks good, saving 2,700 lbs over 4 hours. But that is such a tiny amount compared to the total weight or mass you’re moving.

Figure 70 lbs of kayak and gear and a 200 lb person, or 270 lbs. With each stroke you’re pushing 270 lbs, so:

270 lbs x 14,400 strokes = 3,780,000 lbs over that time period.

2,700/3,780,000 = 0.07% of the weight

Even assuming you’re not pushing the full 270 lbs with each stroke due to some momentum, I bet the 3 ounces saved on a lighter paddle would still be tiny fraction of the overall weight being propelled.

I’m all for a lighter paddle, I just think the commonly cited example is flawed.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you don't have to do any math - just pick one up (it not just the weight, it's the blade designs)
After my daughter got big, I honestly couldn't keep up with her Shuna using my A/T glass paddle.
Now with my Camano, I can blow her away.