New Hobie Oasis

DEW

New Hobie Oasis

Post by DEW »

Well I finally joined the plastic navy.
I just got a Hobie Oasis tandem for the girlfriend and I.
I hopr the tandem was the right decision. I might get another Outback later. anyway we figured this would be a good start.

Now how should I set this up?
timthetoolman

Re: New Hobie Oasis

Post by timthetoolman »

You're thinking right...you may be getting an outback for both of you if it goes good but she can try it out now with you to see if she likes it.

You may have to take it out a couple times to see what you want for rigging. It varies from person to person.
It will also depend on what you'll be doing. If you're fishing I'd get a rod holder and go fish. Then you'll figure out what you want.

As far as the PFD I like the Stohlquist fishing PFD for about $100. It's comfortable and has lots of storage.
Get a whistle to clip on yoir PFD and a white light on a pole for the back for night use and you're at least legal.
Mounting the light pole can be on a milk crate or a cooler but is required at night. See the TPWD website for requirements.

Good luck and have fun.

Tim
DEW

Post by DEW »

What type of shoes if any do you guys wear on the kayaks?
timthetoolman

Post by timthetoolman »

Columbia water shoes
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Teva or Keen Water Sandals. I get the closed toe on the sandals. They are cooler and still protect your feet from shell.
PFD for your girlfriend look at MTI Mona Lisa or Moxie. The most comfortable vest I have ever worn. Thin foam front and back, so less Bulky and made for women. For yourself, you would probably like the MTI Voyager with extra pockets and high back or the Challenger Fishing Vest. Try on several and sit in the kayak seats with them to make sure they will be comfortable for paddling. Good Luck and good fishing.