Back in the Yak

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Back in the Yak

Post by Aggroman »

I posted this in Freshwater, but here it is for the WTx crew....

I had a few film projects I needed to continue to work on, so I loaded up a ton of camera gear, threw in a few rods and my ol' faithful fly rod, and headed to the river. I haven't been able to get the yak out in a while because of the bad weather on my days off. But today was different.

The weather started out very nice when I hit the water at 7am. The wind even took a break for about an hour. I only had until noon, so I knew I was going to have to move it. I needed to get some video shot, but I also needed to fish. So I did a little bit of both.

The intense weather Texas has been having has really taken it's toll on a ton things. Although we had it pretty easy around here. We had major floods, but the rain hit in the areas that it would feed the empty lakes and not cause any loss of life or destruction. This particular river, just 20 miles south of town, didn't get much of a rise, but the storms tore the place up.

The normal passageways were blocked in many areas by fallen trees. They had always been easily accessible to the adventurous sort. Maybe a little pushing, pulling, shoving, falling, cussing, but nothing too major. It was a little different today. Trees had made one area impassable and for the first time ever in that stretch...a portage was in order. Not fun. I normally don't even have get out of the yak in this area.

Time flew by, as I figured it would when i'm having a good time. Doesn't do that at work by golly, now does it? I was able to get some good video and caught a few fish. The water was still very murky and the big dudes were a little closed mouth. But the little guys wanted to play all morning. Good thing I had the fly rod or I would have been skunked.

My favorite way to fish? ...wacky, like me.

I came across one thing, that for a second, got my blood boiling. From a distance I saw a pole and wires going across the river. "Somebody's trying to keep me off 'their' river. We'll see about that." But as I got closer I noticed the pole was driven down in the middle of the river, with another on the bank. It was only halfway across. And it had some kind of very thin netting stretching down it from a foot above the water to about seven feet high. No idea what it was for, although it did catch a dragonfly the size of my hand. Weird, but I moved on.

Here's a pic of it. Not easy to see, that netting was super thin. The pole is there in the middle.

Just another great day on the river. Hopefully i'll get another day off soon. I'm already wanting to get back out there.

Thanks for coming along,
Scott
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Back in the Yak

Post by texnomad »

That net sounds like something a game warden might like to know about.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Was the net anywhere near Dan Brown's place?
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I'm pretty sure. It's about 300 yards down river of the dam. Only reason that struck me odd was how far in the ground that pole was. That took some doing to get it in like that. I thought it might be for research reasons. Kinda like when you used to drive down the road and see those containers near the crops for the boll weevils. I have no idea though. It wasn't for the fish since it was a foot above the water. Unless it was for Asian Carp. :D
MWS65

Post by MWS65 »

Might be for the Hummingbird for research since that is right below Dans place. That and I could never figure out what the poles were for that went up about two years ago starting at the bottom of the pool and going up just past the dam. If you look on the
east side there are poles just off the waters edge and the 15 - 20 yards farther up the bank.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

For the curious.... I found my answer to the netting. I decided to hollar at the folks at the Hummer House since I thought it was their ranch. It is the ranches, and it's used to collect hummingbirds for banding. Pretty cool deal. http://www.hummerhouse.com/articles/vie ... c70abbf899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weird side note: on the link above, I was watching the slideshow at the bottom of it's page then all the sudden I saw a girl I recognized. "hey, that's my daughter" :lol: It was from a tour a few years ago I guess, she looked so little.