A new river

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

A new river

Post by bowgarguide »

The Brazos in my part of the country is running at 40,000 cu ft a sec ,that is higher than anytime in the last 12 years. It needed the flushing.
I havent posted much in the last couple years ,the river has been so low and the moss made it unfishable, you couldnt camp because all the sand and gravel bars were grown up so bad.
When the water goes back down it will have a ton of sandbars and gravel bars to camp on ,no moss, and this will be a new river to explore.
Ron
May be time for another river trip for the rats.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Re: A new river

Post by Firefly49 »

Oh, wow....... it's been a long time since doing the Brazos!! I'm in (though not too fond of lining the yaks below the dam, lol!!!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sounds good! And all this rain isn't my fault this time, because I haven't been camping in ages! :) Although maybe just the thought of me going camping brought all this rain.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Glad to see you posting. I was getting worried you might have moved out of Texas to say New Jersey or some place like that.

Yep, the mighty Brazos is rolling from head to toe right now. I have a brother who lives downstream in Lake Jackson and they are preparing for the river to flood the town. Some old timers remember the Brazos and Colorado merging from the big flood of 1913. Was said they merged south of what is now I10 and flowed across the low lands to the Gulf and the Brazos changed course somewhere by 6 miles after the water went down.

Sure hope is does clean it out a bit. All that stuff goes to the mouth and then spreads out along the beaches for miles. I should be passing by the MOB sometime next week, will be interesting.

Maybe sometime this winter I can get down there and fish with you some weekend.

SYOTW,

Earl
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I'm in lets do it again on one of the hottest weekend we have :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Earl wrote:Glad to see you posting. I was getting worried you might have moved out of Texas to say New Jersey or some place like that.

Yep, the mighty Brazos is rolling from head to toe right now. I have a brother who lives downstream in Lake Jackson and they are preparing for the river to flood the town. Some old timers remember the Brazos and Colorado merging from the big flood of 1913. Was said they merged south of what is now I10 and flowed across the low lands to the Gulf and the Brazos changed course somewhere by 6 miles after the water went down.

Sure hope is does clean it out a bit. All that stuff goes to the mouth and then spreads out along the beaches for miles. I should be passing by the MOB sometime next week, will be interesting.

Maybe sometime this winter I can get down there and fish with you some weekend.

SYOTW,
Im surprised your not out there in that fast water Earl..... :lol: :lol:
Earl
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Yea it has been awhile Firefly, I guess it is time to see you do your dance when a 100 lb gar starts flopping when you are trying to take a pic .LOL
Rod
Nope rain isnt your fault this time. What would you think about going up river this time,not all the way to the island but close? Then just an easy downstream paddle when your tired and leaving.
Earl
NJ man wash out your mouth. Lol
I hope you can come down and fish and camp with us.
Your brother lives in an area I was raised in. Jones Creek and Freeport.
Larry hot is good lol
Ron
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Upriver sounds good to me, I did paddle up to that island and camp one time, but as long as there is a place we can pitch a tent, it sounds good.

Upriver against the floodwater current from all this rain my be a workout :). I have gained too much weight and *need* the workout of a good paddle, just don't have much strength/endurance, trying to work on that.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Rod
The river want be like it is now ,it will be down before I go.
Ron
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

O-ooooo!!! I LIKE the idea of upriver!! lol I guarantee I won't ever take my loaded down Queen Mary downstream again! More like I'll go minimalistic and take the 46# Srchr. Hey! It was my first time up close and friendly with a gar..... he coulda' been a little more friendly back!
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

Well, not sure when you left the Jones Creek area but we might have been neighbors. I grew up out on Bryan Beach and graduated Brazosport High in 1982. My father owned a muffler shop on Plantation Dr in Lake Jackson from 1975 until ~ 1988.

Earl
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

What would you think about going up river this time,not all the way to the island but close? Then just an easy downstream paddle when your tired and leaving.
Ron,

Up river starting where, The Falls or Highway 7 bridge?

The Brazos in Waco was running 19,000 cfs a couple of days ago after the last rain when we got 4 to 7 inches. Today, it's dropped to 7,750. It will be a while before its around 2,000.

As far as changing the rivers, I read the other day that they estimated 3 trillion gallons of water had run down the rivers of Texas to the Gulf after the rains. I don't know how much went down the Brazos, but it would be a bunch since its one of the larger ones, and it has certainly been rolling through Waco. I've seen it a whole lot higher, but after years of pretty dry weather, this was needed and nice.

Ray