Martin Dies Jr State Park- Input Appreciated!

mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Martin Dies Jr State Park- Input Appreciated!

Post by mwrose777 »

Morning,

I just booked a couple campsites for some friends and myself at Martin Dies Jr State Park for the last weekend in April. Never been there, but it's one of the few State Parks I could find an opening at. I read some reviews on trip advisor and they were all good, but none really had anything to say about fishing.

Does anybody have any pointers they don't mind sharing? I mostly fly fish these days, but I'm the only one in the group who does so. Any input on fishing, or the park in general (paddling included) is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Martin Dies Jr State Park- Input Appreciated!

Post by Phishtech »

mwrose777 wrote:Morning,

I just booked a couple campsites for some friends and myself at Martin Dies Jr State Park for the last weekend in April. Never been there, but it's one of the few State Parks I could find an opening at. I read some reviews on trip advisor and they were all good, but none really had anything to say about fishing.

Does anybody have any pointers they don't mind sharing? I mostly fly fish these days, but I'm the only one in the group who does so. Any input on fishing, or the park in general (paddling included) is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Been there and loved it. Be sure and take your kayaks and fishing gear. Lots of water to use and the fishing has always been good. Really good scenery, it's large, and the camp sites we've stayed on are also large.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Phishtech wrote:
mwrose777 wrote:Morning,

Been there and loved it. Be sure and take your kayaks and fishing gear. Lots of water to use and the fishing has always been good. Really good scenery, it's large, and the camp sites we've stayed on are also large.
That's what I like to hear! I'm the only one of the group with a yak, what are the rentals like? I can probably talk a few of them into rentals.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

They have cabins for rent but they prolly have to be reserved well in advance. If you're gonna do that better get on it.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Phishtech wrote:They have cabins for rent but they prolly have to be reserved well in advance. If you're gonna do that better get on it.
I booked a couple screened shelters for our group. Probably try a cabin next time. Thanks for the tips though.
YaknFly

Post by YaknFly »

I was there two weeks ago. I didn't catch any fish, but also was unable to get in a boat. The camp sites are great! I would bring plenty of bug spray, and your own boat. They have canoe rentals, but the park wouldn't let them out due to high-wind advisory. Even though we wanted to stay in the slough!
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

YaknFly wrote:I was there two weeks ago. I didn't catch any fish, but also was unable to get in a boat. The camp sites are great! I would bring plenty of bug spray, and your own boat. They have canoe rentals, but the park wouldn't let them out due to high-wind advisory. Even though we wanted to stay in the slough!
Thanks for the tips.

I've found very little info online in regards to fishing the lake. Almost nothing. So I guess I'll just wing it.
vstrom650

Post by vstrom650 »

I've been there twice with my family. The cabins are small but nice - screened porch and A/C with 4 bunk style beds. But you gotta reserve way in advance.

The park is split into two sections, I've stayed on both sides. Didn't have much luck fishing, but lots of fun alligator watching. Lots of gators (this was several years back). Had one right by the boat launch. Me and the kids fished off the small dock there and every time they'd cast out the young gator would come looking. Also had one come check out the canoe after dark, although it didn't come out of the water that I could see. Also lots of raccoons, so keep your food locked up!

There's lots of underwater structure, river, lake, and swamp to choose from. Would like to go back now that I have kayaks.
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Pretty much the same info I can find online. Lots of scenery but not much as far as fishing goes. Hopefully atleast the catfish or sunfish will be there.
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

Lots of gators...I always camp on the North side of the park, seems more secluded and closer to the kayak trails and I usually get a screen shelter, # 10 and # 16 I think are the best with kayaks that have good access to the water and there are lots of water front regular camping spots. it is one my favorites for camping as it don't seem to be near as crowded. I have never done very well fishing there though
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Thanks for the input. Really looking forward to the trip, just wish the fishing sounded more promising.