Looking for a good lake to catch catfish and camp.

Flyfisher87

Looking for a good lake to catch catfish and camp.

Post by Flyfisher87 »

I have a vacation coming up trying to plan a trip to a lake with quality fishing for catfish. A place where I can set up a tent with a nice campground. Any advice would be appreciated.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Looking for a good lake to catch catfish and camp.

Post by texnomad »

The best lake for large catfish that I know about is [http://www.nps.gov/amis/index.htm*]Amistad. Six national park campgrounds out there.
wizard7889

Post by wizard7889 »

braunig lake is not bad in San Antonio.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

Lake Conroe & the Sam Houston National forrest. Beautiful, excellent cat fishing and free primitive camping. Google for more information and good luck.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

wizard7889 wrote:braunig lake is not bad in San Antonio.
Limited shoreline and having to battle the locals for prime spots, aka dead tree point. :roll:
+1 for Amistad.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Forever Fishing wrote:Lake Conroe & the Sam Houston National forrest. Beautiful, excellent cat fishing and free primitive camping. Google for more information and good luck.
Sounds good! :wink:
jtzilla

Post by jtzilla »

Jimbo_47 wrote:
Forever Fishing wrote:Lake Conroe & the Sam Houston National forrest. Beautiful, excellent cat fishing and free primitive camping. Google for more information and good luck.
Sounds good! :wink:
lake conroe is loaded with cats, you cant help but catch them, youll pull some nice ones too, from all over the lake and good camping areas too.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I can second this .... Went to the Stubblefield recreational area in the Sam Houston national forest last year with some friends & our kids ranging from 8-16. We had a blast.

Nice campground (Bring your own firewood) its largely unused unlike neighboring Huntsville state park.

Very little boat traffic and no big boats flying around the place .... just the random flat bottom boat idling along & kayakers.

Great fishing - We caught more than I can count between three adults & a pack of kids. We threw back more than we kept and each of the adults took home 20lbs+ of filets not to mention the fish fry we had the second night that fed practically the entire camp.
I've got some pictures from the trip somewhere .... including a shot of my daughter & two blue cats bigger than her and another dozen or so ranging between 12-60lbs. We threw back anything below 5 and above about 15lbs.

Throw them back , I'm sick of cleaning them.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/texas/re ... 0&actid=29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Lake Waco:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/outdoors ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bkaspar3

Post by bkaspar3 »

There's an LCRA park called Muleshoe Bend that is a great place to camp and has lots of fish concentrated in a little cove as the water warms up. It's on Lake Travis in Spicewood, TX.
LMDshadow

Post by LMDshadow »

Not sure what part of Texas you're in or looking to travel to, but Lake Texoma has some of the biggest catfish in the country. More catfish state records have come from this lake then all other Texas lakes combined. There are campgrounds all around the lake that will handle everything from a small tent to the biggest motor home they make. It is also home to some of the best inland striper fishing in the South.