Mono vs braided line

upthecreek

Mono vs braided line

Post by upthecreek »

I have always used mono line and was wondering if braided works well on a spinning reel and a bait casting reel as far as ease of use and back lash problems. Does braided line have any advantages over mono other than strength and line capacity ?

Thanks
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Mono vs braided line

Post by texnomad »

No stretch and much better sensitivity to what is happening at the end of the line.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I tried braid for the first time this year on my standard 2 spinning reels and 1 baitcaster. You'll want a mono or some type of backing. I like the braid with a fluorocarbon leader. I can't cast quite as far as with mono, though. Sufix fluoro was better than Berkley fluoro for me, limper, easier to tie, and it cast further.
upthecreek

Post by upthecreek »

Thanks for the feedback guys . May give it a try next time I load a reel up.
aggie13_03

Post by aggie13_03 »

I switched to braid a few years ago and love it. I use Power Pro but also like Fin's. I would stay away from Spyder Wire, it did not work well with my spinning reel.
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

Braid! Once you've tried braid and get used to it, you'll never go back (I didnt). Easier to get out a backlash and the sensitivity is 2nd to none. Just make sure that it's spooled on SUPER tight and yes a leader will help with snags and lure activity. I use a 20/20, 20# braid with 20# mono (30-40") with an alberto knot.
Spectre5922

Post by Spectre5922 »

The other advantage of braid is that, because it is so much thinner for the same test strength, you get a lot more line with the same test strength.
Flatire67

Post by Flatire67 »

I tried Spider Wire when it first came out and am now using PowerPro on all my reels. There is a lot I like about it, more line on the spool, less stretch when setting hooks, strength, and casting. It can be hard on your guides, works best when wound tight on your spools, will cut you quickly, and isn't very abrasion friendly. Many use a mono or fluoro leader to tie to which works fine. I tie directly to the braid most of the time (i don't like the knot in the line). If I am using a sliding weight then I will run a fluorocarbon leader and will occasionally use a leader when fishing areas with lots of concrete/rocks.
KCPO

Post by KCPO »

lurejunkee wrote:Braid! Once you've tried braid and get used to it, you'll never go back (I didnt). Easier to get out a backlash and the sensitivity is 2nd to none. Just make sure that it's spooled on SUPER tight and yes a leader will help with snags and lure activity. I use a 20/20, 20# braid with 20# mono (30-40") with an alberto knot.
Easier to get out a backlash? I've always been worried to put it on a baitcast reel because I assumed it would knot up like crazy if I backlashed. It's great on my spinning reel though. I use a fluorocarbon leader mainly so the braid doesn't get wrapped around my rod tip if I miss a fish...can be a mess at night
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

KCPO wrote:
lurejunkee wrote:Braid! Once you've tried braid and get used to it, you'll never go back (I didnt). Easier to get out a backlash and the sensitivity is 2nd to none. Just make sure that it's spooled on SUPER tight and yes a leader will help with snags and lure activity. I use a 20/20, 20# braid with 20# mono (30-40") with an alberto knot.
Easier to get out a backlash? I've always been worried to put it on a baitcast reel because I assumed it would knot up like crazy if I backlashed. It's great on my spinning reel though. I use a fluorocarbon leader mainly so the braid doesn't get wrapped around my rod tip if I miss a fish...can be a mess at night
I am just learning to use a baitcaster and based on my limited experience the backlashes I had with the mono that came with the reel were more frequent and severe than those the occurred after changing to braid. For me braid backlashes have been way easier to fix than mono. I will stick to braid with a mono leader.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

BRAID-BRAID-BRAID Use spinning reels and never get a backlash!
Hubbs

Post by Hubbs »

I switched to braided line a year or so ago. Like others have mentioned, you can get more line on your reel than mono of the same # test. What I like best about braid is when using a popin cork. Twitching the rod results in almost instant action from the cork. Another benefit is that braid doesn't have a memory like mono. When using on a bait-caster, this results in less bird-nesting. Also the sensitivity is far better than mono.

When fishing artificials, I will tie on a leader of fluorocarbon. This keeps the hooks from fouling when casting.

One thing to remember tho is not to set the hook like you would with mono or you'll just jerk the lips off the fish.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Braid all the way except for my topwater rod. And even then if I'm only fishing with one rod I'll use the braid with a flouro leader.

I have not experienced any reduction in cast distance compared to mono.

I have tried a lot of brands of braid and the 2 I'm most happy with are Suffix Performance (the 6 stand, not the 832) and FINS Windtamer.

Good brands of fluoro carbon leader (100% fluoro) are P Line, Seaguar, Ande, and Bass Pro).

Don't forget that you can use a mono leader (20 - 30lb) in the grass flats just fine. I mainly use Fluoro when I'm fishing near shallow oyster reef.
justintime

Post by justintime »

I've always used mono up until the last year or two and I would never go back to mono. I use power pro slick 8 on baitcasters as well as my spinning reels and its awesome. As long as you have the tension in a comfortable spot you will have no problem with backlash.