Best fishing yak for buffalo river

Jigman

Best fishing yak for buffalo river

Post by Jigman »

Hello i am wanting to do a float trip on the buffalo river ark in a fishing kayak and want to know what you guys recomend for that river. I have canoed the river but want to yak and fish and camp. Any ideas will be greatly appriciated. Legnth , brand any tips you may have. Thanks
DumpTruck

Re: Best fishing yak for buffalo river

Post by DumpTruck »

For a river yak, I'd choose the Jackson Coosa with the WS Ride 115 as a close second.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Re: Best fishing yak for buffalo river

Post by Firefly49 »

You didn't mention what section of the Buffalo, how many days you plan on spending on the river, (are you going now in the colder weather)?, or whether you plan on traveling minimalistic (tarp, sleeping bag, water filtration, Jetboil & freeze-dried meals.....and don't forget those just-in-case of emergency items for paddling in a wilderness stretch) --------------- or living in somewhat comfort with cooler, extra water & drinks, tent, camping gear, extra clothes, food, cooking & emergency supplies.... + fishing gear.

Our TKF groups do many multi-day river trips.... and I just did the Buffalo and White Rivers a couple months ago. Since I no longer own a SOT (and can't seem to make my own decision of which brand of 13.6-15' SOT I want next), my choice has to be one of my SINKS -- especially my WS Commander 14 which, if I choose to do so, can carry about everything but the kitchen sink nice and low profile ....and still remain stable with smooth, easy paddling whether on flat or rapids. In my opinion, I would be concerned about a multi-day trip with the shorter-under-13' SOTS with weight limits of 375-400lbs unless you're thinking minimalistic gear. I owned a Manta Ray 11.5. Load it down & top heavy despite fairly minimalistic gear.... and it was more unstable (there IS some fast water/rapids), caught wind ...and slow as molasses requiring more constant paddling (work vs. pleasure). Just my opinion............

p.s. I'm quite envious. I LOVE NW Arkansas. You'll love paddling the Buffalo!!! Have you checked out the paddling articles about the Buffalo River on paddling.net or southwestpaddler.com -- there's some good one's with lot's of inf