Where to get running lights and pole light?

FishNinja87

Where to get running lights and pole light?

Post by FishNinja87 »

Would like to add that academy sells a pack of running light led strips. 1green strip and 1 red. These last supposedly over 100,000hrs are super easy to install with just 2 screws and you can run the wires to a battery pack (sold separately) or rig them up to a switch (cost about 4$) they're pretty cheap too only 9$. However i did see a few white pole light (for a 360 degree field of view safety wise) but those were anywhere from 14-99$. Thinking it would be easier to just buy one and rug the wires from the pole and running lights to a switch. Will post pictures when finished. Would love to hear everyone's ideas and see pictures of how yall rigged your light. Thanks for reading. -FishNinja87
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Where to get running lights and pole light?

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

Dont run red/green. Boats will think you are a boat and will think you can advoid them. Just run "anchor light" aka 360 light
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

FishNinja87 wrote:Would like to add that academy sells a pack of running light led strips. 1green strip and 1 red. These last supposedly over 100,000hrs are super easy to install with just 2 screws and you can run the wires to a battery pack (sold separately) or rig them up to a switch (cost about 4$) they're pretty cheap too only 9$. However i did see a few white pole light (for a 360 degree field of view safety wise) but those were anywhere from 14-99$. Thinking it would be easier to just buy one and rug the wires from the pole and running lights to a switch. Will post pictures when finished. Would love to hear everyone's ideas and see pictures of how yall rigged your light. Thanks for reading. -FishNinja87
http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Your absolutely right. I looked up the laws again, guess i got confused. Your only required to have one light. Cool, don't have to make anymore holes in my yak. Btw thanks for that link.
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

FishNinja87 wrote:Your absolutely right. I looked up the laws again, guess i got confused. Your only required to have one light. Cool, don't have to make anymore holes in my yak. Btw thanks for that link.
Also don't overlook making your own pole with PVC man and save you some $
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Yea I saw some guy make one out of PVC, a cheap led flashlight and a toothbrush case protector. When its all done it looks like a mini light saber that's pretty bright and viewable 360*. Is there another way you like to make them? I'm all ears.
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

FishNinja87 wrote:Yea I saw some guy make one out of PVC, a cheap led flashlight and a toothbrush case protector. When its all done it looks like a mini light saber that's pretty bright and viewable 360*. Is there another way you like to make them? I'm all ears.
I have not made one yet. But I have seen these small lamps with over 60 lumens that are 360 degree lights. I'll bet it would work great. Also see a guy use a milk bottle with flashlight like the toothbrush method.
Jeaux

Post by Jeaux »

No pole needed with this one. Wear it on your hat tethered to your PFD, if you end up in the drink you still have your light with you.
Remember yours is the life the light is protecting. Navisafe 360 deg.LED light.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.77 KiB) Viewed 6993 times
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Looks like a good idea. However if rather use those 78 bucks for a kayak seat.
stryper

Post by stryper »

$65 no tax/shipping from outdoor camping sport i think, just search google.
Found a bright one at academy for -20
Jeaux

Post by Jeaux »

I hear ya. I went cheap for a while but after experiencing the crazies I decided to step it up.
Remember you have to be healthy and alive to enjoy the seat.
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Now that you mention it i did see one of those at academy. How high do you recommend to make the pole? Seems it would be pretty hard to turn in the seat to turn off the light if its too tall.
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

FishNinja87 wrote:Now that you mention it i did see one of those at academy. How high do you recommend to make the pole? Seems it would be pretty hard to turn in the seat to turn off the light if its too tall.
Just right above your head should work. 360 degrees visibility. You should be able to reach it with no issues.
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Tomkat07 wrote:
FishNinja87 wrote:Now that you mention it i did see one of those at academy. How high do you recommend to make the pole? Seems it would be pretty hard to turn in the seat to turn off the light if its too tall.
Just right above your head should work. 360 degrees visibility. You should be able to reach it with no issues.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to pick up some supplies this Friday. By the way, you wouldn't happen to know a good way to protect the hull from rocks and oysters now would you?
stryper

Post by stryper »

Dont fish in Texas?
FishNinja87

Post by FishNinja87 »

Haha.. That's not an option. Seriously though isn't there a keel guard of some kind? Preferably a metal one
Tomkat07

Post by Tomkat07 »

FishNinja87 wrote:Haha.. That's not an option. Seriously though isn't there a keel guard of some kind? Preferably a metal one
I have seen those on boats. Not sure if they would work on a yak or not. Only other thing is pay attention and don't run aground or drag it over them if at all possible. Scratches are going to happen. Even barnacles will scratch if your tied off to poles and piers.
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

I made one for about $30 (excluding deer feeder battery) and it's really bright.

I also painted it to match my kayak :lol:
Attachments
0409142019.jpg
0411142005.jpg
0411142004.jpg
jz2518

Post by jz2518 »

What type of led light did you use
herefishyfishy80

Post by herefishyfishy80 »

jz2518 wrote:What type of led light did you use
I used a 400 lumen 5360smd bulb that I purchased on superbrightlight.com

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... lamp/1666/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KCPO

Post by KCPO »

Tektite dive lights are another good option. Submersible and easily mounted to Pvc.