Post your trailer!!!!

JimM

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by JimM »

Nice. What does that cost, if you don't mind me asking?
TikiTime

Post by TikiTime »

Jim...this is the 4 space trailer. Right at $800. A 2 space is about $575. If you are in Florida..it is worth it. They are built here and sold all around the state.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

The wife and I spent some time working on our trailer... Since the PA is a little tall for the original 2nd tier, we went a little taller so it could fit under (the bottom originally designed for a T160)... Then we remembered that we had a couple hammocks that we bought on our honeymoon in Costa Rica 5 yrs back... Yup... His and hers hammocks on a kayak trailer :-)

Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

Oops... Double post...
f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf »

TikiTime wrote:My new ride. Sold last trailer. Too much steel to maintain in FL and springs were too hard. Purchased a "proper" kayak trailer - Continental brand. Amazing how much better it handles. I am thinking about adding a truck box to set in the frame to hold paddles and life jackets. Just need to make sure I maintain enough road clearance...but I think I can swing it.

Glad to hear the good review on the continental trailer. We should be picking ours up in a few weeks.
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

All ready for the 4th weekend!

aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

DarrellS wrote:Image

Started out as $25 old flat bottom trailer.
I like the idea of the worklights on the rack.
vakayakfisherman

Post by vakayakfisherman »

Thanks to everybody that posts on this forum. Although I am not currently in Texas, this forum has been a wealth of knowledge building my trailer. Just finished it last night, might add a few more items but I am happy with it.
Rob
Attachments
kayaktrailer2.JPG
Kayaktrailer1.JPG
Kayaktrailer3.JPG
JimM

Post by JimM »

NTXYakR wrote:I was completely engaged with this trailer build last week as it was truly needed. There is only so much room in the bed of a pickup, with 4 yaks/gear and all. :D I must give credit to Spiny Norman as his 'no weld' design was the inspiration for my trailer build project. Thanks!!
Very nice job. I sent you a PM.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

For the short runs
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405175590.666852.jpg
Pee Row

Post by Pee Row »

Frankentrailer did great!
DBray6

Post by DBray6 »

This is my first post. I found this site doing a search for kayak trailer ideas. I love the trailers from everyone and they all supplied me with so many ideas. After browsing the site decided on something simple. I was going to go with the elevated box idea that preacher did but when I got the base done I found that the paddles fit nicely at the base of the center supports and all of our gear with the exception of fishing rods fits in the front storage of the kayaks.

I think I will go with PVC mounted on the top of the center supports for rod storage. Any ideas on how to secure PVC to the end grain of a 2X4?
Thanks for all of the great pics and ideas.
14 - 1.jpg
994470_10152143162212610_384131620822070965_n.jpg
10410984_10152143162887610_9033898082962125086_n.jpg
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I had been carrying 1-2 kayaks on a truck bed extender and finally got a Malone MicroSport trailer with the retractable tongue, kickstand, and spare tire.

On the positive side: easy to assemble; sturdy; sealed bearings; stands up in the garage for storage and still leaves room for my truck.

On the negative side: online instructions don’t match what’s in the box; I didn’t care for the twist-on wire connectors or quick splices, so I soldered all the electrical connections. I also didn’t like just having the wires exposed and running through holes with sharp edges, so I enclosed them in wire conduit. The wiring instructions for the trailer should include instructions for wiring if you have the retractable tongue kit. I knew the wiring would change with the retractable tongue, so I ran the wires in a way that seemed more sensible.

Malone recommended their SaddleUp Pro carriers, but those did not fit the shape of my Native Ultimates, so I returned them and went with foam blocks for cushioning.
Attachments
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg
trailer1.jpg
trodery

Post by trodery »

Yes, that is aluminum diamond plate! :D
Attachments
20140924_134206_resized.jpg
20140924_134147_resized.jpg
20140924_134130_resized.jpg
trodery

Post by trodery »

The trailer has been "lifted", custom wheels, fancy LED taillights, all terrain tires, etc.
Attachments
20140924_134327_resized.jpg
20140924_134227_resized.jpg
20140924_134220_resized.jpg
photoea

Post by photoea »

Finally got mine finished!!! My goal was to make something that could carry up to 3 yaks, camping gear, take up as little space as possible in the garage, and require no welding. This is what I ended up with.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
kayaktx7
Location: NW Houston, TX Cypress Ride: 2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Perception 12

Post by kayaktx7 »

Came out pretty nice... Well done
jlozano

Post by jlozano »

photoea wrote:Finally got mine finished!!! My goal was to make something that could carry up to 3 yaks, camping gear, take up as little space as possible in the garage, and require no welding. This is what I ended up with.
Where did you get that hitch extender? I've been looking for something like that for my trailer.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

M next project will be a trailer for hauling two kayaks on soft sand of PINS.
photoea

Post by photoea »

The hitch extender came from harbor Freight.

I've also made a couple more additions/modifications to the trailer. I made a shorter tongue to use when I'm not carrying the bikes. Looks a lot better but it is easier to back-up with the longer one. I also added a rack to the front to carry an ice chest or whatever to free up a little room in my FJ. I love my truck but the big ice chest pretty much filled up the back and was too heavy to get in and out of the caged part of the trailer. Still need a spare tire and a tongue jack and it should be finished.
Attachments
Trailer 2.jpg
Bob R

Post by Bob R »

After reading this post all the way through about 6 times over about a week I think I came up with a useable trailer design for my needs. I also have an old Osagen tandem canoe that can ride on the top.

This started out as a small utility trailer. When I bought it the bed was good, but everything else was junk. I had everything besides the bed built new 10 years ago for a small trailer to tow behind my 2004 Wrangler. Traded the Wrangler for a new 2005 3/4 Ton 4X4 Dodge pickup. The trailer was then used behind my Bombarder TraksterMax 4 wheeler once in a while. Then came the Polarus Ranger, and the trailer was just setting around after that.
The heavy made fenders had broke loose from the bed at the top by now. This round after looking at all this information, I gathered up all the metal and took it to my shooting budys shop. The heavy made fenders are the only original parts to the trailer from when I originally bought it 10 years ago.
The trailer is 6 feet wide outside to outside on the racks. The bed is 42" W X 55" Long X 12" Deep. The Tongue is 8 feet long. The ammo can for strap and rope storage is 6" X 12" X 10" Deep bolted down on the inside of the bed. Never seen that size before. The cross racks are heavy gage 1" X 1" tubing with purple pool noodles zip tied on. The Frame is all heavy wall 2.5" X 2.5". The sides of the bed are 3/16" Tread Plate with the fenders welded on. I have 3 heavy Aluminum Tie Points (Horse Trailer Tie Points) front and back on the verticals. I added the tie points to tie all the kayaks and canoe in as an added safety measure.
Wheels are from a 1997 Ford 4X4 F150. I believe the Axle is a 3000 LB rated one, and it could be heavier than that. (Real Wheel Bearings)

I think it will be used a lot more now. This will also double as my kayak storage rack.

The Top Kayaks are Ascend D10's.
Center row are Perception 11.5 Tribe SOT in Lime Green and Camo.
Bottom Row are Perception 9.5 Tribe SOT in Lime Green and Camo.

It still needs a little work. I need a new set of tires all the way around, the existing ones are dry rotted. I need to finish up the wiring also.

Thank you all for all the kayak trailer ideas.

Bob
J-Dubs

Post by J-Dubs »

Here are a couple pics of my trailer. It is a 4x6 Carry-On Trailer from Lowe's. I picked it up on sale and still got to use my military discount. I did some slight modifications so that I can fold the ramp into the trailer and have it sit flat. I also picked up a 9 ft piece of steel tubing for a new tongue. 9 ft was a little longer than I needed. But better too long than too short. It also backs very easily with the long tongue. Lastly, I added the Thule XSporter that I used to have on my truck. I use the cargo box to haul by rods and stakeout pole.

I am very happy with it. It's way better than hauling the kayak on top of my slightly lifted Tacoma. I got the idea from a previous post here. Thanks for the idea.

FJCruisin

Post by FJCruisin »

photoea wrote:Finally got mine finished!!! My goal was to make something that could carry up to 3 yaks, camping gear, take up as little space as possible in the garage, and require no welding. This is what I ended up with.
Nice fj!
photoea

Post by photoea »

FJCruisin wrote:
Nice fj!

Thanks, I've wanted one since they came out and since this is supposed to be the last year they're making them I finally got one.

What year is yours?

Here's a better picture...
Attachments
FJ at Huntsville.jpg
FJCruisin

Post by FJCruisin »

photoea wrote:
FJCruisin wrote:
Nice fj!

Thanks, I've wanted one since they came out and since this is supposed to be the last year they're making them I finally got one.

What year is yours?

Here's a better picture...
Mine was an 07. Toytec, Demello, and other goodies. I have a 2014 tundra now.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1417660546508.jpg