Fly fishing Houston

DirtyTail976

Fly fishing Houston

Post by DirtyTail976 »

First off...I'm a newbie to the fly...but I'm already hooked! Took my rod to the Frio River over the 4th and had an absolute blast. I'm already planning on picking up a new 8# reel to go after redfish but I was wondering if there are any good places to go fresh water around the houston area? Steams, creeks, rivers or lakes of course.

So far, here is my prize catch from the frio.

Drmsfish

Re: Fly fishing Houston

Post by Drmsfish »

Welcome to the addiction but I have some bad news....You've already fished the Frio. There is nothing in Houston to compare so I'm very sorry, I can't help you. I suggest you either go back to the Hill Country or fish the salt :lol:
Drmsfish

Post by Drmsfish »

Spring creek around I-45 and The Woodlands can be great. There's a nice park by the big recycle center in that area. Great hiking and wading. Tributaries of the Trinity River are good in the late winter and spring but timing is everything. I'd hit the salt:-)
MacGyverberry

Post by MacGyverberry »

I'm in Friendswood myself, and am new to the fly game as well. I've heard Tom Bass in Pearland has good fishing, and I figure since most everyone throws traditional tackle maybe a fly would be a nice change with an opportunity to land some fish.

As for other bodies of water I honestly have no good recommendations. My in-laws live in Cypress and they have alot of bayous running through the neighborhoods I'm anxious to try. I know we have some down south of town as well that may be worth trying as well.
DirtyTail976

Post by DirtyTail976 »

Thanks guys. My intention is to hit the salt majority of the time, I was just looking for a different scene...after enjoying some time in the Frio I think I'm just going to have to plan a trip to Colorado!

As far as Tom Bass park, I'll have to try that out...There are a bunch of canals that run through and around Southwyck golf course that I'll need to check out but those are more after work killin time type of spot.

Thanks guys. Keep your tails dirty and fish on
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

I live in Pearland, and my quick fix goto pond is in challenger 7 park off 528 (friendswood/league city) great little pond. Good numbers of bass who eagerly take a fly, and while most of the sunfish are stunted there are some real monster sunnies in there too. I also fish independence park in Pearland and some other places in between.
flyakker

Post by flyakker »

Braes Bayou, White Oak Bayou, Buffalo Bayou, all have fish in them. There are a lot of ponds in Sugar Land (also I'm told Oyster Creek has bass), Friendswood, Pearland, Katy, Spring, all have been fished with success. I live in the loop, and will be hitting the bayous a lot. Search around, there are plenty of opportunities for throwing some flies locally. My thought was to get a saltwater, only because short of the hill country, there is no fly fishing w/o salt. Glad I have both rigs, though!