BTB but just barely?

WRsteveX

BTB but just barely?

Post by WRsteveX »

Is it even possible or advisable to go btb but not out to the rigs? I dont have the tackle or equipment to hanle the big fish out there, im just interested in catcjing trout and reds. My wife and I are experienced paddlers and have no problem in rought bay and river conditions. We were just wondering if we could take our inshore tackle and dabble out there a little ways with maybe bungee anchors and give it a whirl? Im talking right past rhe surf.

Wed be in two of our 3 yaks. A 2nd gen tarpon 160, trident 13, or cuda 12. Whichever would be best. Im thinking the tarpon and trident.

Ideas? Suggestions? Or dont do it?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: BTB but just barely?

Post by Mythman »

You can do that, and probably catch a few small fish...........but be prepared to cut your line if a 4-7 ft shark grabs your lure or a bull red decides he wants it.

Who knows, you may be enticed to by larger rods/reels/line. :wink:
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

You def can do it. When I started moving "offshore" it was that exact scenario. I had been camping/fishing pins surf for a couple years and wanted to get past the wade gut on those nice days. Now, in retrospect I caught less trout out at the third bar but got hooked on jacks, smacks, even kings while tossing speck plugs. That's when the itch to get further and further started. Then the gear starts to grow and you start chasing birds. Then you may as well and call yourself a btb guy.
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

Id be using 12-15lb mono. I would think anything too big I could just thumb the spool and pop it off? Im on track with the bungee anchor? I was thinking of just toodling around looking for birds, clumps of weed, or signs of fish. And tossing lures or small baits (finger mullet, shrimp, ect. Whatever I can either catch in a cast net or buy if I cant. ) Im guessing just paddle out right past the surf, drop an anchor with some sort of marker to mark where we came out, then travel parallel to the shore and give it a go. Im just brainstorming at this point. I havent put a whole lot of thought into it yet.
maskale

Post by maskale »

Where are you thinking about fishing? I'm new to kayaks and want to try exactly what u mention here.
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

Not sure. Im in victoris so probably whatevers close to start out. Im thinking port Aransas
dr.flatfish

Post by dr.flatfish »

15 lb mono is doable for specs and smacks but you better have a good leader cause those toothy critters will leave you with an empty line every time. As far as what's left out there be ready to be replacing a lot of hardware.
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

Forgive my ignorance but I dont know what a smack is. Im not new to fishing but ive never been btb. Not in a boat, yak, jet ski, anything. I generally use a 40 or 50lb mono leader bay fishing for trout and flounder. I realize the potential of hooking into something more than I bargaied for is greater than usual. A bull red or something slightly too large for my equipment id try to fight and land. Shark or something just way too big ill pop off. Im not as concerned about what to to in a fish on event as much I am getting out there and being able to fish comfortably and safely.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

WRsteveX.... a smack is a Spanish MACKeral. :)
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

Gotcha. I know theres alot put there I wont be able to land, but it wont be for lack of trying. I just wanna get out there and experience that pretty water and set some hooks. Maybe catch one of those STAR trout.

I think the anchor with a float to mark where I went out is a good idea so im not battling the surf with a yak if I go back in a couple hundred yards from the truck. Also curious if a 5lb mushroom anchor will hold with a bungee in line? And which two of the 3 yaks I own would be best? Im thinking the trident 13 for sure. Unclear if the t160 of cuda 14 would be better. I know a stringer is a bad idea, but im not taking my 45 yeti I usually haul in the bays and rivers so im guessing a cheap cooler for a few keepers would be best
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

In the Port Aransas area you can catch trout and reds in the surf, and you will also find ladyfish, jacks and spanish macks. The mackerel (and sharks if you find them)will cut your line as mentioned above. It can get expensive, so what most of us do is tie a few inches of wire (40lb would work for the size line you are using) between the lure and your line or hook and line. It will allow you to catch the toothy fish and the reds too. Trout might shy away from the wire, but it's the price paid to keep from losing a lot of tackle to the fish with teeth. STAR trout will require the more costly option of getting bit off by other fish until you find that big yellowmouth in a hungry mood. They probably won't be the only fish under birds - jacks and spanish are the most common culprits these days. When you hook up, all those fish are fun, so enjoy them.

If you plan to stay relatively close to shore I would recommend the wider yaks like the Cuda or Trident - they might be more comfortable while you are learning to handle the surf at the beginning. Some guys here use Tarpon 160s and really do well with them, but if you plan to learn the surf and fish the close waters there isn't really a penalty for taking the wide kayak. If a big shark swims by to check you out the extra stability is reassuring.

The first step should be taking the empty yaks in the surf and practice paddling in and out of the surf. Keep the boat moving forward as you head out and don't stop where the waves crash. Coming in is trickeir than you might think. Keep the kayak from getting too fast and riding waves and you should be alright. Most yaks will get the back end pulled out sideways by the wave face if you try to surf it, resulting in a rollover (turtle). Concentrate on keeping it perpendicular to the waves while you are in the surf zone and the rest of the trip is easy. Good luck!
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

Prof. Salt wrote:In the Port Aransas area you can catch trout and reds in the surf, and you will also find ladyfish, jacks and spanish macks. The mackerel (and sharks if you find them)will cut your line as mentioned above. It can get expensive, so what most of us do is tie a few inches of wire (40lb would work for the size line you are using) between the lure and your line or hook and line. It will allow you to catch the toothy fish and the reds too. Trout might shy away from the wire, but it's the price paid to keep from losing a lot of tackle to the fish with teeth. STAR trout will require the more costly option of getting bit off by other fish until you find that big yellowmouth in a hungry mood. They probably won't be the only fish under birds - jacks and spanish are the most common culprits these days. When you hook up, all those fish are fun, so enjoy them.

If you plan to stay relatively close to shore I would recommend the wider yaks like the Cuda or Trident - they might be more comfortable while you are learning to handle the surf at the beginning. Some guys here use Tarpon 160s and really do well with them, but if you plan to learn the surf and fish the close waters there isn't really a penalty for taking the wide kayak. If a big shark swims by to check you out the extra stability is reassuring.

The first step should be taking the empty yaks in the surf and practice paddling in and out of the surf. Keep the boat moving forward as you head out and don't stop where the waves crash. Coming in is trickeir than you might think. Keep the kayak from getting too fast and riding waves and you should be alright. Most yaks will get the back end pulled out sideways by the wave face if you try to surf it, resulting in a rollover (turtle). Concentrate on keeping it perpendicular to the waves while you are in the surf zone and the rest of the trip is easy. Good luck!
very helpful post. Thanks. What do you think the preferred method would be? Anchoring or should I be able to fish floating around? I think I should be able to move around and cast here and there and anchor if/when I find signs of fish or get lazy.
Another perhaps stupid question, how deep should I expect it to be there? I would assume 8-10' but it wouldn't be the first time I assumed and was wrong.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Near the beach around Corpus Christi you should be able to anchor up if you want. As you move farther south, water gets deeper more quickly and therefore more difficult to get the anchor to hold. Chasing birds, as you will find out, is a mobile experience. A couple of casts and the melee will move down, and you will need to follow. Be aware that in a real bait ball situation there may be an entire food chain in a small space. I have hooked a Spanish mackerel and as I pull him in it got eaten by a king, which quickly got eaten by a shark. I didn't mind because it was quite a show! I just bring it up as a reminder to watch having bare feet laying in that murky water. Toes can look edible for an instant if the water isn't really clear, and those fish move quick to catch bait. I don't know many seven toed kayakers, but I would keep them on board while around the surface action. You never know. :lol:

I usually try to approach the birds from up wind so I can drift silently closer as I cast. It can give me time to catch a quick two or three fish if the drift goes well. Away from the surface commotion, I feel very comfortable with my feet in the water, so if that's your thing it should be fine.

Last thought on the depth - it will still vary as you travel just beyond the surf, as there is another sand bar farther out. Some stretches of beach have four definite bars with deeper water between them. As long as waves aren't breaking you can slow down to cast, but keep an eye out. Sometimes two (or three) waves will combine to create a rogue wave much larger than the norm, and there will be a surprise roller farther from the beach than normal. Just watch as you fish and put the kayak nose into the waves if you see a larger one coming. Enjoy your experience. It didn't take me long to work right up to chasing some really big fish! It really does get into your system like an itch that just won't go away, and when you're out on the gulf scratching the itch it feels SO GOOD! :D
limbwalker

Post by limbwalker »

Some good advice above for sure!

This is all I've done so far - taking the yaks out to about 1/4 - 1/2 mile tops a few times. Brother and I have had a ball catching sharks this way, up to about 3 feet. I've also had some really pleasant evenings just casting back toward the beach from about 200 yards offshore, and have caught quite a few trout this way. Usually, that's downwind, so it makes casting "into" the surf much easier than from the beach.

Do practice in and out of the surf many times before you try it though. After some practice, I've been lucky to stay upright on every trip out since and it's been quite relaxing.

Looking forward to doing this again soon. As I don't have a 4wd, getting to a reasonable launch to go to a rig is not an option for me on the middle coast, but fishing outside the 2nd gut is still a lot of fun in a yak.
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

limbwalker wrote:Some good advice above for sure!

This is all I've done so far - taking the yaks out to about 1/4 - 1/2 mile tops a few times. Brother and I have had a ball catching sharks this way, up to about 3 feet. I've also had some really pleasant evenings just casting back toward the beach from about 200 yards offshore, and have caught quite a few trout this way. Usually, that's downwind, so it makes casting "into" the surf much easier than from the beach.

Do practice in and out of the surf many times before you try it though. After some practice, I've been lucky to stay upright on every trip out since and it's been quite relaxing.

Looking forward to doing this again soon. As I don't have a 4wd, getting to a reasonable launch to go to a rig is not an option for me on the middle coast, but fishing outside the 2nd gut is still a lot of fun in a yak.
this is precisely what im talking about. Making it out to calmer water and pretty well casting into the edge of the surf. I think we may be able to get to the beach and pretty well try going in and out a few times empty and then loading up light and head out for some trial and error fishing. Obviously everythi g tied down and tethered, pfd on. I live at least 2 hrs from the beach so making a few trips practicing before making a fishing trip isnt real practical. Gonna have to roll it into one and see how she works out.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Do be careful about your gear as you could easily lose it when turtling, which you will sooner or later.
fishgutz

Post by fishgutz »

People are so cool on TKF.. Your getting advice from two of the best mid and upper coast BTB guys. :clap:
WRsteveX

Post by WRsteveX »

fishgutz wrote:People are so cool on TKF.. Your getting advice from two of the best mid and upper coast BTB guys. :clap:
And grateful for it
SlamminHammer

Post by SlamminHammer »

I did exactly what you are thinking about doing for the first time this past week and had a blast. I was bout 100yds from the edge when the water turns clear south of Port A. I just dropped anchor parallel with where the birds were working and they would move around and swing by every 10 mins or so. I caught a bunch of Spanish maks on a spoon and some lady fish and a few jacks. It was red hot action the whole time. I was fishing 20lb braid on a 7 foot heavy bass rod and the outfit worked great. Had a shark rod out and hooked up a few times and ended up getting a nice black tip. It's definitely a fun experience and much closer than the rigs.
Pilar

Post by Pilar »

What a great thread! I am in the same situation and have been hesitant to commit to trying some BTB close to shore because of lack of information. Thanks for starting the post WRsteveX, and thanks for all the other input!
MachewTexas

Post by MachewTexas »

I've gone twice just like your asking about. Beginner's luck- I got on Spanish Mack both times. Lost three spoons until I upgraded my leader. Also ruined a spinning reel by turtling and not knowing how to clean the real properly.

Like they said... its an itch.
limbwalker

Post by limbwalker »

WRsteveX wrote:this is precisely what im talking about. Making it out to calmer water and pretty well casting into the edge of the surf. I think we may be able to get to the beach and pretty well try going in and out a few times empty and then loading up light and head out for some trial and error fishing. Obviously everythi g tied down and tethered, pfd on. I live at least 2 hrs from the beach so making a few trips practicing before making a fishing trip isnt real practical. Gonna have to roll it into one and see how she works out.
The first thing I noticed when I started fishing from just offshore in my kayak is how much cooler it was out there than it is on the beach. The difference is amazing. It's like getting air conditioning added to your kayak. ha, ha. The beach is a good 10-15 degrees hotter than just 200 yards offshore. So even on a really hot day, if you cover up well to keep from getting sunburned, you can easily sit out there and fish for hours with very little effort.

My best luck has come with (my favorite) 3" Cocahoe minnows (red with white tail) or Gulp shrimp, casting back to the beach from about 60 yards past the last breakers. The current will take you down the beach if you aren't anchored, then you just paddle up and drift back again. Usually, I'll anchor with a LOT of line out and a good 10 lb. anchor connected to the stern of my kayak. In a normal breeze, this keeps my kayak pointed toward the beach, and any rogue waves or rollers don't tip me out. I just ride over them. If you're drifting, you do have to be more aware of getting sideways to the waves though.
Jesg1224

Post by Jesg1224 »

A lot of this has already been covered, but I'll re-iterate some of it anyway.

I've been doing exactly what you are talking about for a while and I've had been able to fight med size sharks, jacks, spanish mackerals, etc using inshore type tackle. I've caught most of those fish with my Curado 100DSV spooled with 30lb braid and either fluro leader or a wire leader on an inshore type rod. You'll be in for longer fights than if you had a heavier setup but it's doable. A key item, as mentioned previously, is the anchor system with an attached float. I've had to disconnect from my anchor quicklly in order to not be spooled by some of the sharks and jacks using my light setup. They'll start pulling your kayak around and you'll adjust your drag accordingly until they get tired and you can pull them in. It does get a little dicey if they drag you back into the breakers and then you have to deal with paddling to keep from getting rolled and fighting the fish.

I agree that the Trident and Cuda are probably going to be your best bets.

I suggest using the "Paris Hilton" method of reentry through the surf for your first attempts. I still do this myself.
Basically that means coming in backwards through the surf. The idea is that you can either paddle backwards slowly or allow the surf to push you back naturally backwards. You keep the bow of the kayak pointed directly at the waves and paddle forward briefly when the wave gets to you. This prevents the wave from turning you sideways and rolling you over. Once you get into shallow water you can jump out and just walk the kayak in the rest of the way.

Good luck, stay safe.
castnblast
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by castnblast »

I fish the surf in my yak. In addition to what the prof said, it's a great way to catch Pompano, especially in the fall and spring. You need to pick your
Days
Of coarse but I like to anchor up on the back side of the 2nd bar. There is significant distance between the 3rd and 2nd bar and my favorite condition is when the surf is running in 2 rows. 2 rows at 2ft is ideal - meaning the surf is ou breaking on 2 bars,
But not the 3rd bar. Down here you can catch a wide range of
Fish during the fall when the anchovies run. I'll
Catch whiting, pompano, reds, trout, Spanish makeral, and even hook up a tarpon, jacke crevalle,
And even a kingfish. I typically take 3 rods with me. 1 heavier rod and two 4000 series spinning rods in medium action. One has a lure tied to it for Spanish Mack's, the other is a simple bottom rig for reds, whiting, drum pompano. I use smaller 2/0 hooks. Put a float and a quick disconnect on your anchor. You'll need about 30 ft of anchor rope. You need to double the depth. Gut is 12 - 15 ft so minimum rope length is 30'. 50' is even better. Just paddle far enough
Forward so you drift close to where you can cast. Fish are sometimes just in front of the bar, behind it or even on top. You can even go
To then3rd bar and drift in. I do this to figure out where the fish are. So yes it
Is very doable and a ton of fun.
I love to eat whiting, and getting 14"+ whiting makes for some great meals.
sheriff_john

Post by sheriff_john »

I think you will have a blast. I always have a trout/bass weight rod and reel when I go BTB and have landed Jacks, Smacks, bullreds and sharks to 6 ft on it. I would go far enough past the breakers to ensure a smooth seat. Good luck post up your report and let us know how you do.