How'd you like to be able to dunk your smart phone?

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

How'd you like to be able to dunk your smart phone?

Post by richg99 »

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/ ... oof-n98091" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maskale

Re: How'd you like to be able to dunk your smart phone?

Post by maskale »

look up liquipel on youtube. They say it works, keep watching the people that actually tested it on their phones and that it didn't work.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

I have had a dunkable phone for a little more than an year. It's a real luxury to not have to worry about it out on the kayak and I highly recommend it. My greatest fear was having it sink to the bottom. No matter how waterproof it is, lost is lost. So I made myself a floating case which worked just fine. Eventually I found a "real" floating case and retired my DIY. So far so good.

There are more and more options out there, invest in one. A phone you can use on the water is good safety equipment.
BigSteveSA

Post by BigSteveSA »

I'm all for technology but I think I'll stick to my little DryPak cell phone baggie thingie
pcde123

Post by pcde123 »

i have a galaxy s4 active, its water proof , the same goes with the new s5
SkunkKing

Post by SkunkKing »

Or just spend $80 get a Lifeproof case if you have a iPhone or certain android phones.....also otter box makes a waterproof case now which I have too
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Sony Xperia phones are also waterproof, I believe rated to 10 foot
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

SkunkKing wrote:Or just spend $80 get a Lifeproof case if you have a iPhone or certain android phones.....also otter box makes a waterproof case now which I have too
The LifeProof Fre broke into pieces for me in about 14 months. I would not recommend it at all.

I'm trying now the OtterBox Armor on my iPhone 5. Hopefully it will last longer.

I don't test my luck by putting in water, just hope it protects it if I flip
Walt_Trident13

Post by Walt_Trident13 »

I was in Mesa Arizona last weekend. A group of us were tubing down a lazy river. One of the guys dropped his iPhone in the water. Fortunately it was in a Lifeproof case. The next day he realized he had the FindMyIphone app so we took another iPhone and 'pinged' it. It took us right to the place where he dropped it. Luckily it was in only a couple feet of water so he walked out into the river, pinged it again and there it was. It still had 25% battery life and dry as a bone. The $80 was well spent.
Hobie83

Post by Hobie83 »

Don't forget the LifeJacket for your LifeProof case. Saved my phone a few times. What's the point of having a "dunkable" phone if it doesn't float?
Tx_KayakFishing

Post by Tx_KayakFishing »

I can second having a bad experience with a life proof. Plastic front began to separate from the case with in 4-5 months.... while doing some testing I also found water drops inside the charging door. Next up is the otterbox but I've been waiting to see if Manny has any issues with his.
GitBit35

Post by GitBit35 »

Fargo wrote:I have had a dunkable phone for a little more than an year. It's a real luxury to not have to worry about it out on the kayak and I highly recommend it. My greatest fear was having it sink to the bottom. No matter how waterproof it is, lost is lost. So I made myself a floating case which worked just fine. Eventually I found a "real" floating case and retired my DIY. So far so good.

There are more and more options out there, invest in one. A phone you can use on the water is good safety equipment.

What phone do you have the floating case for? I would like one for my S4 Active.
GitBit35

Post by GitBit35 »

On another note with these waterproof phones... I have tried to take underwater pictures with my Samsung Active, but the touch screen will not respond to touch when it has water on it, or submerged. I imagine that it would be the same with this coating applied.
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

GitBit35 wrote: What phone do you have the floating case for? I would like one for my S4 Active.
I have a Samsung S4 Active as well - here is the floating case I bought, I got it on sale for $5 from ATT with free shipping. It looks like it's still on sale
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/access ... s4iWpVjWNW

GitBit35 wrote: On another note with these waterproof phones... I have tried to take underwater pictures with my Samsung Active, but the touch screen will not respond to touch when it has water on it, or submerged.
You are right about the screen not responding to touch underwater, but the S4 Active lets you assign things like the camera shutter to one of the physical buttons and they work fine underwater.

hope this helps
SkunkKing

Post by SkunkKing »

I also have the waterproof case from otter box. No issues yet but only use when on water. Its huge!
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I have the otter box armor. Not tested for waterproof, but does work on the drop. :oops:

I actually like the heft that it has.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Sometimes I use my food-saver to vacuum seal my iphone inside a plastic bag along with a piece of foam for floatation. It's cheap and works great. I take out just enough air to make it snug around the phone without depressing the home button.

You can operate the touch screen through the plastic just fine and even talk and hear a little bit, but the only problem is that you can't charge it up after it's sealed. As long as I keep usage to a minimum it's good all day.

Otherwise, it's inside a heavy ziplock and then in a dry bag.

-CC
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Guys - waterproof cases are great, so long as you are in shallow clear water. A waterproof case is worthless unless you pair it with a floatation device. Trust me, I learned the hard way. :lol:
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

I have an Otterbox armor and tether it to my wading sling with a piece of 30# mono. I also use a Pelican case off the water and have been very pleased. When and if they wear out I will go back to a Lifeproof case and 30# mono.
I can testify how badass the Pelican case I have for my Iphone 5 is...last Friday I left my tupperware with my sunscreen and phone inside on the deck of the poling skiff after we cleaned fish and drove off. I went to call my girlfriend on the way home and realized (thought ) I left my tupperware in the rear boat hatch and waited until we got back to the house to find my case missing...used "Find My Iphone" app and it was about a mile from the boat ramp which was over two hours away. I found it in the ditch about ten feet off the road, up a little further was my sunscreen and then there was the tupperware lid and the actual bottom of the tupperware. At that point we were driving at least 60 mph and all four corners of my phone case have road rash where it cartwheeled and came to rest in the grass but the phobe was unaffected! Very hardcore for a $16 case I bought off Sierratradingpost.com...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399739196.426709.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399739213.692699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399739225.360780.jpg
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399739253.310101.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399739265.977112.jpg
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Those of you with life proof case problems, give them a call! They replaced mine at least 4 times on mY iPhone 4 and my problems were VERY minor compared to yours! A 120' drop off a tower at work to asphalt finally did my case in by breaking the charging door, the rest of the case was fine. Phone would have been fine but it landed on a rock screen down and cracked the glass on the last bounce. Can't fault the case for that! I used the phone until the replacement glass came in, replaced the screen and continued to use the phone till I sold it. I'm basing my next upgrade on the availability of a life proof case for the new one! Almost indestructible case and its backed 100% by the manufacturer!
macjank7

Post by macjank7 »

FishingSETX wrote:Those of you with life proof case problems, give them a call! They replaced mine at least 4 times on mY iPhone 4 and my problems were VERY minor compared to yours! A 120' drop off a tower at work to asphalt finally did my case in by breaking the charging door, the rest of the case was fine. Phone would have been fine but it landed on a rock screen down and cracked the glass on the last bounce. Can't fault the case for that! I used the phone until the replacement glass came in, replaced the screen and continued to use the phone till I sold it. I'm basing my next upgrade on the availability of a life proof case for the new one! Almost indestructible case and its backed 100% by the manufacturer!
But some people think a case should be bomb proof and last three years or it is junk...