Annual Spring Break Open Invite March 9-14

Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Annual Spring Break Open Invite March 9-14

Post by Hirsch »

Keira's father has health issues. She still plans on going, but it is on a day by day status.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Hirsch wrote:
milret wrote:You forgot Lynne!
Lynne, I apologie. I am looking at the list I typed from and had you on it. Typo error in transcribing.
In reality it is the brain passing gas.
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

Hell or high water... I need the break!
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

The ole phrase "I need a break" does not apply to me anymore. This is a chance to hang out with old friends and the adventure. I am now in a different phase of life. My plans are to build a Tear Drop trailer for a little more comfort in my camp outings. Doing multi day trips on the river just is not in the cards any more. Joints will not support that. So, I will confine myself to the State and Federal Park System.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

milret wrote:The ole phrase "I need a break" does not apply to me anymore. This is a chance to hang out with old friends and the adventure. I am now in a different phase of life. My plans are to build a Tear Drop trailer for a little more comfort in my camp outings. Doing multi day trips on the river just is not in the cards any more. Joints will not support that. So, I will confine myself to the State and Federal Park System.
Here's John's plans for the next Brazos camping trip:

:D :mrgreen:

I got my vacation request put in at work for that week. *Shouldn't* be any problem having it approved.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

rodloos wrote:
milret wrote:The ole phrase "I need a break" does not apply to me anymore. This is a chance to hang out with old friends and the adventure. I am now in a different phase of life. My plans are to build a Tear Drop trailer for a little more comfort in my camp outings. Doing multi day trips on the river just is not in the cards any more. Joints will not support that. So, I will confine myself to the State and Federal Park System.
Here's John's plans for the next Brazos camping trip:

:D :mrgreen:

I got my vacation request put in at work for that week. *Shouldn't* be any problem having it approved.
Thanks a lot. Will be good to see at Caddo.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I'm doing a lil base camp trip with a friend of mine who is turning 50 this weekend..my question for you guys... Do you find yourself packing more junk than you do for a float....I'm thinking about taking my Tiki's :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .. Wish I was going with you guys
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I take some extra like Coleman lanterns. I will updrade from a one burner to a two burner stove for a truck trip.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Hirsch wrote:I take some extra like Coleman lanterns. I will updrade from a one burner to a two burner stove for a truck trip.
I'm also taking my Dutch Oven
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I take everything I can fit in my truck :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

Bought new tires for the truck yesterday, put new wiper blades on. Found the front struts are broken, so I have to get them replaced and get it inspected still before the trip. It would be a difficult task to carry my kayak on top of my Prius :).

East Texas usually gets more rain than here in North Central, so I'm hoping there is no burn ban, anyone know?
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

I think, Ha, that if everyone brings a bag of wood we should be set. I Think!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

No burn ban, yes I will bring some firewood and the lake is 100% full. :D
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Alright. I will bring some wood, Paul will bring some wood. Who else wants to be a woody ?
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I had to cancel my reservation for Mar 10-13. This will
make a campsite available. While you're enjoying Caddo Lake, I'll be enjoying shoulder surgery. Maybe next time I can make it.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I am sorry to hear that.
BOPGUNNER

Post by BOPGUNNER »

beekeeper wrote:I had to cancel my reservation for Mar 10-13. This will
make a campsite available. While you're enjoying Caddo Lake, I'll be enjoying shoulder surgery. Maybe next time I can make it.
I know you have been looking forward to this, get well and ready for a spring Brazos trip. You can't paddle but we could use a camp cook, what do you think Cookie. Rehab hard and get back on the water soon. G
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I've never been to the state park on Caddo. Looking at the web site, it looks like it is not actually on the lake but is up the river a bit from the lake, right?

Does anyone know how shallow that river is? I'm guessing we can launch into the river from the state park and paddle down to the lake, right? Do you think the river is deep enough I could use the fins in my Hobie Outback? I'm considering bringing both my Hobie and my Native Ultimate, get some exercise pedaling and some exercise paddling.

What time are y'all planning on getting there Sunday? Looks like it will be a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive for me. I should be able to get my gear packed up this week and be ready to head out, I got my truck fixed yesterday (1 strut was totally broken off, the other was shot).

It will be nice to have a week relaxing with friends out there.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Chomping at the bit here. Got my BIG-G tent down to see if I still know how to put up, lol....borrowed daughters BIG double/queen air mattress....and making a list for everything for comfort but the kitchen sink that'll fit in truck without getting a U-haul, lol!!!! (Guess there's no wi-fi up there, huh??). This gal will have a "gypsy camp"!!!!!!!!!!! Have a little leftover firewood I can bring, too. Still thinking to bring both yak's -- the Srchr would be great fun up there if I want to trade off. Was wondering if anyone interested in a couple of little group pot-luck type meals??????? I wouldn't mind bringing a big batch of potato salad and/or cole slaw to share.....pkgs of bacon/sausage/eggs for breakfast maybe???? Just a thought...........
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

My being comfortable only equates to staying warm at night. It may be a little on the cool side. Bringing all kinds of sleep gear. 2 sleep bags, 2 blankets, and some thermals if needed. I am bringing an extra tent just in case and an extra air mattress just in case. Bringing tarps to make some shade if needed. Everything else is standard stuff. Staying warm at night is a lesson learned from the freeze trip I went on a few years back.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

This will be a bit more posh than our norm. I will be bringing a wall tent, Traps for a tent fly and porch and a dining canopy, Army cot, two Coleman lanterns which can also heat the tent a bit when I change, my one burner and a two burner Coleman stove, etc.

Rod I suspect it will be deep enough for the fin. I actually envision day trips launching out at several points on the lake so we can see a variety of sights. Use to be (40 years ago :lol:) you could by detailed maps marking all the numbered channels, etc, buying them onsite.

I just called the Park and gave them the correct names for the following: MILRET, M. Saxatalis, Firefly 49, Keira Q, Rodloos, BOP Gunner and myself. They have identified our reservations and believe they can co-locate us. interrupted only by one designated handicap site. If I missed anyone please let me know.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Sounds like we are going to have a luxury city setup compared to when we have to fit all gear into our kayaks :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .

What time are y'all planning on getting to the park? We lose an hour of sleep that Sunday switching to Daylight Savings Time, but if I can get everything packed ahead of time I hope to get there early in the afternoon, anyone getting there earlier than that?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

It is a 5 hour run for Linda and I so I will say mid-afternoon.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

Sure glad I am not bringing the Kitchen Sink. Lynne and I are going to tailgate each other. We should be up there around 3:30. I have a large 14 x 16 Tarp I will bring as a communal Shelter. No mansion for a tent but I will be comfy.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Forecast that week is wonderful. Mild temps and mostly sunny!!! :D

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/uncert ... er/2106963" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

No fan needed at night. Got my meals planned out. Steak, Pork Chops, Chicken Breast, Hamburgers, Chili Dogs. And a good side dish for most. Breakfasts will be Egg, Ham Steak, Hash Browns. Lunches mostly light quick stuff. Off course will have munchies.