Lake Houston/Luces Bayou 12/27

bison_snapper

Lake Houston/Luces Bayou 12/27

Post by bison_snapper »

My buddy and I went out to Luces bayou for the first time yesterday to check things out. Ended up being a slow day; I caught 4 crappie and my friend got skunked. We didn't have a depth finder so we resorted to jigging downed trees. This was my first time to target crappie but I was just wondering if it is normal for the bite to be slow this time of year or were we doing something wrong?

Thanks
IMAG0434.jpg
falcon2

Re: Lake Houston/Luces Bayou 12/27

Post by falcon2 »

I think the crappie start running when the dog woods are bluemming.In late February.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Crappie are more than likely in deeper water right now and will come shallow to spawn between late Feb and mid March when the water temps come up some.

Your tactic of fishing downed structure should yield very good results when they move shallow.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

Stopped in at OT's bait shop today , asked about the fishing and the woman showed me a two pictures from different fishermen each with 25-40 crappie .... from East Fork. No details on the depth or bait .... just that they were caught.
capt carl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by capt carl »

jigging the trees is one of the best way to crappie fish,keep it up and you will catch more crappie
CptSavAMullet
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CptSavAMullet »

Wherever you caught those 4 at go back to the same spot/area at the end of February beginning of March. In March the crappies march
Plant

Post by Plant »

Ramjet wrote:Crappie are more than likely in deeper water right now and will come shallow to spawn between late Feb and mid March when the water temps come up some.

Your tactic of fishing downed structure should yield very good results when they move shallow.
^^^^
THIS

Also, most of the fisherman with full crappie stringers are using minnows.