Devils River Shuttle Info - Update

Brady S

Devils River Shuttle Info - Update

Post by Brady S »

Once again there has been some changes on the Devils... Gerald Bailey is still down there, he will be shuttling from Bakers Crossing to his house ONLY (23 miles). He did not get a permit from the state this year to put in and take out on state lands (SNA's). Last year Gerald started requiring your full trip cost as the deposit, I assume it's the same way this year.

The person you will have to use for SNA travel is Darren Carr of Amistad Expeditions, he has a website. Darren can put in at Bakers or the north SNA and take out either at the south SNA or Rough Canyon Marina on the lake. The trip from SNA to SNA will be about 17 miles. Darren is charging $450 per 6 people. He has lodging available or he can pick you up in Del Rio or at Marlene's BnB. He is requiring me to send in a $100 deposit. I have already secured my dates for the spring.

I hope this helps.
Brady
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Devils River Shuttle Info - Update

Post by Aggroman »

Thanks for the info, my son and I are looking at next year's schedule, trying to nail down a time.

Glad to see you back around here Brady.
Brady S

Post by Brady S »

Thanks bud, it's been months since I've fished, you know how life gets busy with a family...
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

Is there any room for myself on any of these trips coming up?

I REALLY need to knock this one off the bucket list..
DesertYakker

Post by DesertYakker »

Thanks for the update Brady.

I was hoping they would open up the Big Satan Unit to the public last year, but no luck so far. :cry: Looks like I will have to get my reservation in with Darren as well. My new favorite stretch of the devil's is about a mile below Gerald Bailey's house and I haven't had a whole lot of good luck between bakers and the SNA especially with the water level being so low. That pricing isn't too bad if you get enough people in your group. Let me know when you are going to go, Brady and maybe we can get a group together. Last year, we had an awesome trip and our group caught 6 smallmouth over 4lbs and alot of 2 and 3lb ones. This is my favorite river by far!
Brady S

Post by Brady S »

I've already got 6 in my group which is more than I like to take honestly.
DevilsPaddler

Post by DevilsPaddler »

Calling tomorrow to reserve our trip, can't wait. Ought to be a good year!
DevilsPaddler

Post by DevilsPaddler »

Okay I will try and post again...my first one never showed up.

We got our trip planned for late April. Darren seems like a really easy going guy, very friendly over the phone. Should be a good year. Water levels are up a little for now.
Erock

Post by Erock »

Posted this question on the other Devils River thread, but do any of you guys work at a fab shop on Bammel off 1960? Just curious. Thanks!
Brady S

Post by Brady S »

Erock wrote:Posted this question on the other Devils River thread, but do any of you guys work at a fab shop on Bammel off 1960? Just curious. Thanks!
I work for an oil company in down town Fort Worth
DevilsPaddler

Post by DevilsPaddler »

Erock wrote:Posted this question on the other Devils River thread, but do any of you guys work at a fab shop on Bammel off 1960? Just curious. Thanks!
I do not.
Brooksido

Post by Brooksido »

Three questions....

How is the fishing from Bakers Crossing down to his house? Worth the trip?

Are there places to camp along that 23 miles if we wanted to do a slow two-night trip?

How much is his shuttle service? I know this can vary with time, but a rough estimate would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Brady S

Post by Brady S »

Brooksido wrote:Three questions....

How is the fishing from Bakers Crossing down to his house? Worth the trip?

Are there places to camp along that 23 miles if we wanted to do a slow two-night trip?

How much is his shuttle service? I know this can vary with time, but a rough estimate would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Yes the fishing is good, there are few islands, PM me if you are seriously going to go. Shuttle is about $400 for up to 6 people.
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LUISJG »

Hey guys ,I gomto fish the devils a lot, I dont paddle anymore due to back issues but I take my skiff and go up river then I wade fly fish, if im ithe area i dont mind droping you guys of at bakers in my jeep .
txdox21

Post by txdox21 »

LUISJG wrote:Hey guys ,I gomto fish the devils a lot, I dont paddle anymore due to back issues but I take my skiff and go up river then I wade fly fish, if im ithe area i dont mind droping you guys of at bakers in my jeep .
Ever have any openings in your skiff for a fellow fly fisherman?
altair

Post by altair »

Bumping up old thread, but I was looking to go down there and the only people I can find for Shuttle + Water Taxi are Amistad and they're charging 350 + 350 (up to 4 people). Seems pretty steep. Any other options out there now?
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

altair wrote:Bumping up old thread, but I was looking to go down there and the only people I can find for Shuttle + Water Taxi are Amistad and they're charging 350 + 350 (up to 4 people). Seems pretty steep. Any other options out there now?
Reach out to fpatino, via PM, as he has kayaked down Devil's River a few times. He might be able to give you some insight.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Here are two great resources for the Devil's River: TPWD and Adventure On outdoors.