Lefty.

johnboy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lefty.

Post by johnboy »

Any one on here reel left handed useing a bait casting reel.
daweazel5150

Re: Lefty.

Post by daweazel5150 »

I use a citica 201e. I'm right handed but am more comfortable reeling lefty.
jmac

Post by jmac »

I always cranked right handed until I committed to extensively using topwaters. When walking the dog with the rod in my left hand I tired quickly. Now I crank with the left and my right works the rod. I also switched to a lighter outfit.
Hernandezjd

Post by Hernandezjd »

I'm right handed myself but grew up using spinning reels with crank on left. When I bought a baitcast reel with crank on right I couldn't work a top water to save my life!! Sold that one and bought a lefty and love it!!
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

I'm a righty that fishes lefty too. It just makes more sense to me. You can cast and work your lure with your strong arm and be ready to reel without switching hands.
christian

Post by christian »

Hahahaha. I'm a lefty that reels right side. I think I'm more comfortable with my strong arm controling the rod.
Shaun Russell

Post by Shaun Russell »

I have tried it lots of times but just cant make it happen.
vic'sfly

Post by vic'sfly »

Cadiyak Sam wrote:I'm a righty that fishes lefty too. It just makes more sense to me. You can cast and work your lure with your strong arm and be ready to reel without switching hands.
x2
Jketchum

Post by Jketchum »

^^^ Same here I am selling my right hand Quantum escalade 7.0:1 burner to purches a lefty
CamoCuda

Post by CamoCuda »

yep, lefty - switching hands after you cast makes zero sense.
But I see why it would be hard to switch once you're used to a certain way.
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Only Curado 201s here.
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

I tie both hands behind my back when I go fishing, just to make it fair.
hookset4

Post by hookset4 »

I am a righty but use left handed baitcasters exclusively. Used right handed baitcaster for years and finally got tired of switching hands to cast and switch again to retrieve. Went to a bayou with a new (at the time) 201BSF and tied on a rattletrap and threw it all day. Awkward at first but within an hour I knew all my right handed reels were going out the door and it would be lefties only from then on. All power and finesse moves are definitely better done with your dominant hand. It hasn't been specifically mentioned, but hooksets are much better performed with your right than your left.

-hook
redshad

Post by redshad »

I agree with you Christian, I am right handed and much prefer to have the rod in my dominant hand, so much easier to work lures, fight fish and set the hook. 35 years ago it was very difficult to find baitcasters in left hand, now the majority of quality reels are available in l/h. I only own lefthand baitcasters, however, left or right handed is really not as important as being out on the water as God intended us to be. Tight lines and good fishing to all.
Copperfish

Post by Copperfish »

How about a righty learning to cast with the left. Kinda saves having to buy new reels. Anyone here develop those skills, switching your casting arm.
DIY

Post by DIY »

LH baitcaster: Can work all baits/lures

RH baitcaster: " "

Always has been a challenge of mine to know the negative/positive of how things work. I feel the RH caster is more of an elegant feel when working moving lures. The LH caster is a power house feel when it comes to finesse. In all my personal feeling on LH/RH baitcaster, they are equal.
Bass Art

Post by Bass Art »

Copperfish, I use both hands for most things, including casting. About 4 years ago, I had a bad case of tendonitis in my right elbow, and I decided to pitch left handed. It took 10 minutes to be efficient enough to cast, and a couple of hours to get it down for good.
Copperfish

Post by Copperfish »

I've been practicing casting light tackle holding with both hands. It's been helping getting that feel with the left. Now if I can just get it were I need it to go. Lol
Quade

Post by Quade »

Another righty fishin lefty here. Makes more sense when uou think about it, you don't hsve to switch hands after a cast.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I'm a righty and have fished RHanded for years. Recently tried a left hand reel and it's been a very easy transition. Either way works for me so I can fish with either hand. Just going to use whatever I pick up and rock on!

These were caught yesterday on my lefty:
Attachments
Quick shot from the Sabine area before I found my limit!
Quick shot from the Sabine area before I found my limit!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I've never considered this topic...

My baitcaster is reeled on the right, my spinning on the left.

I cast my baitcaster with my right arm, and switch it over to my left hand to reel with my right hand. Thinking about it, this doesn't make sense...

I cast my spinning reel with my right hand, and naturally leave it in my right hand while my left closes the bail and reels. Why don't I just buy a lefty baitcaster, since I know my left hand can reel, then I don't have to switch my hands when casting the baitcaster.

Thanks for the topic guys...
Quade

Post by Quade »

Considering how many strikes you get when a bait/lure is falling, it makes sense to have the rod in your fighting hand as soon as possible. That being said, I think it ultimately falls on the preference of the angler.
realfinnaddict

Post by realfinnaddict »

I too use a lefty baitcaster just recently I purchased a right handed bait caster and I could cast and reel ok but it felt very akward after fishing spinners since day one. Also couldnot work top waters or jerk baits as I did with the spinner reels dumped theright handed Abu in the trash and got a lefty Daiwa and now I fish fresh water exclusively with baitcasters.salt water spin only
yellow140t

Post by yellow140t »

i'am a lefty and reel with my right hand never tried the other way 8)
copperhead

Post by copperhead »

Im a lefty and bought a lefthand reel and tried it,very awkward,got rid of it and will stick with the right hand reel.Cast with the left and reel with the right on all my reels,including my fly reels.By the way Jonboy how you been?