Flush or Deck Mounts ?

Uncle Vinny

Flush or Deck Mounts ?

Post by Uncle Vinny »

Hey all,

Been doing some rigging to my Pescador and want to put in/on some Scotty mounts and was wondering which is best for long term.

Would it be better to install flush mounts or deck mounts ?

Thanks for your time!

Uncle Vinny.
Fargo

Re: Flush or Deck Mounts ?

Post by Fargo »

Hi Vinny,
I have used both on different boats. The first time I went with deck mounts because I was nervous about cutting holes in my boat (drilling was hard enough). Then I went with flush mounts because I was starting from scratch and wanted the best possible (for me) setup. I went with the flush mounts because they were less obtrusive. They made it easier to load/unload and were one less thing to get in the way when storing.

Going forward I will favor the flush mounts when I have the option. If you need the extra height or you don't have enough depth below deck to accommodate a deck mount would be your choice.
Last edited by Fargo on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncle Vinny

Post by Uncle Vinny »

Fargo wrote:Hi Vinny,
I have used both on different boats. The first time I went with deck mounts because I was nervous about cutting holes in my boat (drilling was hard enough). Then I went with flush mounts because I was starting from scratch and wanted the best possible (for me) setup. I went with the flush mounts because they were less obtrusive. They made it easier to load/unload and were one less thing to get in the way when storing.

Going forward I will favor the flush mounts when I have the option. If you need the extra height or you don't have enough depth below deck to accommodate a flush mount would be your choice.
This is why I'm loving this place. Great ideas and suggestions to those that are in the need to know.

Pretty much what I was thinking, less stuff to get hung up on the better, and I'm just feeling iffy about how much structural strength the deck mounts have.

Planning on stopping by a place on the way home this evening and I guess I was just looking for reassurance. :D

Uncle Vinny.
Tx_KayakFishing

Post by Tx_KayakFishing »

In regard to the Scotty mounts the difference in height is drastic so I prefer the flush mount Scotty mounts.
Uncle Vinny

Post by Uncle Vinny »

Mr_Micah_ wrote:In regard to the Scotty mounts the difference in height is drastic so I prefer the flush mount Scotty mounts.
Even on a just cosmetic appearance, it just looks more streamlined.

So what is on my list?
Scotty Rod/Reel holder,
another scotty flush mount just behind my seat for the YakAttack light pole I've picked up,
and another flush mount rod holder for the left side to even things out as my Pescador only came with the single.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Just a word of caution when installing the flush mounts. When I added one to my Manta, I didn't plan the angle properly. Due to the inside angle, the top flange wasn't exactly flush.

I had to pull the mount and cut a more oblong shaped hole to get it in right. Also wound up with a couple of extra screw holes. They were, luckily, covered by the repositioned flange. Plan well. Rich
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

Flush mounts.
You can take a piece of cardboard, stick the flush mount through it, trace it and cut it out to use as a template. As Rich said though, plan well, make sure you have the room below. Measure twice, cut once.
Uncle Vinny

Post by Uncle Vinny »

Thanks guys!

I definately get nervous when I have the drill in hand and the bit gets closer to the boat. :)

Will absolutely be using the suggested cardboard template!
gwinyak

Post by gwinyak »

A paper plate works well too and is a little easier to work with.
Uncle Vinny

Post by Uncle Vinny »

gwinyak wrote:A paper plate works well too and is a little easier to work with.
Definitely have those!
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

I have deck mounts on both sides thinking that's what I would like. Wasn't what I had hoped for. As Mr_Micah_ said it was a drastic height difference that I really didn't care for. But instead of doing more cutting, I ended up with an awesome crate that holds four rods right behind me. I just got a another prowler 13 for my son and decided to not put any in, just a scotty mount in the front console area. Got him a crate with rocket launchers and we're set to go. It works for a lot of folks, but if I ever do it again, they will be flush. I use them every now and again to put the rod for the gopro in for a different angle, but that's it. Anyway, just my opinion on the matter. You're in the right place for some knowledgeable folks....excluding me of course. :D Good luck!
Uncle Vinny

Post by Uncle Vinny »

Thought I'd post an update.
Ended up getting a single flush mount and put it behind the seat and left of the back hatch. This is for the ya gear light pole.

Decided to hold off on the rod holder for now.

Like most here I did get a milk crate (wally world) which I had to trim down the corners so it would fit in the back area. Installed a three rod holder which should work well for holding my extra rod n reel, collapsible retrieval net and whatever else comes in the future. Have enough room for my Coleman cooler, a couple tackle trays and other bits and pieces.

Want to thank everyone that gave all the great suggestions and hoping for the day we can get together. I live really close to Dickinson/Galveston Bay, with the only possible issue being that I have weekdays off.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help!

Uncle Vinny.