First Gheenoe outing

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

First Gheenoe outing

Post by richg99 »

As I posted nearly a month ago, I sold my RIDE 115 and bought a 2012 Gheenoe NMZ. Some who read that post asked for pictures and an accounting of my first trip or two.

Is spite of pretty heavy winds, I trekked on down to GISP this morning. Driving through downtown Houston is getting to be nearly impossible at rush hour on weekdays, so I used the Beltway all of the way around.

Launched at Waterman's after paying them $10.00 OUCH! Wind was whipping from the North East but it was cooler than any time this summer, and I knew I wasn't going very far. I don't think I would have launched my yak in the same winds...not that the yak wouldn't have been perfectly safe to paddle..just that this old geezer doesn't like powering through the waves to get to my locations.

There were two paddlers out there, however. One in a kind of turquoise yak, and the other in an aluminum canoe. I suspect that the canoeist came from one of the local houses.

The 9.8 Nissan powered right up on one pull, which I have come to expect with this motor. That gave the boat plenty of power to push across Lake Como, all at no-wake speed, of course. Entering the flat, the wind was blowing me every which way. Over the next hour or so, I tried all of the gadgets that I had with me, which was the primary purpose of the trip.

I quickly learned that my stick type anchor was too short. That will be easily fixed by adding another section of a golf driver shaft onto the present three sticks.

My anchor device soon showed that the idea, that I read about someplace, of using a dog leash contraption...failed miserably. The anchor held well, on my newly added anchor trolley, but the wind-up recapture device wouldn't pull the cord back in. That is an easy fix. Throw the d#$%^ thing out and use a rope the next time!

I had previously tried putting the trolling motor on a side bracket near the stern. That very short outing resulted in water filling up the stern of the craft. The trolling motor was kicking water into the stern... anytime I had the outboard motor running forward.

For today, I moved the trolling motor bracket to a point forward of a-mid-ships. At first, I didn't think I could reach it to use it very well. After a half hour of getting my sea legs, I found that I could kneel, or sit on a cooler, and use the side-mount trolling motor just fine. Just took some experimenting to find out what system works best. It still causes some over-spray due to its weight. I think that I will flip the bracket over to the port side. That should help balance the boat, since my big butt is canted to the starboard side when I am using the big motor.

The 'Noe went as shallow as I drove her, however the tides had brought some much water into the GISP flats that my normal flat areas were under a couple of feet of water. I found some five or six inch deep areas, and used the trolling motor or the kayak paddle to maneuver around.

The 240 cm paddle moved the boat fine, but, given the hull's 120 lbs, and the motor's added 55 lbs or so, plus myself and my gear, paddling wouldn't be what I'd want to do in any kind of a wind. It is, however, a great feeling to know that you can paddle your way out of almost anything if you have to.

I added a PVC pole to hang onto and needed it for the first 15 minutes or so. After I found that, by flexing my knees, I could stand, fish and even paddle while standing at full height, I really didn't need the support pole much anymore It is on a folding bracket, so I will keep it to help me get into and out of the boat at the dock, but I doubt that it will be needed too much after that.

Here is a picture...please note and expect that a number of additional changes will be made to the rigging as time goes on. Like any boat, you have "make it your own".

regards, Rich

Mr. B

Re: First Gheenoe outing

Post by Mr. B »

Very nice little setup and really all you need for fishing the bay areas.

Might recommend maybe an adjustable length push pole. I used kind of use a 10' Stake out pole I bought at FTU but if the bottom is not somewhat hard it doesn't work so well so make sure it would have some kind of duck bill on it, etc. if you went that route.

I think you have the idea take it out and play with it a few times and then see what works and doesn't work.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Hey Rich,
What's the story with Waterman's? Is the restaurant open? The bait shop? TEN BUCKS TO LAUNCH!
pop1655

Post by pop1655 »

That is nice!!!!!!!!
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Hey Rich! Super nice Gheenoe. Lets take our tiny boats out in Dickinson Bayou sometime. You'd probably like it there. It's perfect for your boat, a shorter drive, free launching, almost no boat traffic, all protected from wind, smooth water, plenty of shorelines to troll and fish, nice flats areas and perfect to learn your new boat.

Plus, Id love to swap boats for a few minutes. I've been looking at those for so long now.
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

I also bought a couple stake out sticks from a guy in Bayou Vista that makes them. One for my yak 5' long, and one for my boat 8' long. They are $65. Super nice. I know you can make them cheaper but 3/4 fiberglass with an aluminum T handle is really nice and professional looking. I can get you pics and info later if youd like.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Thanks guys...KK Waterman's bait shop is open. I think it opens at 6:45 weekdays. I didn't notice what the hours are on the weekends.

Nano...Yes, I like Dickinson bayou. Name the time and which launch (Route 3 or Route 146)?? and I am there. Of course you can give her a run. rich

p.s. re stick type anchors...I am inveterate do-it-yourselfer...plus, I am old and cheap. I love making stuff out of odds and ends, rather than buying the professional gear. Just me, I guess. RG
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Its always Hwy 3 for me. I dont like the added pressure of a busy boat launch. Ill definately give you an invite next time I go.

It seems like a few people have been getting gheenoes lately. Maybe we need a small subforum for gheenoes and micros? :)
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

Thanks for posting this.

I have the "I wannas" pretty bad, Even though I have yet to be on the water in one of these micro skiffs. What's your thoughts on chop and handling other boat traffic in the bay?
On occasions, I need to run about a mile or so through barge traffic to get to one of my favorite spots, my bass boat handles it like a champ, The kayak can do it but it's nerve racking to be in the water with the big boys pushing three or more barges in a wind cock.

Cheers!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Nano...actually, last night, I PM'd the owner TKFSTubbs about such a sub-forum. Rich
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Can't give you much info on barges as I haven't come upon any yet, and I will be avoiding them if I do.

Micro-skiffs are LITTLE boats without much freeboard. I've owned a lot of boats over the years and I don't see this one crossing any bays.

Only time will tell as I get braver where I take her out. Can't compare a bass boat of any size with a low freeboard mico, I don't think .... but, I've been wrong before. Rich
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

If it makes a difference I'm here to say that there is some interest. I feel bad posting my reports and such with my Nano-Skiff in the photos but I cant help but want to share with TKF. I dont want to hijack your thread with my opinions on this but I am available if anyone wants to hear them :P
GUMB0
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by GUMB0 »

I agree with Nano, I am interested in making the transition to selling the stink boat and finding a skiff that will go where I wanna kayak but its getting harder to paddle to due to age and injuries also add the addition of young boys that I want to share my passion with.

There are other sites but no other forum has the "respectful tone" that TKF has. It's a great place to talk fishing.
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

GUMBO-

I sent you a PM answering your questions. I can get this thread ALL off topic if im not careful.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Hey, guys. Regarding 'off topic'..as long as the discussion is about small boats..that is on-topic enough for me. Rich
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

You asked for it Rich! Copy and Paste the PM.

"Gumbo -

Ive taken my micro into poor weather and choppy water more times than I'd like to admit all for trying to find fish and never succeeding. I've ran from Horseshoe Bend in Chocolate bayou to San Luis Pass on a rare calm day (before I knew how rare it was and how dumb it was). Wont do it again. I've taken it from Aransas Pass to the Port Aransas Jetties and out over the big swells coming in. Felt like a surf board. Wont do it again. Crossed the ship channel from Bolivar and came right back after meeting my first tanker in a boat. Wont do it again. Launched in the surf, timed it wrong and 2 waves filled it with water. It still floats full of water so that boosted my confidence. Wont do it again... unless its totally flat. BUT barges are no problem. I'm around them all the time in Chocolate Bayou and the ICW in Rockport area. Ive learned to pull my stake out stick and get the boat moving because once that water is moving, Im moving anyways so Id rather have the prop turning and have some control. I also dont have a bilge pump and micros can fill up with rain quick. I bring a tarp for possible rainy days and when it gets to storming and Im too far from the boat launch or a bridge, I just cover up the boat and wait it out. As far as boat traffic, that just depends. MOST boats is not a problem. The US Coast Guard boat about flooded me in the ICW at Bolivar. He was going about 1/2 throttle throwing an easy 2' peeler at me and I didnt have the room to take it the angle I wanted. You learn to anchor with your bow facing the traffic as well. Ive been using my boat for about 10 years now, since I was about 20. Sometimes I want a bigger one but its so affordable to take a boat out with a 9.9 outboard. 3 gallons will last me 2 trips or more. I can probably answer any question you have about this. You can see my boat here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=204863&p=1968180#p1968180

I didnt want to hijack Rich's thread about his Gheenoe. Thats why I PMd you."

I dont know how my hull compares to a Gheenoe though. The shape of mine limits me to the centerline of the boat so it feels really stable and not tippy at all. I think the Gheenoe would be faster but Im not sure about that either. Those are really cool little boats and they seem easy to accessorize as there are a lot of them around, just not around here it seems.