So Where Were the fish on Saturday 9/14 -- Not Sportsman Rd.

Trout Assassin

So Where Were the fish on Saturday 9/14 -- Not Sportsman Rd.

Post by Trout Assassin »

I tried end of Sportsman Road on Sat morning. This was my first trip there, thanks to Fish When I Can for some advice on the area and where to try. I had stopped on the way to get some live shrimp in hopes of catching some table fare. Well water was high and wind was blowing. I hooked small dink trout early and he got off at the boat. This was the only game fish I caught all morning. I kept a look around and did not see much action from the other yak fisherman or waders in the area. I plan to try this area again when it gets cooler and hopefully the fish will be in there, looks like a great area for fish. :(
argentine fisherman

Re: So Where Were the fish on Saturday 9/14 -- Not Sportsman Rd.

Post by argentine fisherman »

I fished there friday morning and caught two reds one at 19" and the other at 18 "
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

I have heard reports of Redfish up in the grass/reeds due to high water.
bigcorvina

Post by bigcorvina »

I was down the road at 8 mile road were it stops at the bay. It was very slow there too. The best catch of the day was a 17" rat red. Hope to run accross him again in a year or two. Frist tried the beach but the surf was pretty rough. I got 1/2 way out with large waves breaking over the bow, but when my buddy in a sit in foundered, I realized there was no hope for him and we tried the bay side. As you pointed out it was real slow, but still a pretty way on the water.
jimmyjams4110

Post by jimmyjams4110 »

Must have gotten lucky last Sunday, while dodging Thunderstorms, caught 3 slots on artificial, sight casting. Biggest was 24". 8)
Last edited by jimmyjams4110 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyjams4110

Post by jimmyjams4110 »

Double Post
Last edited by jimmyjams4110 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Water is way up. Fish get scattered. Find some shell way up in a marsh or go way up into a bayou or river when water gets this high. Like someone said, many redfish will be up in the grass hunting crabs. Sometimes, trout will be marsh lakes and drains in this high water. This is the time of year fish start moving up into Creeks and Bayous.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Fishing a tournament a few years back & the water was very high. After a lot of futile blind casts drifting what was usually 2 ft of water - but was 4 ft that day - we noticed a lot of action up in grass that was usually dry land. We got out and waded the grass and caught limits of redfish on topwaters. A lot of grass was pulled off of hooks that day, but I learned a lesson that day.

But as a whole, this weekend was not good anywhere that I know of.
WesC

Post by WesC »

Me and a friend went out in his Jon Boat Saturday morning. We put in at Louis Bait Camp. we went through Pierce and fished the Last little island on the right before you cross the ICW. HE caught a nice 22 inch Red. we tried for more there but no luck. we went on to Confederate reef. I had one Strike that broke my 15lbs leader almost as quickly as he took it. so my buddy goes to drop anchor... and dropped the anchor... with out securing it to the rope... no anchor + 15mph plus winds = no more fish. Still better than working but wish we had a backup anchor.
CptSavAMullet
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CptSavAMullet »

Seems to be consistent with all the other reports i heard from the weekend.
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Thanks for the report.