how did you find umderwater structure

jhunter77

how did you find umderwater structure

Post by jhunter77 »

I would like to find some less known areas to fish. I am not asking for GPS locations but want to know how to find my on hot spots. Do most of you find out by maps or word of mouth or do a few just put in a lot of time trolling looking at the fish finder when you are btb. Thanks for the help.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: how did you find umderwater structure

Post by Prof. Salt »

My experience has been that if you put your spots on a public forum they will be covered in fishermen every time you go there and the fishing will decline because of the pressure. Put in the time, beginning with a map, and find yourself a spot that you and a few friends can enjoy.

Be aware that power boaters troll this site looking to potlick rather than put in the time themselves, so if you find a nice structure you might limit the news to Pms between those you know.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I got to be honest, all the offshore structures I fish, I was told by someone else.

I have a fish finder/depth finder and it is on all the time I am out fishing, but I have never seen anything (except in the Houston Ship Channel) that I would take note of as structure.

Maybe some day I will find a structure that I can call my own honey spot.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Sorry, I didn't mean you should strike out blindly. I have done that and found a nice spot, but it took lots of searching. If you use a map that shows some structure you can enjoy it relatively quietly unless you advertise it. I don't mind sharing, but you can see what has happened with boat traffic at the MP rigs... Used to be just kayakers and now it's got lots of boats that pass up other good spots to troll around us.
Living Waters
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: John 3:16, 1Corinthians 7:31, Proverbs 3:5-6, Matthew 4:19

Post by Living Waters »

jhunter77 wrote:I would like to find some less known areas to fish. I am not asking for GPS locations but want to know how to find my on hot spots. Do most of you find out by maps or word of mouth or do a few just put in a lot of time trolling looking at the fish finder when you are btb. Thanks for the help.

Your in a kayak or at least asking the question on a kayak forum, there are limitations of where you can go in a kayak. All the good under water structures I know of are a min of 5 to 10 miles from the beach. Unless you have a power boat.

My advice would be, get a Hook and line map.

For BTB kayak fishing there are some ship wrecks near jetty systems, look in your hook and line maps and you will see them :)

I don't have a fish finder and if I did it would take forever to scan body of waters, I would just use it to find spots that are marked with gps cords.
jhunter77

Post by jhunter77 »

Thanks I have mentioned one spot and won't do that again. I will check out the hot spots any other maps? I know there are a few pipelines offshore but am unsure if they will hold fish.
MrTexasFreedom

Post by MrTexasFreedom »

Jhunter-

Don't underestimate your own ability to create structure. Lots of freshwater crappie fishermen drop dead Christmas trees tied to cinderblocks at specific GPS coordinates only they know. If you've got a Hobie Pro Angler 14', the tailgate can support up to 650 pounds (including your own weight).

I say, get out there and create your own structure.

You'll need to engineer your structure for strong currents, so Christmas trees won't cut it. Stick with concrete and galvanized steel.

--mtf
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

Navionics is a good tool. So are binoculars. As you paddle, look for spade fish, sea turtles and birds. Look for depth variations with sonar as you paddle over them.

Also, if anyone wants to build a reef, let me know and I'll bring my hobie navy to help out. Anyone have extra cinder blocks laying around??

-Poo
yakntx420

Post by yakntx420 »

i just started kayaking this year. have been around tcd a bunch and on surf a handfull of times. i just paddle out past the waves to get a lil experience being out there. planning on goin further out soon tho. im guessing my best chance to catch a nice fish is at a rig?
jhunter77

Post by jhunter77 »

Poolio wrote:Navionics is a good tool. So are binoculars. As you paddle, look for spade fish, sea turtles and birds. Look for depth variations with sonar as you paddle over them.

Also, if anyone wants to build a reef, let me know and I'll bring my hobie navy to help out. Anyone have extra cinder blocks laying around??

-Poo
Great post. I do take binoculars but sitting low in the water makes it tuff to see.far. what is navonics
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Word of mouth and time on the water... Did i mention time on the water, and don't forget time on the water.
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

Navionics = a program add-in to a fancy depth finder, it's also an Android App. It's a GPS-enabled charting program that has saved data of under water obstructions, buoys, wrecks and rigs. I just got the App and it's pretty useful!

-Poo
justinn

Post by justinn »

MrTexasFreedom wrote:Jhunter-

Don't underestimate your own ability to create structure. Lots of freshwater crappie fishermen drop dead Christmas trees tied to cinderblocks at specific GPS coordinates only they know. If you've got a Hobie Pro Angler 14', the tailgate can support up to 650 pounds (including your own weight).

I say, get out there and create your own structure.

You'll need to engineer your structure for strong currents, so Christmas trees won't cut it. Stick with concrete and galvanized steel.

--mtf

That's an interesting take on it, but what are the legalities to this? What's the closest you should start to shore?
MrTexasFreedom

Post by MrTexasFreedom »

justinn wrote:

That's an interesting take on it, but what are the legalities to this? What's the closest you should start to shore?

Well, when the crappie fishermen do it in freshwater lakes, they're probably breaking a couple of laws-- dumping and possibly obstructing a waterway. I haven't heard of anyone getting ticketed or arrested, though. In fact, this article on Bass Pro Shop's website mentions that it's "not legal everywhere."

This site says it's only legal in Alabama and Florida Panhandle. Interestingly, it's a private reefbuilder for hire company. Here's info about a 'reality' tv-show that aired on the Weather Channel last year about that company.

Alabama has a designated reefing zone. That state also claims to be responsible for 40% of all red snapper caught in the gulf of mexico.

How far offshore? Probably a couple miles at least so you've got forty+ FOW on top of the structure. Might help it weather storms & currents better.

--mtf
jhunter77

Post by jhunter77 »

Building structure is out. I could only haul one brick at a time :) I like fishing with in 2 miles is possible. I know this limits the snapper fishing but I have lots of fun with kings and other fish.

For those that use GPS do you also need a depth finder?

Thanks again for all the help!
Bwells

Post by Bwells »

Prof. Salt wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean you should strike out blindly. I have done that and found a nice spot, but it took lots of searching. If you use a map that shows some structure you can enjoy it relatively quietly unless you advertise it. I don't mind sharing, but you can see what has happened with boat traffic at the MP rigs... Used to be just kayakers and now it's got lots of boats that pass up other good spots to troll around us.
Prof., do you really think the boat traffic has picked up at those rigs since the yak reports have become more prevelant? I think it's safe to say that the yak traffic has increased a tad :lol: ...not that that's a bad thing.
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

I'm sure there's a list of reefs, wrecks, etc, out there, which would be fun to just explore. I tried to find some recently, but had little luck.

I was also thinking a scuba group would be a good place to start.

-VW
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Get a sonar with down imaging. Zoom all the way in. Troll a random spot offshore for kings. Stop and drop a bottom rig where you see possible structure. PM me the coordinates to verify there are fish there :mrgreen: .
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Volkswatson wrote:I'm sure there's a list of reefs, wrecks, etc, out there, which would be fun to just explore. I tried to find some recently, but had little luck.

I was also thinking a scuba group would be a good place to start.

-VW
Ding Ding Ding

That what I was thinking. You can probably find gps coordinates to dive spots which, I would assume, would have structure of some sort to hold fish for viewing.
DX2

Post by DX2 »

Prof. Salt wrote:My experience has been that if you put your spots on a public forum they will be covered in fishermen every time you go there and the fishing will decline because of the pressure. Put in the time, beginning with a map, and find yourself a spot that you and a few friends can enjoy.

Be aware that power boaters troll this site looking to potlick rather than put in the time themselves, so if you find a nice structure you might limit the news to Pms between those you know.
That's no joke ^^^
jhunter77

Post by jhunter77 »

Any other tips? Thanks
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/gis/ris/artificialreefs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;