guadalupe river in kerrville?

bayroan

guadalupe river in kerrville?

Post by bayroan »

Lookin at hittin up the river soon in kerrville, thinkin of putting in at the place called serenity island right of highway 16 since it looks the easiest and fastest place to get to, does anyone know of any good spots in the area?
neon14

Re: guadalupe river in kerrville?

Post by neon14 »

Flat rock lake is a nice place to get on the water. Its free, plenty of parking. I have never heard of serenity island.
Yakfoot

Post by Yakfoot »

The river section there at the park will give you good shelter if it is windy. If you are fly fishing then it would be a good spot. If you are after bass or catfish I would recommend Flatrock Lake. It is the impoundment that is the farthest downstream here in Kerrville. Flatrock is not marked as such on the last Google Earth image I saw. Never mind the google labels, Flatrock begins where veterans loop crosses the river by the VA hospital. Flatrock is 1.3 miles long and a hazard for motor boats due to rocks, stumps and logs. You can put in at the Kerrville Schreiner Park or for free at either the public boat ramp or what used to be an old gravel boat ramp. Those ramps are on the north side of the lake at the public park. On the east end (dam side) there are a lot of lilly pads that I have heard from some bass fisherman are good for bass. There is a lot of flooded timber in the lake as well. I have heard of some really nice bass coming out of the lake. It also has quite a few good sized channel cats. I was fishing in some of the deepwater stickups for perch this week and a 3+ lb channel nailed my #8 hook and tidbit on the end. Seemed like it must have taken 10 min. to wrangle him out of all the stumps with that light outfit.

My recommended launch point for Flatrock is lat 30.0084 long -99.1145. That point you can see on G Earth is the old gravel ramp. There is a grassy lawn next to it were you can just back up and slide your yak into the water. Give me a pm if you have any questions. I can help you out with catfish but am not much of a bass fisherman.
pop1655

Post by pop1655 »

I like Nimitz.
Either launch, Chili's or across from Mini Mart.
Pretty much makes it two totally different pieces of water.
My "go to" is the ramp across from Mini Mart.
I also like to launch at Ingram and go up.
bayroan

Post by bayroan »

Thanks for the advice guys! I just thought it looked real nice where 16 crosses over the river but I'm sure all the swimmers don't help the fishing, is anyone going out to fish at flat rock anytime soon that would maybe like some company? I like to fish for bass and catfish I just hadn't found a decent place for catfish. And coming from fredericksburg can I get some driections? Sorry I'm new to kerrville and haven't gone exploring really so I know highway 16 until the river and junction highway till walmart haha
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

Louise Hays Park is where you are describing off Hwy 16. It's OK, but you may find Flat Rock or Nemitz better for you. I always fish up river from Hays park to avoid he swimmers It's just a small area, but protected from the wind. The river portion of all the Kerrville lakes provide some protection form the wind.

Flat Rock can be tough with a wind. The lake in Ingram is good with a South wind as it runs East to West. Not recommended on the weekend though. Lots of boats on a small lake.