Brazos River from Sugar Land to Rosharon Report

forager

Post by forager »

Just spent the past 45 mins making a very detailed, chronological trip report with tons of pics, then right when I finished my computer crashed before I clicked submit. I don't have the time or patience to do another detailed report so here's a shorter one with mainly just photos.

We put in at Hwy 59 in Sugar Land and got picked up by FM 1462 near Rosharon. It was a fun overnight trip of around 25 miles if I remember correctly. It was a beautiful stretch of river that I always wanted to see. Next trip will be from Rosharon to the Gulf but will wait until it cools down a bit first.

Our camp site was just a small sandbar along a deep channel.

Here's the report. Other than the gar (live bait), all fish were caught on dip bait and released, except the ones you see on the stringer at the end....we caught those near 1462 so we had our ride bring an ice chest when they picked us up. Even then we threw most of the fish we caught at the spot back we just kept 4.

We missed another big (5 footer) gator gar on live bait....I guess the hook wasn't far enough down yet.

I'll try to keep the pics chronological:

Last edited by forager on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forager

Re: Brazos River from Sugar Land to Rosharon Report

Post by forager »

Some of the other pics
Attachments
And the catfish we caught from near 1462
And the catfish we caught from near 1462
And the gar from the campsite
And the gar from the campsite
Calf Deep

Post by Calf Deep »

I fished the brazos near sugarland HARD for three days last week from shore and didn't get a single bite, used the same baits you guys did too :lol: If you're looking for a third, shoot me a PM next time.
forager

Post by forager »

Calf Deep wrote:I fished the brazos near sugarland HARD for three days last week from shore and didn't get a single bite, used the same baits you guys did too :lol: If you're looking for a third, shoot me a PM next time.
Haha alright next time we make a trip I'll shoot you a PM, don't know when it'll be though. When paddling the river I was surprised that most of it, including the areas I usually bank fish without much luck, where only 2-3 feet deep. The majority of this part of the river is very shallow, even where it looks deep. We caught all the fish where we found deeper channels around bends in the current. With the dip bait it was constant action. At our two spots we stopped for lunch each day near these deeper channels we might of only stopped for 30 mins-1 hr but still managed 7-8 fish per spot when we stopped. Now I know where not to waste my time bank fishing anymore :mrgreen:
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Post up next time you plan on heading out. I would like to join you guys.
Denny1

Post by Denny1 »

Thanks for the report and pictures. Looks like a great time was had by all. May be interested in the trip to the coast. Please send me a note when you start planning the trip. :cat: Spring
JPaul

Post by JPaul »

livetofish wrote:Post up next time you plan on heading out. I would like to join you guys.
X2
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Good job. I've been wanting to do that paddle but wanted a report first. You think it's doable in a 1day trip?
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Heck if its ok I'd like too tag along on the 1462-gulf stretch, ought to be good!
forager

Post by forager »

Thanks guys. I'll post up an invite next time we do a trip like this, the more the merrier. I'm looking forward to the 1462-Gulf paddle but will probably wait until fall.....It was HOT out there. Also, that trip will probably be a 3-4 nighter due to it being a bit of a ways further....I think it's around 55 miles of river.

Nano-Skiff wrote:Good job. I've been wanting to do that paddle but wanted a report first. You think it's doable in a 1day trip?
I just mapped this trip out specifically and it was 29.5 miles......that's a heck of a paddle for a one day trip. Maybe if you were only paddling and not fishing you could knock it out if you went from dusk to dawn....but I would recommend making it an over nighter if you want to make it more enjoyable. Your gonna have to get out and walk your kayak a few times so keep that in mind too.
trouttracker
Location: Lake Jackson , TX. ACK Wilderness Systems Ambassador

Post by trouttracker »

Next time you do it let me know would love to be along.
forager

Post by forager »

I'll definitely post up an invite next time I do a trip like this since there seems to be a lot of interest in it. I put a mini video together of the trip and just posted it in the fishing report forum for whoever is interested.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=202167" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mellow-Yellow

Post by Mellow-Yellow »

Cool trip, looks like you caught channel cats during the day and some nice blues at night. I usually fish the river from my yak up a little further from where you put in at. Next time try some rooster tails in grey minnow, casting to the banks while drifting (caught a good bit of my channel cats like that). Next time y'all go defiantly post up, if I can make the trip I would love to go.
forager

Post by forager »

Mellow-Yellow wrote:Cool trip, looks like you caught channel cats during the day and some nice blues at night. I usually fish the river from my yak up a little further from where you put in at. Next time try some rooster tails in grey minnow, casting to the banks while drifting (caught a good bit of my channel cats like that). Next time y'all go defiantly post up, if I can make the trip I would love to go.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot next time. I was kickin myself for not bringing any artificials on this trip. I'll probably also bring a larger swim bait set up on a bigger rod next time to cast near the numerous brush and branch piles we passed. A lot of them looked very "flatheadish"
Tom Baty

Post by Tom Baty »

Thanks for posting the pictures and report! I went to school in College Station and spent a lot of time on the Brazos. I lived a 10 minute drive from it, and was down there all the time. Those pictures look just like the area around where I lived. Brought back a lot of good memories.
Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Zebco »

Looks like a successful expedition!

And I love the picture with the cow!