how much wind is too much?

IndyKid

how much wind is too much?

Post by IndyKid »

At what point do you guys hang up your fly rods when the wind starts blowing? This week is looking to be a windyish one, but the anticipation of catching my first red on fly might be enough to make me say screw it and go anyways. I think 15 would be doable
aggie182
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: how much wind is too much?

Post by aggie182 »

IndyKid wrote:At what point do you guys hang up your fly rods when the wind starts blowing? This week is looking to be a windyish one, but the anticipation of catching my first red on fly might be enough to make me say screw it and go anyways. I think 15 would be doable
It depends. I fished for bonefish in 30 mph because I had one day to do it. I have fished for reds on the fly in 20 mph because I don't get the chance to get out much. My wind tolerance depends more on when my next trip can/will be more than anything else. Otherwise, if you cant cast affectively due to the wind, it's probably time for conventional.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

A 15 to 20 l wind doesn't deter me. My casts are within 40 ft, but they are still fairly accurate. Higher wind, and I amt restirctied to casting down wind.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Depending on your location, you can often find a spot at least partially sheltered from the wind. Sometimes conditions will permit short casts; for instance, fishing a gut under a strong tide or shallow enough water to see the reds anyway in spite of the wind and roiled water. If you know the area you are fishing, sometimes you can adapt to the conditions and put together something that works. But, if you aren't having fun (for instance, ever lose a whole bunch of flies that blew away when you opened the fly box to tie on a new one? Ever slap yourself in the back so hard with a fly that the pain had you gasping for breath? Ever try to fish when you know you're getting hits but the wind makes it impossible to see or feel your line?), then take it to the house; you're defeating the purpose of recreation.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Ever slap yourself in the back so hard with a fly that the pain had you gasping for breath? yes I tryed to fish the surf over the 4th weekend at surfside. Wind was strong out of the south and I don't care what anyone has to say there was no way to cast in that wind and have fun fishing...so I went back to truck and got a kite out and flew it and drank beer...
Bowfin47

Post by Bowfin47 »

More than I care to fight on that particular day...
flyguy66

Post by flyguy66 »

These are all good and honest answers, but to give some objective standard to measure by...

I feel like I can fish effectively and enjoy it in most situations in up to a 25 mph wind in a flats/bay boat and about 20 mph in a kayak. This has taken work, experiential learning, and acquiring the right tackle for the conditions over a period of years. So there are a lot of variables. If I can't make accurate casts to at least 60 feet due to the conditions, then I feel like it's time to switch to conventional gear.

Even after all these years, tons of training from world-renowned masters, and several certifications, I'm not about to act like some days aren't better than others just due to how I feel. That's why I like the answers these other folks gave you. But most of the great fly anglers I'm privileged to have fished with can still fish effectively until you get near 30 mph. Then things start to get very frustrating due to rapidly deteriorating capabilities. If you talk to Lefty Kreh and guys in that "class," they're likely to regale you with tales of extreme situations on destination trips when they've fished in 50 mph winds. Yes, I've cast a fly rod in a gale force wind and I can form a loop and make a cast...not a pretty or terribly accurate one, but a cast. But who wants to? I don't even fish conventional tackle in much more than a 35 mph wind because it stops being fun and being out in small boats in that can become pretty sporty!
Flyfisher87

Post by Flyfisher87 »

good information!
JPChavez
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by JPChavez »

I agree with most of what has been said. How much wind is too much when fly fishing depends on your casting ability and stubbornness to catch fish on the fly. Your tolerance is directly proportional to your casting proficiency and stubbornness

The mantra from the guides in the Bahamas when dealing with the wind is "the wind is your friend...the clouds are your enemy." Those words have stuck with me. The more I fly fish, the more I find it to be true.
IndyKid

Post by IndyKid »

reason I ask is because I wanted to head out this week and it looked to be a windy one. definitely agree different skill levels can handle different wind. Last time I was out with a lot of wind I just stuck it out instead of picking of the baitcaster, just for the sake of learning how to work with it despite knowing I wouldn't catch anything. got the chance to go to Galveston and luckily for me the winds were down compared to the port a area. Posted a report. On a side note looking to go out to port A next Wednesday, if anyone is free feel free to drop me a line! Could use some pointers from more experienced fly slingers. Been teaching myself with youtube videos thus far
eightweight

Post by eightweight »

Agree, it's never really too much wind to fly fish. But it depends. I've fished bonefish flats in thunderstorms. Once the wind and driving rain was so heavy it seemed to be raining straight up from the water. Repeatedly had to pull the fly from the back of my leg. But I caught fish. The only thing that can drive me off a flat is thunder and lightening.

But here closer to home, I can go pretty much any weekend I choose, but I can't fish every weekend. So I watch the weather. If the weekend is going to be blue skys, winds 5-10 mph, and a rising tide in the morning, I'll be out there for sure. In October - November, I'll find any excuse to get out there during the week, take off from work, let the grass grow, whatever. I think those conditions are ideal for sight casting to tailing or cruising reds. Days when the wind is a bit higher, 15-25 mph, and the sky is overcast are certainly fishable. But there's more chop on the water, and visibility is not so good. It's more blind casting, which is also fun. But like I said, I can't go every weekend.